Suggestions on where to contribute

Fredrik Malmfors

Oct 1, 2019, 7:13:41 AM10/1/19

Hello everyone!

As part of a university course, where the goal is to contribute to a large open source project, I chose django. I’m currently in the process of studying the structure of the source code.

Anyway, if anyone has a suggestion for a django component to study more in depth (perhaps where the most work is needed), let me know. I’d also love to get suggestions for suitable accepted tickets to start looking into.

I do understand that django is a pretty mature project already, but I’d like to at least attempt to contribute. It doesn’t have to be code, it could as well be documentation.

Kind regards,

Fredrik

Kye Russell

Oct 1, 2019, 7:17:27 AM10/1/19
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
The ORM! Good luck!

Carlton Gibson

Oct 1, 2019, 11:17:15 AM10/1/19
Hi Fredrik

Welcome!

If you go to Trac, and View Tickets, you can filter by Component.

It's worth spending a few minutes trying different components, and perhaps a few other filters to get the feel for it.

The top three components by ticket numbers, with a comment from me about them are:

1. The ORM: Certainly the hardest bit, but if you know about DBs and are prepared to get to get your hands dirty, it's not impossible to get a feel for. If you begin, you'll find plenty of people who will lend you their expertise to get you further.

2. The Admin: The trick here is often testing HTML output. That together with that the Admin is very powerful, and so can take some time to get your head around. I'd say most issues here are not super-hard per se, but rather need time and love to get them resolved.

3. Documentation. These can be on any part of Django. They're a great learning opportunity because you have to understand an issue before you can then write clearly about it. Again, often time, rather than difficult per se.

Those would be the primary targets, but if you wanted to pick a component with less open tickets, you could become an expert there, and clear out the lot. :)

There are many opportunities to get involved there. (The are >1200 open accepted tickets!)

Also there's djangoproject.com, django-people, django-snippets, django-packages, ... that all need love. Then there's the whole third-party ecosystem: most of those packages are under-maintained. I'd say "mature" means more surface area, rather than less. :)

Hopefully that helps. Have a look around. Let me know if you need more guidance from there.

Kind Regards,

Carlton

Fredrik Malmfors

Oct 2, 2019, 3:18:05 PM10/2/19

Thanks a lot for the well written response, especially for the comments about each of the top components.

I’ll give the ORM a try, certainly looks interesting!

Best regards,

Fredrik