Updating logging docs

Lee Trout

Dec 30, 2014, 2:12:38 PM12/30/14
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey gang,

I finally got past 1.5 and I'm finding so many nice features in 1.7. Thanks to everyone!

To my surprise logging had an overhaul from #21714 [0] and I found the documentation a bit confusing / lacking of details.

Theres an explanation of merging settings in https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.7/topics/logging/#configuring-logging but no description of what the defaults are.

Visiting https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.7/topics/logging/#django-s-default-logging-configuration doesn't offer any more help to understanding the technical details.

I'd like to see a mention of the defaults existing in `django.utils.log.DEFAULT_LOGGING` at a minimum. Given the desire to understand the entire technical scope I think it would be worth repeating the default settings in the default logging configuration heading at the bottom of the page (and toss a comment in django.utils.log that if it's updated remember to update the docs).

Thoughts?

Thanks & Happy New Year!
Lee

Daniele Procida

Dec 30, 2014, 2:19:36 PM12/30/14
On Tue, Dec 30, 2014, Lee Trout <leet...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'd like to see a mention of the defaults existing in
>`django.utils.log.DEFAULT_LOGGING` *at a minimum*. Given the desire to
>understand the entire technical scope I think it would be worth repeating
>the default settings in the default logging configuration heading at the
>bottom of the page (and toss a comment in django.utils.log that if it's
>updated remember to update the docs).
>
>Thoughts?

I think that logging needs a proper step-by-step how-to, not more topic or reference documentation. That would make the existing documentation far more meaningful.

It's something I've been meaning to look at for a couple of years at least, but I'm not actually any closer to it.

Daniele

Tim Graham

Dec 30, 2014, 2:21:53 PM12/30/14
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Definitely would be welcome. Perhaps these tickets cover at least some of your points:

https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/23394 - Need documentation for merging the project's logging configuration with Django's defaults
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/23784 -
Error reporting docs needs to state clearly that changing logging conf error emails are not sent out unless configuring it again

I'll be happy to review anything you'd like to draft.