Know a good research reading URL list for covid-19 disinfectant recipes and processes?

John Griessen

Mar 23, 2020, 3:08:41 PM3/23/20
to DIYbio
For instance:

1. Mild heating to sterilize nuts, grains from bulk bins.
2. Bleach water and soap recipe for soaking vegetables from the store before using.
3. UV LED exposure levels and times that kill covid-19
4. Would a recipe of IPA 91% + green tea to yield 70% IPA be effective on hard surfaces and hands?

Bryan Jones

Mar 23, 2020, 5:29:34 PM3/23/20
to DIYbio
I don't think anyone has compiled such a list yet. But here are a few articles that are related:
SARS CoV2 (the COVID-19 virus) survival on various surfaces:

SARS CoV (the closely related original SARS virus from 2002) susceptibility to UV and heat (it's a good guess that this virus will be similar):

Learn more at www.diybio.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/ec3136c5-159c-5b5b-5ec0-38acfb72f4cb%40industromatic.com.

Simon Quellen Field

Mar 23, 2020, 9:23:57 PM3/23/20
to diybio
One of the best killers of coronaviruses is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate.
After the trials in Antarctica of stopping colds using tissues soaked in it, we have been soaking handkerchiefs in 50/50 Dawn and water and throwing them in the dryer.
Keep one in your pocket for when you feel the urge to touch your face.
Rub your hands on it every once in a while.

Not as good as a thorough 20 second scrub with Dawn, but more convenient when you're out and about.

-----
Get a free science project every week! "http://scitoys.com/newsletter.html"

Sean Rowshandel

Mar 23, 2020, 10:12:14 PM3/23/20
to diy...@googlegroups.com
The higher the concentration of alcohol above 60%, the more it causes the proteins to form a crust that seals the pathogen off from being exposed to the alcohol at all. At least for bacteria, that's what they say. Viral capsids are smaller in diameter and thus more easily crust up according to .. surface area geometry but I only know about bacteria for sure, viruses I haven't looked up.

Sean Rowshandel

Mar 24, 2020, 3:59:08 AM3/24/20
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Sodium lauroyl sarcosinate as well. I think they may have used it in the lab to stop replication before it was used in toothpastes and other hygiene and cleaning products