RFC: #30053 Allow for conditional QuerySet.update_or_create()

Joshua Cannon

Dec 28, 2018, 11:15:33 AM12/28/18
Howdy folks!

At the suggestion of Simon Charette, I'd like to get feedback on how the community feels about the feature request #30053.
The gist of the problem is that sometimes the "update" part of "update_or_create" should be conditional. The proposed solution adds a backwards-compatible "update_condition" parameter to "update_or_create" which should be a unary callable that takes in the retrieved table instance and returns a boolean of whether the update should be performed.

Nasir Hussain has already started work on a possible solution on PR 10800.

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts.

charettes

Dec 28, 2018, 11:31:49 AM12/28/18
Thanks for taking the time to post here Joshua!

The main reason why I asked to gather feedback from this list is that I'm not convinced
that the benefits outweighs the additional complexity this will add to the already quite
loaded update_or_create() signature handling and how the fact a callable predicate
is not something that is used anywhere else in Django AFAIK.

The fact this can be achieved with the same number of queries by doing a
save(update_fields) from the return value of a previous get_or_create with a
bit of boilerplate[0] pushes me to a -1 because I don't think it's a common enough
pattern to warrant the addition of a specialized option.

Cheers,
Simon

Adam Johnson

Dec 28, 2018, 1:38:04 PM12/28/18
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
I think the use case is probably quite niche, and I'd like to know some more concrete details than the current comment on the ticket "(E.g. only update if the value of a DateTimeField is less than some value)". It may be there's a way to achieve the same application-level outcome using a different design. If it is necessary, there are also some analogous use cases, like passing a 'create' condition predicate or passing conditions to get_or_create, that it seems it would make sense to implement at the same time but would complicate Django and the scope of the change further.

Also I agree with Simon that passing around predicate callables doesn't feel very Django-ey or pythonic.

Adam

Joshua Cannon

Dec 31, 2018, 11:30:39 AM12/31/18
Personally, the snippet suggested in the ticket is sufficient for my needs (although I'm saddened by having to duplicate the setattr logic).
However, I filed the ticket after Googling "Django conditional update_or_create" and finding no appropriate solution. You might be right about the use case being niche, however others have ran into this too, with the proposed solutions being less-than-ideal.
(I won't link anything here, but searching stackoverflow for "Django conditional update_or_create" should lead you to the same question/answers I came across).

Perhaps the "solution" here isn't additional code, but rather a section in documentation that suggests a solution? It's extremely unfortunate that this is easy to get wrong in so many ways, but also isn't appropriate to add directly to Django.

Collin Anderson

Jan 2, 2019, 9:45:09 AM1/2/19
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Seems to me a documentation example or improvement could be helpful.