Hard-to-find paper request

Sebastian S Cocioba

Jul 26, 2015, 2:17:09 AM7/26/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,
I've been hunting for Jacques Monod's PhD thesis paper from 1942 titled "Researches sur la croissance des cultures bacteriennes". As you may have guessed its in French and I can't read French but will look for friends who speak the language and trade translation time for a pint or two. So far all my leads found catalog numbers to libraries where the physical print is stored. Luckily there is a copy in off-site storage at the New York Public Library and I'll go there and scan it myself if worst comes to worst. Will upload the paper to the list and host it somewhere for all to enjoy.

I've been conducting some experiments involving diauxic shifts or "diauxie" for you Frenchies on the list and this is considered by many to be THE seminal paper regarding the phenomenon. All I am really after is the media he used in his sorbitol curves. I know the most prominent diauxic shift is seen on sorbitol with a few others of which lactose is THE classic example but the base media in which all this magic happened is no where to be found. I know its not M9 (also made by him) because this paper precedes M9 minimal media by a decade and change (Pardee, Jacob, Monod 1959). The reference list from his thesis would be just as interesting as well. Any help would be much appreciated. Its going toward an upcoming publication we are submitting to PLoS this fall. Thanks!

Sebastian S. Cocioba
CEO & Founder
New York Botanics, LLC

Cory Tobin

Jul 26, 2015, 4:28:59 AM7/26/15
to diybio
So you're just looking for the growth media recipe for the bacteria
used in this figure?
http://i.imgur.com/wqQdNXG.png
(this is a figure from his thesis that was republished a few years
later in Annual Reviews in English)

A library down the street from my house has Monod's thesis. If you
just need the recipe, I could pop over there this week and try to find
it. I'm not fluent in French but I know enough to search for his media
recipe.

-cory

Sebastian S Cocioba

Jul 26, 2015, 5:49:08 AM7/26/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
That would be fantastic! Yes I just need the media that gave the most distinct two step growth curve and more importantly the underlying synthetic media he refers to. Most likely some salts based recipe with ammonium as the main nitrogen source. Some phosphorus (mono and dibasic), sulfur, magnesium, etc. Thanks again!

Sebastian S. Cocioba
CEO & Founder
New York Botanics, LLC

> --
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
> Learn more at www.diybio.org
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/CAC46Jsv2Fi_76e_d7hH%3DpdBf5aYEm5jpFa-NU2DgECDNLsGruA%40mail.gmail.com.

Cathal (Phone)

Jul 26, 2015, 6:15:11 AM7/26/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com, Sebastian S Cocioba
I wonder if the strains he used would affect the reproducibility of the research? 1942 is a very long time ago, lab strains have literally evolved since then.. even the same "strain" by ID couldn't be guaranteed! :)

Are you aiming to reproduce the result completely? That'd be really cool.. research necromancy, giving a new insight into old results!

John Griessen

Jul 26, 2015, 11:18:38 AM7/26/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On 07/26/2015 04:48 AM, Sebastian S Cocioba wrote:
> Most likely some salts based recipe with ammonium as the main nitrogen source.

Hmmm.... That company with the dirt bacterial sprays must be expert on just that.
They develop ammonia oxidizing bacteria strains plus ?more? ?b. subtilis? recipes.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-22/cosmetics-startup-aobiome-sells-bacteria-for-healthier-skin

The founder started from a notice of how horses roll in dirt then researched
many many papers, (including yours), then began building and testing.
maybe he'd help -- you're not competing with his market...

Sebastian S Cocioba

Jul 26, 2015, 3:54:49 PM7/26/15
to Cathal (Phone), diy...@googlegroups.com
Cathal,
One of the first steps of our publication is to vet the device and what other experiment would be more fitting than the one that started it all! Going to replicate it verbatim and see if our device holds true to the published intervals...maybe even some new surprises.

John,
The nitrogen bacteria lead sounds interesting though for our research focus it may be too nitrogen specific of a media. Worth a shot nonetheless. Thanks for the lead!

Ill make sure to send a copy of the paper we're working on to the list once its done.

Sebastian S. Cocioba
CEO & Founder
New York Botanics, LLC

Sebastian S Cocioba

Jul 28, 2015, 2:33:58 PM7/28/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I tried getting it electronically sent and apparently the 50 page upper limit they allow is suddenly too large for fair use copy. Its sitting at the NYPL for me. Going Thursday to copy the mysterious tome.

Sebastian S. Cocioba
CEO & Founder
New York Botanics, LLC

> --
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
> Learn more at www.diybio.org
> --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/55B4FA46.8000406%40industromatic.com.
image1.PNG

Sebastian S Cocioba

Jul 28, 2015, 2:59:29 PM7/28/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
It would be such a convenience. Especially since said book is not being sold anywhere in any form an no one is making money off of it. Oh well, I guess Ill just have to read the book, write down the recipe, and move on with life.

Sebastian S. Cocioba
CEO & Founder
New York Botanics, LLC