status of 1.9 release blockers

Tim Graham

Aug 24, 2015, 3:40:22 PM8/24/15
Time to kickoff the progress tracker for the next major release!

Here's the status with 4 weeks to go until alpha (September 21).

Release blockers:

- Add Oracle support for new-style GIS functions
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/24688
Owner: Jani Tiainen

Other tickets tagged for 1.9:

- No way to create tables for apps without migrations
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/25144
Owner: pending discussion

- Replace admin icons images by inline SVG
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/20597
Owner: elky

- Update tutorial screenshots for new admin theme
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/25200

Relevant ticket filters:

Release blockers affecting master:
https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=assigned&status=new&version=master&severity=Release+blocker

Tickets tagged 1.9:
https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=assigned&status=new&keywords=~1.9

Tim Graham

Sep 4, 2015, 3:55:22 PM9/4/15
Status with 2 weeks and a weekend to go until alpha (Monday, September 21).

Planned major features for 1.9:

PostgreSQL Full Text Search (Marc Tamlyn)

I haven't seen any recent activity on the pull request, nor have I heard anything from Marc about it.

https://github.com/django/django/pull/4726

Custom indexes (Marc Tamlyn)

I haven't see any work on revising the DEP, so this seem out for 1.9.

https://github.com/django/deps/pull/6

Template-based widget rendering (Preston Timmons)
I think the code is in fairly good shape. It seems the main work left to is to write documentation.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/4848

Release blockers:

- Add Oracle support for new-style GIS functions
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/24688
Owner: Jani Tiainen

Tim Graham

Sep 12, 2015, 7:50:31 PM9/12/15
With 1 week to go until alpha:

I haven't heard anything from Marc or Preston on the major features from the last mail.

Jani continues to give updates in #django-dev about his progress on getting the Oracle GIS backend working. Things seem to be on track for finishing up by alpha.

Tim Graham

Sep 18, 2015, 10:01:49 AM9/18/15
The major features are officially deferred. Let's try for the feature freeze by end of day on Monday and the alpha release on Tuesday.

There aren't any critical blockers at this time. Jani hasn't completed the Oracle GIS work, but this isn't a must-have for alpha.

Marc Tamlyn

Sep 18, 2015, 10:03:45 AM9/18/15
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Sorry everyone :(

Tim Graham

Sep 21, 2015, 9:08:22 PM9/21/15
Let's consider master feature frozen for now. There are two more patches I'd like to merge before we cut the 1.9 branch.

#21231 -- Enforced a max size for POST values read into memory
https://github.com/django/django/pull/3852

#24509 -- Added Expression support to SQLInsertCompiler
https://github.com/django/django/pull/5324

Tim Graham

Sep 22, 2015, 12:54:50 PM9/22/15
The second patch has been committed, and the first one is still under review.

Florian says "with all that forth and back [on the pull request] I am not sure if it is not better to defer it to 1.10, i.e. I completely missed the base64 stuff for instance. One option would be to ship it with the feature inactive and mark it as experimental and ask users to try it out. Though, that would probably be a first."

I'd also be more comfortable if it were disabled by default. The main problem for me is the documentation doesn't really motivate the feature very well and describe how one should go about setting the values of the new settings.

1) Defer the patch to 1.10 and release the alpha today.
2) Maintain the feature freeze until the end of the week to see if the patch is better resolved by then (fix bugs on master in the meantime) and release the alpha then (whether or not the patch is completed).
3) Create the 1.9 branch today to allow normal development to proceed on master and release the alpha by the end of the week with the option to backport the patch if it's completed.

Opinions?

Russell Keith-Magee

Sep 22, 2015, 8:25:50 PM9/22/15
to Django Developers
On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 12:54 AM, Tim Graham <timog...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The second patch has been committed, and the first one is still under
> review.
>
> Florian says "with all that forth and back [on the pull request] I am not
> sure if it is not better to defer it to 1.10, i.e. I completely missed the
> base64 stuff for instance. One option would be to ship it with the feature
> inactive and mark it as experimental and ask users to try it out. Though,
> that would probably be a first."
>
> I'd also be more comfortable if it were disabled by default. The main
> problem for me is the documentation doesn't really motivate the feature very
> well and describe how one should go about setting the values of the new
> settings.

> 1) Defer the patch to 1.10 and release the alpha today.
> 2) Maintain the feature freeze until the end of the week to see if the patch
> is better resolved by then (fix bugs on master in the meantime) and release
> the alpha then (whether or not the patch is completed).
> 3) Create the 1.9 branch today to allow normal development to proceed on
> master and release the alpha by the end of the week with the option to
> backport the patch if it's completed.
>
> Opinions?

For me, it depends on how close Florian et al think the patch is. If
it's "close, but a few things need to be tweaked", then option 2 or 3
sounds good to me. A couple of days won't make much difference in the
overall schedule, so whichever is easier for Tim to manage works for
me. If it's "oh no, we missed this major use case", then option 1 is
probably where we are.

Russ %-)

Florian Apolloner

Sep 23, 2015, 4:11:39 AM9/23/15

On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 2:25:50 AM UTC+2, Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
For me, it depends on how close Florian et al think the patch is. If
it's "close, but a few things need to be tweaked", then option 2 or 3
sounds good to me. A couple of days won't make much difference in the
overall schedule, so whichever is easier for Tim to manage works for
me. If it's "oh no, we missed this major use case", then option 1 is
probably where we are.

My time this week is basically zero, someone else would have to make the decission (I will probably without internet starting on friday). Whatever works for Tim should be fine for me though.

Cheers,
Florian

Tom Christie

Sep 23, 2015, 5:15:07 AM9/23/15
Given that it addresses such a core component I'd probably rather see it deferred to 1.10.

I'd hope that doesn't affect the motivation of the author (it's a fiddly bit of work to get right and its good to see it being addressed) but from my point of view it'd be better to see it really thoroughly reviewed before commit.

As one example it's not clear what the preferred resolution of this point should be. Should the `DATA_UPLOAD_MAX_MEMORY_SIZE` guard include accessing `request.body` directly or not? (Related to Tim's point re. documentation.)

As I say, its good work, and I'd like to see it reach completion, but its not the sort of change we should be rushing.

(I wouldn't oppose a contrary judgement on it tho)

Tom Christie

Sep 23, 2015, 5:18:01 AM9/23/15
To back that up I'll make a formal commitment to helping review & ensure completion of the PR if it *does* get deferred to 1.10.

Markus Holtermann

Sep 23, 2015, 6:39:58 AM9/23/15
I did not fully follow the discussion, but by the amount of email notifications I got on that PR if feels to me that deferring it to 1.10 would be the better option, also considering what Tom said about this being part of a core component and it has to be done right.

/Markus

Tim Graham

Sep 23, 2015, 9:46:40 AM9/23/15
I'm okay with deferring it. I'll see if we can release the alpha later today then. I found one regression in the unreviewed ticket queue this morning and submitted a pull request. I'm also investigating a possible regression causing the djangoproject.com tests to fail.

Tim Graham

Sep 23, 2015, 3:17:28 PM9/23/15
All known issues are resolved. I plan to create the branch and make the release in about 4 hours if nothing else pops up.

Tim Graham

Oct 3, 2015, 10:31:13 AM10/3/15
We've resolved a couple of release blockers on the stable/1.9.x branch since the alpha, but overall bug reports have been quiet. Hopefully that's a good sign!

The beta release is scheduled for 2 weeks + 2 days from now, Monday October 19.

Tim Graham

Oct 17, 2015, 7:41:55 PM10/17/15
We're on schedule for Monday's beta release. Most of the backported fixes have been issues affecting 1.8 too.

Tim Graham

Nov 14, 2015, 3:17:27 PM11/14/15
Sorry for the lack of updates, but no news is good news. We're on track for a release candidate on Monday.

Tim Graham

Nov 30, 2015, 2:26:56 PM11/30/15
We're on schedule for 1.9 final tomorrow. There are 3 release blockers in Trac, however, 1 blocker affects only master and the other two also affect 1.8 and thus aren't blockers for 1.9.