Low cost lab equipment (NB fridges/ice machines)

Thomas Meany

Aug 1, 2017, 12:03:10 PM8/1/17
to DIYbio
Hi All!

I just wanted to ask if anyone has advice on using domestic fridges in labs? I was advised to avoid defrost cycles (since the temperature can ramp up to a few degree below zero). Would there be any other advice? We are considering buying a separate fridge and freezer as an insurance policy in case on breaks. Otherwise has anyone used anything in the past or got advice on this?

I was also curious if anyone had any old equipment or advice on places that might have: thermocycler, tabletop centrifuge and shaking incubator? If anyone has an old bioreactor we are also interested in that as well!

We have just moved our labs (we make cell free extract if anyone is interested! cell-free.tech) and we have a great new location but... It is completely empty apart from a laminar flow hood. We have a limited budget for relocation and startup and are looking to save as much as we can by buying disused or minor repair equipment.

Any advice you might have would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Tom
t...@cell-free.tech

Hans Wilms

Aug 1, 2017, 12:10:17 PM8/1/17
to DIYbio
Hi Tom,
I live in Atlanta, and while the Biotech scene here isn't yet booming, through connections and luck I've managed to score a broken (now fixed) thermocycler, various reagents and materials from local labs that no longer needed that stuff. They were both industrial and academic labs.

I've also seen A LOT science equipment on http://www.go-dove.com/en/ and of course ebay. I've even fixed a broken microcentrifuge from Ebay. Good luck!

Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/b957023e-a37a-4f5c-87e5-2214f7d59617%40googlegroups.com.
Hans T. Wilms
PhD student, GSU
Charlie Benson Lab

Avery louie

Aug 1, 2017, 1:59:59 PM8/1/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hey Tom,

I have a couple of thermocyclers if you are interested.  Where are you located?

--A

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en

Learn more at www.diybio.org

Marc Juul

Aug 1, 2017, 2:04:38 PM8/1/17
to DIYbio
You can use a normal freezer with a defrost cycle if you don't have anything else, just stick your stuff in a styrofoam box with a nice big ice pack to stabilize the temperature :)

Thomas Meany

Aug 2, 2017, 3:01:00 AM8/2/17
to DIYbio
Hi Avery,

Im based in Cork Ireland, what about you are you in this hemisphere! It would be great to get a hold of some low cost thermocyclers. A lot of what we do involves just PCRing fragments and we actually express those directly.

Tom

Learn more at www.diybio.org

Thomas Meany

Aug 2, 2017, 3:01:11 AM8/2/17
to DIYbio
Awesome, thanks for the link I will check it out!

Avery louie

Aug 3, 2017, 12:54:53 AM8/3/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Ah- I'm based out of Boston.  Still happy to ship them to you if you pay for shipping, but it may not be economical for you, as they are quite heavy.

Learn more at www.diybio.org

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.