What are the most promising techniques being researched for bio-bots?

Haley Sales

Mar 24, 2020, 8:39:14 PM3/24/20
to DIYbio
I know absolutely nothing at all about bio-bots, crispr-cas9 or biohacking. I don't intend to build bio-bots myself.
I just want to know where the research is at so that I can be aware.
I work with blockchain technology and my research is focused on a "trust protocol" that can influence physical infrastructure. This could impact how we manage physical labs & elect/sort expert opinions on research topics.
But what I'm most interested in is propagating the "watcher infrastructure" of this protocol as efficiently as possible. I imagine that bio-bots would be less expensive than regular robots once we've perfected this research.

Feel free to be as scientific as you want. There will be a lot of terms I don't know, but at least now I can be aware of them, so that when I do research later I can figure out how far along we are.

Andreas "Mega" Stuermer

Mar 25, 2020, 12:41:23 PM3/25/20
to DIYbio
Please define the term biobot

Andreas "Mega" Stuermer

Mar 25, 2020, 12:42:24 PM3/25/20
to DIYbio
A donkey pulling a cart? Bacteria producing insulin? Oncolytic viruses?

Cathal Garvey

Mar 25, 2020, 8:12:35 PM3/25/20
to diy...@googlegroups.com
All of these are 100% the best biobots.

On 25 March 2020 16:42:24 GMT+00:00, "Andreas "Mega" Stuermer" <andreas.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
A donkey pulling a cart? Bacteria producing insulin? Oncolytic viruses?

Yuriy

Mar 25, 2020, 10:30:31 PM3/25/20
to DIYbio
When you mention bio-bots, in my non expert opinion, they are mechanically stitched clump of cells functioning on a principle of cellular motors, having some rigid structure to flex off.
They can't be used outside the lab. They can't be used outside the liquid media. This will be useless unless as cells used can be harvested and cultured on a more immunologically and pH, salt, CO2/O2-buffering cell and media independent environment.

The bio bot still needs an electric input to function just like most other bots.
The bio bot needs to have a 3D printed scaffold.
The bio bot needs to feed.
The bio bot needs to respire (there is now an exception to this rule in animals).
Bio bot must itself be layered to do the desired/designed range of motions.
Even to produce a jellyfish like bio bot, heart and muscle cells are used to populate the extracellular matrix.
Mammal cells are used often as they are best characterized. The media is expensive.
They could be cultivated to produce humane meat.

This (bio bot) was done to show that it can be done. People publish on these curious fabrications to show they are not sitting on their hands in a university.
I spoke to an engineer over a concept of planetary proportions once. He said "just because it can be done doesn't mean society will waste its resources to do it." Bio bot is a multidisciplinary cumbersome toy (for now). If you can send it to the organism from which it was sourced, for delivery, even then you might be faced with problems. If someone you know plans to release it to the environment, I have a bridge to sell them.

Now if the thing was assembled from a clump of rotifer or other next to microscopic animal cells, I wouldn't know what to tell you. Those things are pond scum. They evolved to take on environmental beating.

Haley Sales

Mar 26, 2020, 2:59:45 AM3/26/20
to DIYbio
Genetically modified bacteria,
and yes Oncolytic viruses.
Xenobots

DNA storage may be relevant as well.
Cyborg organisms may be relevant as well.

Sorry if this is very cloudy. I'm trying to hone in on what disciplines are most likely to be able to work together. Of course, experts will be able to theorize what the possibilities are.

Haley Sales

Mar 26, 2020, 2:59:57 AM3/26/20
to DIYbio
This guy gets it.
I think I've heard about these types of bots from the youtube channel seeker. Xenobots

This is very good information. A lot of key points I'll keep an eye on.
    • cells used can be harvested and cultured on a more immunologically and pH, salt, CO2/O2-buffering cell and media independent environment
    • challenges associated with feed
    • challenges associated with waste
    • what goes into layering and scaffolding
    Yes. This is definitely multidisciplinary.
    I wonder what else is  practical to use in combination. Like using DNA to store data.
    Or some of the techniques used for cyborg beetles
    or simply genetically modifying bacteria to fill out scaffolding
    or Genetically modifying spiders or caterpillars to produce different kinds of substance (webs, silk).

    I don't exactly know how to classify what disciplines seem relevant. But the core of the manipulation is happening at the smallest biological scale (dna) & any other area of research should leverage that.

    Vanessa lorenzo toquero

    Mar 27, 2020, 5:48:16 AM3/27/20
    to DIYbio
    Thank Yuriy for this information and thank you Haley and all from bringing up the topic, which is core to my interest.

    I work on the media and speculative design context, specifically on the notion of hybrid media ecologies and the sign exchange between machine and biological entity for comunicating  / trigggering actions.

    Any readings you would recommend around this topic, or regarding biosemiotics / cyber(bio)semiotics)?

    Thank you very much in advance.

    Vanessa Lorenzo

    Haley Sales

    Mar 27, 2020, 7:11:30 AM3/27/20
    to DIYbio
    That's you on soundcloud? beautiful work

    Vanessa lorenzo toquero

    Mar 27, 2020, 7:55:46 AM3/27/20
    to DIYbio
    Thank you!

    boj Ko

    Jun 26, 2020, 3:26:31 AM6/26/20
    to diy...@googlegroups.com
    Hey )))  - You should also remember that different types of biomechanics in different groups of cellular interactions have different types of effective deployment models and the so-called enzyme-chemical survival strategies. And   if earlier it was believed that these were random sequences of actions that are associated with the internal geometry of the space where meals are taking place, today they are increasingly inclined to believe that this is not an accident, but a certain prescribed mechanism like that of ants society.

    Learn more at www.diybio.org
    To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/326455fe-814d-49ec-8946-c8b006d616e4%40googlegroups.com.