Kickstarter Campaign for Polyfuge: A DIY Open-Source Microcentrifuge for Everyone

Jason Wu

Aug 2, 2017, 7:28:11 PM8/2/17
to DIYbio
Hey everyone,

I've recently started a Kickstarter campaign for an affordable DIY microcentrifuge kit called Polyfuge. Polyfuge is a fully Arduino-based microcentrifuge that holds up to eight 1.5 mL eppendorf tubes, and can be assembled with M3 nuts and bolts alone. We see this centrifuge being very fit for classrooms and casual DIYbio enthusiasts (like most of you here) since it combines engineering in the assembly aspect with biotechnology in the application aspect. Please consider backing our campaign, as we only need $1,442 to get running and distribute Polyfuge everywhere! Thank you for your time!

Abizar Lakdawalla

Aug 2, 2017, 10:11:24 PM8/2/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Looks interesting. what is the top speed with fully loaded tubes?

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/3614d2cd-93ad-4370-8c89-17ae6d0b2281%40googlegroups.com.

Jason Wu

Aug 2, 2017, 11:28:57 PM8/2/17
to DIYbio
We are using a 2300 kv motor at 12V and have been able to hit up to 13,000 rpm with all eight 1.5 mL tubes loaded! If we are fully funded however, we plan on running more tests with stronger but cost-efficient motors to see if we can achieve higher speeds.

Learn more at www.diybio.org

Jason Wu

Aug 3, 2017, 12:15:05 PM8/3/17
to DIYbio
We are already 78% funded within the first 3 days of launch! If you are interested in DIY Biotechnology or affordable STEM experimentation please consider making a pledge to our Kickstarter campaign.

Here are some extra details I did not mention in my original post. In terms of where the money will be used, a lot of our funding will go towards manufacturing simple circuit boards in order to make assembly easier for the general public. A lot of high school iGEM and BioBuilder teams out there would benefit from having a no-solder assembly experience, as it would simplify the building process immensely.

We are also highly considering including a PCR tube strip rotor that can be easily mounted for convenience. Our current prototype already supports interchangeable rotors, so we would like to make use of this feature through including extra rotors (please feel free to give us suggestions on what rotor-types we should consider adding to the Polyfuge package). In the event that we do include different rotors, it will NOT alter the current price of $96.

Nathan McCorkle

Aug 3, 2017, 12:25:22 PM8/3/17
to diybio
Have you stress-tested your enclosure? I don't want to imagine a class
of enthusiastic elementary school children being horrified after a few
of them get microfuge tubes lodged in their eyes.
Will you similarly test each enclosure? Do you also calibrate the
rotors for balance? Do you have this part of Quality Control and
Quality Assurance built-in to your business plan?

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Jason Wu <jason....@gmail.com> wrote:
> "DIYbio" group.
> email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/3614d2cd-93ad-4370-8c89-17ae6d0b2281%40googlegroups.com.

-Nathan

Marc Juul

Aug 3, 2017, 5:51:48 PM8/3/17
to DIYbio
Can you provide a link to the open source hardware and software?

Learn more at www.diybio.org

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Dennis Oleksyuk

Learn more at www.diybio.org