Modifying orientation?

SAS

Sep 4, 2019, 11:45:16 AM9/4/19
to DIYbio
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/Biohackers/comments/aawykp/modifying_sexual_orientation/

Biohackers discusses modifying orientation. What do people think about the possibilities?

Yuriy

Sep 9, 2019, 2:08:38 AM9/9/19
to DIYbio
wow, edgy. what a can of worms that just opened up. What if governments or political parties could sway sexual orientation and votes by just tossing additives in tap water to control master regulators?

I didn't know there was such a thing as kinsey scale.

Cathal Garvey

Sep 9, 2019, 3:39:52 AM9/9/19
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Whenever questions like this arise I automatically ask "why though".

The answers are rarely savoury enough to merit discussion.

If a person is gay, is there a reason they might want to find the opposite sex attractive? If so, is that reason because of external bigotry or internalised self-hate?

The opposite, of making "straight" people behave less straight, was once a research topic for the US military apparatus. The assumption was that if the enemy were all gay then they'd naturally become bad at fighting because they'd be too obsessed with one another. The whole concept was based on stupid and bigoted assumptions, but what else does one expect from a "gay bomb" project?

Chris Santos-Lang

Sep 9, 2019, 6:35:13 PM9/9/19
to diy...@googlegroups.com
This discussion seems to be about modifying a lot more than just sexual orientation. The same technology could supposedly permit people to become a type-A, more conscientious, less-introverted (etc). People could use it to improve their odds of acceptance by elite colleges and employers. They could use it to become more attractive to a loved-one.

To be honest, diversity is more valuable to society than it is to the individuals who contribute that diversity. Right now, society doesn't need to compensate people for being diverse--individuals are stuck with whatever hand they were dealt--so society would face a new pressure if individuals could escape their diversity. This bio-hack could shift social power in a big way.

Before that time comes, society needs to reach agreement about whether to prioritize society or the individual. If we each exist to be part of something larger than ourselves, then let's use the technology to give society even more diversity: develop sexual orientations that never existed before! On the other hand, if we serve society only so far as we have no other choice, then this bio-hack is where society transforms from a heterogeneous body into a homogeneous slime, finally making way for non-humans to take over.

Best Wishes,

Chris

Learn more at www.diybio.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/4F84E407-DBE9-48F3-908D-8869DDC45673%40cathalgarvey.me.

Al

Sep 26, 2019, 9:05:29 AM9/26/19
to DIYbio
Well the pavlov way can always work ^^

cathal...@cathalgarvey.me

Sep 26, 2019, 10:50:22 AM9/26/19
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Historically it has never worked for sexual orientation or gender identity, but I'll assume you were kidding. :)

Bear in mind that people on the receiving end of these "therapies" often end up with varying degrees of trauma or self-loathing, so it's rarely taken well, as a joke. I'm not one of them, but this large list probably has a lot of people who have been on the receiving end of a "pavlov way" attempt to change their orientation or gender identity.

Learn more at www.diybio.org

Aldric Liottier

Sep 26, 2019, 11:15:26 AM9/26/19
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Ouch yeah...
You’ve got to have something missing in your brain to try that on another human