Need some help with my experiments.

Mad Scientist 72

Oct 9, 2018, 9:32:48 PM10/9/18
to DIYbio
     Hello everybody,

  I am an amateur scientist currently doing experiments in the field of prebiotic chemistry.  I do these experiments at home, which I then publish on YouTube.  I have a problem that I need help with.  Although I am able to research which experiments have been done in the field of prebiotic chemistry, and, for the most part, I am able to replicate them, I have a problem with analyzing the results of my experiments.  Some experiments which have been done by researchers yield products in millimolar amounts.  I am restricted right now to doing experiments which I can only test using reagents, or I do have a UV/VIS spectrophotometer.  But that simply won't cut it if you have products which are produced in minute quantities.  I was wondering if there are labs which would allow me to send samples so that I can have the analysis done by HPLC, gas chromatography, etc., since I don't have this type of equipment at my disposal.  Thanks very much for your help.

                                                                                                                                               J.G.

Seth Donnelley

Oct 10, 2018, 5:38:14 PM10/10/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com
You might want to try the labs at the Misher College of Arts and Sciences at the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia. I don't know where you are located in the world, but they say you can use the equipment for $50 an hour. It might be possible to ship samples if you are further away than the value of your time and travel expenses would compensate for.

Good luck,
Seth

Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/06e552e2-1ce8-487c-b264-a37896723a88%40googlegroups.com.

Skyler Gordon

Oct 11, 2018, 1:01:30 PM10/11/18
to DIYbio
I would consider using a tandem Mass Spectrometer (MS/MS) if you are looking for products that are found only in extremely small quantities. This is more than likely something that you can have a third party perform, since the machines are often expensive.

-SG

Dakota Hamill

Oct 12, 2018, 5:42:48 AM10/12/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Learn to do thin layer chromatography (TLC).  It is old-school and bad-ass.  Very sensitive, very cheap (compared to an LCMS) and is a basic skill set to put in your "tool kit" as a bench scientist.  mM amounts of compounds would be picked up no problem.  If you can get a stock solution of whatever you're testing for then you have a way to track that compound from your fermentations by the Rf value.

TLC saved my ass many times when other, more expensive machines, failed.  You can expand what you can "see" on plates by developing them with different stains as well.

Tom Knight

Oct 12, 2018, 9:52:42 AM10/12/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com, Tom Knight
Dakota,

We’re having a seminar and party Thursday Oct. 25, and I wanted to personally invite you. The seminar is day-long at the Hynnes Convention Center, co-located with the IGEM competition Giant Jamboree, bringing 3000 worldwide undergraduate competitors to Boston with their synthetic biology projects.

That evening we are also hosting a party celebrating the opening of our newest biological foundry in South Boston.

Please see the enclosed invitation. I know you’re super busy, but I think you might enjoy this.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ginkgo-ferment-annual-meeting-bioworks4-opening-party-registration-48823710031

Best, tk

Please join me in Boston on October 25th for Ginkgo Ferment, Ginkgo Bioworks's inaugural annual meeting.

We'll have a great lineup of speakers, highlighting exponential improvement in organism engineering tools, the role of biosecurity in national defense, new applications for synbio, and even the chance to smell a flower that's been extinct for over 100 years!

You’ll hear from

-      Tara O'Toole (Senior Fellow & Executive VP, In-Q-Tel; former Undersecretary of the Science & Technology Directorate of the Department of Homeland Security)
-      Andy Weber (Senior Fellow, Harvard Kennedy School Belfer Center; Assistant Secretary of Defense for Nuclear, Chemical & Biological Defense Programs)
-      Christian Henry (Director, Pacific Biosciences; former Chief Commercial Officer, Illumina)
-      Michael Egholm (Chief Technology Officer, Danaher Life Sciences)
-      Emily Leproust (Co-founder & CEO, Twist Bioscience)
-      Drew Endy (Silas H. Palmer Faculty Fellow, Stanford University)
-      Mike Gorenstein (CEO, Cronos Group)
… to name a few! You’ll also have the opportunity to visit the iGEM (International Genetically Engineered Machine) Competition happening at the same time. Picture: 3,000+ students fired up about the GMOs they’ve built over the summer!

In the evening, we’re having a party! Join us in celebrating the opening of our new foundry Bioworks4 at Ginkgo’s HQ in the Boston Seaport. Tours, libations, dinosaurs, and more!

Seth Donnelley

Oct 14, 2018, 8:06:03 PM10/14/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Can I come to this too? It sounds really cool!
Seth D.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Yoshi Goto

Oct 16, 2018, 6:44:03 AM10/16/18
to DIYbio
I'm also interested.... Is the 4PM tour open to anyone interested? Is it age-limited as well?