Relocation

j...@donoghues.net

Aug 5, 2017, 10:49:07 PM8/5/17
to DIYbio
What would a town have to give (in regards to policy) to get do it yourself biologists to move there?

Patrik D'haeseleer

Aug 6, 2017, 2:39:05 AM8/6/17
to DIYbio
There's not much in terms of *policy* that a town can offer, really. But use of an abandoned building for free rent would be awesome. Maybe some help with zoning if necessary.

Getting a critical mass of DIYbiologists to relocate somewhere would be a whole different issue, of course...

John Griessen

Aug 7, 2017, 1:18:29 PM8/7/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On 08/06/2017 01:39 AM, Patrik D'haeseleer wrote:
> There's not much in terms of *policy* that a town can offer, really.
+1

A town can offer residents already doing bio, but that's not policy -- tech flourishing happens in little understood ways,
usually by a company locating there and hiring many people, and then 30 years going by.
A town can offer free dirt to operate on, but that's not exactly policy, close though.
A town can offer regulatory help, but state overrules town and that might not work out...

j...@donoghues.net

Aug 14, 2017, 3:27:01 PM8/14/17
to DIYbio
Thank you for the ideas! Keep your eyes on Santa Fe, NM (future biopunk capital of the USA!).

Patrik D'haeseleer

Aug 15, 2017, 6:08:06 PM8/15/17
to DIYbio
Cool - are you the one moving to Santa Fe? Or involved in town govt hoping to get DIY biologists to move there?

The main factor for success of a community lab is probably having a large enough biotech ecosystem in the area. In a location that does not have a ton of universities and biotech companies in the immediate vicinity, you may need to work harder to cultivate connections like that. I would recommend reaching out to NMBio, Santa Institute, SF Business Incubator's BioScience Lab, and other like minded networks.

Maria Chavez

Aug 15, 2017, 6:51:26 PM8/15/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com
As a former resident of Santa Fe (grew up there, went to UNM, still
ahve family there I visit), I look forward to checking it out! I'd
also say that talking to the local Santa Fe Makerspace would be good
to add on to what Patrik has already mentioned. Also reaching out to
the local schools etc.
> "DIYbio" group.
> email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/90e1ec5a-37ec-47af-a394-c07a400ece07%40googlegroups.com.

Abizar Lakdawalla

Aug 15, 2017, 10:13:45 PM8/15/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Los Alamos labs are there, correct?

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en

Learn more at www.diybio.org

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Maria Chavez

Aug 15, 2017, 10:26:49 PM8/15/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Santa Fe is between Los Alamos and the labs there (about 40 miles away
up north) and Albuqueure which has Sandia labs (about an hour away
south).
>> > at
>> > https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
>> > Learn more at www.diybio.org
>> > ---
>> > Groups
>> > "DIYbio" group.
>> > an
>> > email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com.
>> > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
>> >
>> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/90e1ec5a-37ec-47af-a394-c07a400ece07%40googlegroups.com.

>> --
>> "DIYbio" group.
>> email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com.
>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/CAFH49wZ9DN_LcBMhL0F4K8VppYA%2Ba5Qje0mTK2NevvDB7XGL2w%40mail.gmail.com.

> "DIYbio" group.
> email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/CAND8PcOgRxA8dL7y38xcyaKn2dWgOpUBPwX8V9QZJKKj7HLCww%40mail.gmail.com.

Patrik D'haeseleer

Aug 16, 2017, 2:13:03 AM8/16/17
to DIYbio
Yeah, unfortunately, LANL, UNM and Sandia are all just a little farther away from Santa Fe than would be convenient for a biohackerspace. You might get a few folks willing to drive 1.5-2hr back and forth on a regular basis, but the general rule of thumb is that people want to be within half an hour of their local hackerspace.

I did my PhD in CS at UNM in Albuquerque 1994-2000, and visited the Santa Fe Institute on a regular basis. Fascinating place!

Patrik

Patrik D'haeseleer

Aug 16, 2017, 2:21:37 AM8/16/17
to DIYbio
Don't forget with the local schools and colleges as well - lots of folks there that may be interested in having a community lab!

St. John's College, for example is an outstanding Liberal Arts college, with a strong focus on laboratory science.

Patrik

Ryan Vitug-Gavieres

Aug 16, 2017, 11:11:12 PM8/16/17
to DIYbio

On Saturday, August 5, 2017 at 7:49:07 PM UTC-7, j...@donoghues.net wrote:
What would a town have to give (in regards to policy) to get do it yourself biologists to move there?

How About the Solano, Yolo, Sacramento Areas of California three of the colleges in the Area produce education programs for Biohackers and DIY Biology people like Solano Coummunity Colleges Biotech Program in Fairfield, CA, UC Davis and Sacramento State University these colleges produce graduates in these Fields. Plus some of the backup facilities are located in the Vacaville and Davis Areas.

Some Clusters are there according to the articles.

  1. Monsanto Co., Vegetable Seeds Division, Woodland, 250
  2. Idexx Laboratories Inc., West Sacramento, 184
  3. The Jackson Laboratory —West, Sacramento, 136
  4. Novozymes Inc., Davis, 110
  5. Marrone Bio Innovations Inc., Davis, 85

The Sacramento Region is home to a fast-growing biotechnology and life sciences community, with the world’s largest cluster of companies in these industry sectors headquartered in the adjacent San Francisco Bay Area. Many consider the San Francisco Bay Area to be the birthplace of biotechnology and it is currently home to several hundred biotechnology and life sciences companies.

The Sacramento Region’s biotechnology and life sciences industries are growing rapidly with more than 100 biotechnology and medical device companies and 141,405 life sciences employees.

With an abundant and highly qualified workforce from world-class institutions and collaborative efforts that will finance and develop new biomedical facilities, the Sacramento Region offers the greatest and most flexible opportunities for further expansion of the industry. Companies such as Bayer CropScience and Novozymes Biotech, Inc. in Davis; Volcano Therapeutics and Thermogenisis Corp. in Rancho Cordova; and Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics in West Sacramento are representative of the region’s biotechnology sector.

UC Davis

As one of the world’s premier life science research universities, UC Davis performs fundamental research in fields ranging from genetics and biology to agricultural and environmental sciences, and from food and nutrition to veterinary and human health. It is the educational core of the region’s life sciences sector and has connections with area biotechnology companies. The university increasingly acts as a magnet for life sciences firms looking for the unique combination of proximity to all of Northern California’s research institutions plus reasonable business costs and a high quality of life. This is a trend that will likely continue and increase in the near future as pharmaceutical and medical device companies turn ideas into products.

The UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center has earned the prestigious “comprehensive” designation from the National Cancer Institute, making it the only cancer center in Sacramento and all of inland Northern California to have earned the designation. “Comprehensive” designation is the world’s most prestigious honor in oncology, reserved for less than 1 percent of cancer centers nationwide. National Cancer Institute-designated cancer centers are recognized by the federal government for their scientific excellence, and are considered major sources for discovery and development of more effective approaches to prevention, diagnosis, and treatment.

UC Davis also hosts the Center for Biophotonics Science and Technology, funded by a grant from the National Science Foundation to UC Davis, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, and other partners. Biophotonics is the science of using light to understand the inner workings of cells and tissues in living organisms, and the center collaborates with private and public research institutions on applications ranging from health care to biodefense.

The biotechnology industry’s combination of science and technology holds great potential for future growth and discovery. This pioneering industry has broad social and economic reach as a birthplace for products that will improve human health, meet energy and environmental needs, assist in national defense, and spur new innovation. The industry encompasses a wide range of firms, including many involved in research and development or manufacturing for pharmaceuticals and medical devices.

UC Davis and UC Davis Health System Highlights

  • One of the world’s premier life sciences research institutions with biotechnology, medical, veterinary, and agricultural programs.
  • Centers of Excellence that encourage collaborative public/private research and ties with private industry.
  • UC Davis is among the top in the nation in graduate and undergraduate education in the biological sciences. Year after year, UC Davis is one of the top five in numbers of doctoral and bachelor degrees conferred in the biological sciences.
  • On the leading edge of new treatments and disease research at the nationally renowned center for the study of autism, the UC Davis MIND Institute, and the UC Davis Institute for Regenerative Cures.
  • UC Davis ranks 14th in research funding among U.S. ranked public universities and 22nd for public and private universities, according to the National Science Foundation. The university received more than $750 million in research funding in 2011-2012, and ranked fifth in the nation in the most recent NSF survey of non-federal research and development spending (2009).
  • UC Davis is a leader in regenerative medicine, with one of the most advanced Good Manufacturing Practice Laboratories in the nation. The lab is used by UC Davis and other major research institutions in California to process cellular and gene therapies for clinical trials.
  • As one of the country’s first Clinical and Translational Science Centers, UC Davis is a model for team science, bringing together multiple disciplines to address the most challenging health issues.
  • Ranked among the top medical schools in the nation for research, primary care and rural medicine specialty programs, and among top hospitals for cancer care according to U.S. News & World Report’s Best Graduate Schools in America and Best Hospitals lists.
  • Inland California’s only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center.
  • UC Davis Health System is a leader in defining innovative uses of technology to transform health and health care. UC Davis provides expertise in more than two dozen clinical specialties using telehealth technology to reach patients and health-care providers throughout the state. The health system appeared on U.S. News & World Report’s list of the nation’s Most Connected Hospitals for adopting information technology to enhance patient safety and quality of care, and was one of only 11 institutions in California designated “Most Wired” by Hospitals & Health Networks magazine. UC Davis Medical Center has reached the top 2 percent of hospitals nationwide in terms of electronic medical records use with a Stage 7 award from the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society.
  • Home to the California National Primate Research Center, the only one of its kind in the UC system and one of only eight such centers in the nation.

UC Davis Health System

The UC Davis Health System is one of five health systems within the University of California. It is an integrated, academic health system consisting of the UC Davis School of Medicine, the Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing, the 619-bed acute care hospital and clinical services of UC Davis Medical Center, and the 1,000-member physician group known as UC Davis Medical Group. The health system also includes the National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center, a comprehensive children’s hospital, a Level I trauma center, and other centers of excellence. The UC Davis School of Medicine received $194 million in external research funding in fiscal year 2011-2012. The school ranks 37th in National Institutes of Health research funding, and is ranked by U.S. News & World Report among the nation’s top 50 medical schools for both primary care and research. The Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing welcomed its first doctoral and master’s degree students in fall 2010 and celebrated the graduation of its inaugural class in 2012.

The UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine, the only public veterinary school in the state, was named the #1 veterinary school in the world. The university’s library contains more than 3.9 million volumes and is ranked among the top research libraries in North America. California Institute for Regenerative Medicine (CIRM) The UC Davis Institute for Regenerative Cures, which opened in 2010, is one of 12 “CIRM Institutes” conducting research in all three of the specialized research categories of basic and discovery stem cell research— preclinical (translational) research, preclinical development, and clinical research.

California State University, Sacramento

Sacramento State’s College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics offers both undergraduate and graduate degree programs and is a leader in California for the training of clinical lab technicians and scientists. At the undergraduate level, students are able to earn a Bachelor of Arts degree, a Bachelor of Science degree, or a minor in Biological Sciences. The curriculum in Clinical Laboratory Sciences meets the undergraduate coursework requirements of the State of California for eligibility to take a Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) licensure examination. Eligibility to take a licensure examination also requires a one year CLS internship training program at a state-approved clinical laboratory, of which the Sacramento Region has several. In addition, the University has recently unveiled its cutting-edge molecular biology lab known as CIMERA (Center for Interdisciplinary Molecular Biology Education, Research and Advancement). The Center was created to play a lead role in both research and education in the burgeoning fields of Cell and Molecular Biology and Biochemistry. It provides a geographic and intellectual center for interdisciplinary basic and applied research, for the training of undergraduate and graduate students, and for community-based educational programs.

Michael Hogan

Aug 22, 2017, 11:22:46 AM8/22/17
to DIYbio
And Genentech, Vacaville is not so far away either .. Hmm, Sacramento might be a potential hot-spot!