Aldryn Newsblog and Django 1.10 (or 1.11 LTS) Support

Aubrey Taylor

May 1, 2017, 7:29:30 PM5/1/17
to django CMS developers
I'm here because the maintainers at Aldryn Newsblog keep closing issues requesting support for supported versions of Django.

Django 1.10 support ends this december, 1.9 ended in April.

The problem is that Aldryn Newsblog pins to (no greater than) 1.9.x in the latest version which means its only compatible with an unsupported version of Django.

To quote the Aldryn Newsblog docs:

> Divio is committed to Aldryn News & Blog as a high-quality application that helps set standards for others in the Aldryn/django CMS ecosystem, and as a healthy open source project.

Only supporting a now defunct version of Django seems to contradict this statement a bit. And I can only imagine users at Divio are unaware that they are likely running on an-unsupported version of Django if they are also using Aldryn Newsblog.

My question is, what is the ETA (if any) for a version of Aldryn newsblog that at least supports Django 1.10 (though it really should aim at Django 1.11 support since that is scheduled for LTS).

Thanks for your time and responses.

(PS. Issues at the Aldryn Newsblog repo have been opened and subsequently closed. The maintainers directed the OP here, but I could not find a matching topic).

Best Regards,
Aubrey Taylor

Angelo Dini

May 2, 2017, 2:57:07 AM5/2/17
to django CMS developers
Hello Aubrey

It is indeed true that we have lacked support for Aldryn News & Blog due to time restraints on our hand. We are heavily involved into Divio Cloud and have recently upgraded the Core Addons to our latest standards (https://www.django-cms.org/en/blog/2017/02/01/core-addons/). We are also currently working on Django 1.11 support for django CMS 3.4.x (https://github.com/divio/django-cms/pull/5932)

I'm sorry that progress on the essential addons (Newsblog, People, FAQ, Jobs, Events) are lacking and we most likely will not update them until we have introduced 1.11 support. After that we want to upgrade the core addons and switch after that our focus to the essential addons.

You are welcome to propose pull request and you can always ping be (FinalAngel) to have a second look or ask the corresponding people for help.

Thank You
Angelo

MOSTSELFISHMAN

May 4, 2017, 1:45:25 PM5/4/17
to django CMS developers
I am also interested in this. It would be useful to know which version of Django and Django-CMS one should use at the moment to be considered most up-to-date. I built a small site using Django 1.8 last month just to try things out. As far as I understand, the latest version of Django that would keep Django-CMS and Aldryn News & Blog happy is 1.9. Am I correct to think that?

Angelo Dini

May 5, 2017, 4:33:08 AM5/5/17
to django CMS developers
That is correct, though I'd stick with Django 1.8 (as it's still an LTS) though we'll be introducing 1.11 support soonisch.

Best
Angelo

michael...@rz.uni-augsburg.de

Aug 10, 2017, 8:17:40 AM8/10/17
to django CMS developers
Is there a planned release date in the near future for django 1.11 support?

Daniele Procida

Aug 15, 2017, 7:11:51 PM8/15/17
to django CMS developers
On Thu, Aug 10, 2017, michael...@rz.uni-augsburg.de <michael...@rz.uni-augsburg.de> wrote:

>Is there a planned release date in the near future for django 1.11 support?

Some time soon - we can't give an exact date, but we are working on it.

Daniele