2016 in review?

Kevin Chen

Dec 31, 2016, 10:54:05 AM12/31/16
to DIYbio
Hi all!

It's that time of the year again! Anyone have reflections for the past year? Big wins for DIYBio in 2016? Excited for something coming up next year?

Here are a few of my highlights off the top of my head:
  1. At Bricobio we finally found some physical space to start a lab (woo! hometeam)
  2. BentoLab ran their kickstarter campaign
  3. Canada held its first DIYbio Summit, bringing together all the Canadian DIYbio spaces, which is a challenge since we're so spread out.
  4. I visited the Waag Society and the L4B (The LAB? / LA DIYbio) for the first time. Great spaces and amazing people!
  5. In hacker conferences in the US: HOPEXI happened again featuring more bio content and a biohacking village, DefCon also had a biohacking village. Shout outs to the organizers!
  6. Thanks to the ODIN a lot of us got to do a DIY CRISPR experiment, which is just one of the many amazing things coming from those guys.
I'm sure that I'm missing many other cool things that happened. Anyone else?

Koeng

Dec 31, 2016, 1:48:23 PM12/31/16
to DIYbio
BioHack The Planet conference was this year as well, which was a great event for meeting other people in the community

Kevin Chen

Dec 31, 2016, 5:03:21 PM12/31/16
to DIYbio
OH YEAH! How could I miss that one? I heard that was a good time, and will be watching to get it in my calendar for next year. :)

da3v

Dec 31, 2016, 7:06:08 PM12/31/16
to DIYbio
It was definitely a great year for FamiLAB!
  • We participated in bio.academany.org 's HTGAA program. It has been amazing, and exhausting, and I'm sad that the 2016 class is almost over.
  • We hosted OpenBio Codefest 2016. The most focused and productive group of developers I've ever run into.
  • Some of our members attended HOPEXI where the bio presence has been growing nicely. I'm ooking forward to 2018!
  • We participated in CGSR's Independent Biotechnology:Innovation-regulation workshop.  It was a great event, and I hope that the conversation continues.
  • Some of our members attended Biohack The Planet, which was fantastic, and I hope that it becomes a regular event. (Ideally one that is scheduled to proceed or follow SynbiobetaSF just a *little* more closely in the future.)
  • For me, the best part was interacting with other spaces. We got a ton of help and support from the folks at BioCurious, CCL, Genspace, and the-odin, and a bunch of great advice from Sebastian.  This is a wonderful community, and we are truly grateful to be able to be a part of it.
Stuff that I didn't get to attend this year, but hear was great:
  • Synthetic Bio presence at SXSW
  • SynbiobetaSF (This is the first year I had to miss it)
  • BioHacker village at DefCon
Looking forward to seeing y'all in 2017!

-Dave

Bryan Jones

Jan 2, 2017, 11:11:35 AM1/2/17
to DIYbio
It was a good year for us! This year MN diybio in Minneapolis, MN  started as a meetup group. And in the year we got lab space at a local non-profit, Spark-Y. We also got donations of basically all the essentials for a molecular biology lab (incubators, bio-safety cabinet, centrifuge, PCR machine, etc. . .) to the point that we have a fully functional lab space now. I'm excited to see what projects will be started in 2017.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/89c396a7-da79-4673-a4cd-5c732a69838a%40googlegroups.com.

John Griessen

Jan 2, 2017, 9:34:41 PM1/2/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On 01/02/2017 10:11 AM, Bryan Jones wrote:
> We also got donations of basically all the essentials for a molecular biology lab (incubators, bio-safety cabinet, centrifuge, PCR
> machine, etc. . .) to the point that we have a fully functional lab space now. I'm excited to see what projects will be started in
> 2017.

Congratulations on the donations!

Josiah Zayner

Jan 6, 2017, 12:56:43 PM1/6/17
to DIYbio
Bryan, if you all need some stuff let us know! We love to support Biohackerspaces either through a nice discount or free supplies.

Josiah Zayner, Ph.D.
The ODIN, Founder & CEO
http://the-odin.com
ca...@the-odin.com