Building DIY bio lab, would like some opinion and help

BHAVNA PANDYA

Dec 7, 2015, 5:10:45 AM12/7/15
to DIYbio
Hello Everyone,

Myself Bhavna Pandya, Innovation catalyst at RiiDL (Reseach Innovation Incubation Design labs) (www.riidl.org), India. I have done Masters in Microbiology, few weeks back I heard a concept of DIY bio and I am totally impressed with this concept, so I am looking forward to start a DIY bio lab here. I have a space of 1200 sq ft but no instruments, so please tell me how to start with it ? and this concept is very new here, so any opinion or suggestions how to build a community for the same ?

eagerly waiting for the reply

thank you,

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Dec 8, 2015, 1:29:45 AM12/8/15
to DIYbio
Hi and welcome!

Why don't you start with simple bacterial transformations with some people to gain traction and assemble a group and then grow the group and get some equipment?

The odin and ebay would be good sources. Well, some of ebays stuff.

First thing I did years ago was ordering pVIB from Carolina for 10$ (plus 30$ shipment)

BHAVNA PANDYA

Dec 9, 2015, 3:37:47 AM12/9/15
to DIYbio
Hi,

yeah thanks :)

is there a need of forming an advisory committee for DIY bio lab ?

210jrd

Dec 22, 2015, 3:32:04 PM12/22/15
to DIYbio
Hi Bhavna, have you made any progress, I have built my own home based DIYBio without spending too much, it has taken me almost a year but I have a nice garage based lab now, I am a retired physician, but you are better qualified in microbiology so maybe we can assist each other. I know very good sources for equipment. JD  ps just incubator shown, have PCR/electrophoresis/centrifuge/microscope etc

2015-07-05 14.28.32 HDR.jpg

Nathan McCorkle

Dec 22, 2015, 3:48:02 PM12/22/15
to diybio
It looks like you're in Mumbai, so I think you should be able to get setup and outfitted relatively easily, since Mumbai is a big shipping port.

I would check alibaba.com and aliexpress.com, there are many equipment suppliers there from India. Things like scalpels, tweezers, glassware, bunsen or alcohol burners, spectroscopes (the really old kind, like here: http://www.scitechantiques.com/Spectroscope/images/463PrismSpectrometer.jpg) as well as chemicals and biologics (enzymes and such).

You can also search the DIYBio archives, I have definitely posted some Indian bio chem suppliers before.

As for a committee, it is not required as DIYbio is all about de-centralized science... but it is very useful to have small local organizations to keep things legal and more importantly safe, and also provide mentorship and guidance, help with logistics (ordering supplies, dealing with suppliers or landlords, utility companies, getting advertisments or signs printed, etc...).

Read through these to get started, and keep asking questions! Welcome!!!

Again, Welcome!
-Nathan

Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/9f24f3e2-e22d-4fd0-964c-453dde0a3cb4%40googlegroups.com.

-Nathan

BHAVNA PANDYA

Dec 28, 2015, 4:03:55 AM12/28/15
to DIYbio
HI,

Yeah, I have approached people to help in this initiative and I've got a very good response directors of two recognized institute are ready to guide me in this. People are spreading word about my initiative. teachers from colleges are also ready to help. I have got a partner who is planning the activity along with me. So in short, I started buiding community but at lab equipment, am still planning.

Yes we can assist each other, are these equipments are precise enough for bio lab ? I mean are they well efficient ?

BHAVNA PANDYA

Dec 28, 2015, 4:33:02 AM12/28/15
to DIYbio
Hi Nathan,

Yes its easy to get equipments here but only if I have that much budget, coz these equipments are costly and as I mentioned earliar, I just have empty room of 1200 sq ft, so i need to get some instruments with very low cost, preferably if someone donates so.

thanks for clearing the doubt about advisory commitee, I have got few people from two organizations, they wants to collaborate with my lab, so that members of this lab will get access to their labs instruments and other facilities. Thats really nice of them, but if members join my lab now n if i guide them towards these institutes lab, will that work ?

Ujjwal Thaakar

Dec 29, 2015, 2:09:32 AM12/29/15
to DIYbio
Hi Bhavana,
We have a small community in New Delhi. A lot of interesting work is happening in Delhi and Bangalore. So you are in Mumbai. You could get in touch with Maker's Asylum through which you can connect to us and we can setup something. It's good you're trying to do this. DIYBio is indeed very ery new for our country and only a handful of people even know about it. Inbox me and we can have a chat about it.

BHAVNA PANDYA

Jan 4, 2016, 7:13:19 AM1/4/16
to DIYbio
Hi Ujjwal,
I already know Vaibhav Chhabra from Maker's asylum. We had done some collaborative work in our past event. Vaibhav knows us (RiiDL) very well. I'll surely talk to him about this. And yes DIY bio is indeed a very good platform for all the biologist. Lets make it big. :)

Ujjwal Thaakar

Jan 4, 2016, 11:11:26 AM1/4/16
to DIYbio
Vaibhav is here right now. I'll talk to him tomorrow. We're doing quite a few things here.
Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.

Thanks
Ujjwal

Reshma Bhatnagar

Jan 13, 2016, 5:47:49 AM1/13/16
to DIYbio
Hi Bhavna,

Depends on what exactly you want to do. First make a list of instruments that you would need and those that you would like (but are not essential). Check out:

1. Ebay/2nd Hand - but you'll probably get most of what you need only in the US/International stores, so check if your college/institute is planning to get rid of their old equipment/upgrade.
2. Build it yourself - PCRs and Centrifuges are easy to build and instructions abound. Try instructables.com
3. Buy them new - Happily in India, many instruments (local brands) are available cheap. Remi builds world class centrifuges at a fraction of Eppendorf's cost. Balances are cheap as well, but depend on accuracy and least count. Same is true for micropipettes. An Indian brand can cost 1/10th of Gilson. Also check out alibaba and aliexpress. Chinese stuff is often very cheap. Find bargains.
4. Jugaad (or the more fashionable term, hack) - Aren't you Indian? Especially relevant for ultra pure water. We distill aquaguard water. :-P

Our open space in Navi Mumbai used strategies 2, 3 and 4 for the most part. You can visit us on http://sarbilabs.com

Feel free to contact me.

Regards,
Reshma

BHAVNA PANDYA

Jan 14, 2016, 1:50:07 AM1/14/16
to DIYbio
Yeah sure, Thanks please Inbox your address. I would like to visit your place. And yes we already started using strategy 3 :p

Muralidharan E.M.

Jan 14, 2016, 2:28:36 AM1/14/16
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

In case you are not aware, many manufacturers in India often make equipment cheap for the educational institutions offering biotechnology course( you know how they have mushroomed all over,  in the last decade!). So option 3  is very much viable if you talk to them. Centrifuges ( Don't think Remi is world class, tho' and their service support was awful in the past), PCR machines, bioreactors etc.  might be easy to come by.

Regards

Murali

Learn more at www.diybio.org

Ujjwal Thaakar

Jan 14, 2016, 5:54:47 AM1/14/16
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I'm making a PCR machine that is affordable. Will take a couple of months to get it ready.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Thanks
Ujjwal

syntechbio

Jan 15, 2016, 6:35:09 AM1/15/16
to DIYbio
Hi, check the PCR we did at syntechbio. The link
Is in portuguese but it might help you..

Www.syntechbio.com

BHAVNA PANDYA

Jan 18, 2016, 1:05:51 AM1/18/16
to DIYbio
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. I'm working on it :)