Southwestern PA

Jo Donoghue

Dec 8, 2016, 9:00:36 AM12/8/16
to DIYbio
Anyone around Pittsburgh or south of Pittsburgh want to start a group? I really enjoy bio but am looking for a group to assist me.

Josh Melnick

Dec 13, 2016, 9:56:58 PM12/13/16
to DIYbio
Try to build one at Pittsburgh

Sean Donahue

Dec 20, 2016, 3:26:41 PM12/20/16
to DIYbio
I might be interested.  What specifically did you have in mind?  I live a little south of Pittsburgh.  I have some gear, and some friends who might be interested as well.

Jo Donoghue

Jan 26, 2017, 10:11:03 PM1/26/17
to DIYbio
I am into genomics and want to dabble in plant genomics. I live near Uniontown, but I am willing to travel if you have a date and time in mind. Also do you have any thoughts on projects?

Sean Donahue

Mar 7, 2017, 10:21:46 AM3/7/17
to DIYbio
Genomics is a little bit outside of my wheelhouse.  I've worked mostly with molecular biology (PCR, electrophoresis, etc.) and microbiology.  A couple months ago I tried the ODIN's CRISPR kit.  My next intended project was Glowing Plant, engineering a bioluminescent houseplant with agrobacterium tumefacens.  I ordered the supplies, but there was permits and paperwork involved, which isn't really my strong suit.  I'm also working on building various equipment, a la Joshua Pearce's Open Source Lab.  I'd be open to other ideas, though.

Jo Donoghue

Mar 7, 2017, 7:16:59 PM3/7/17
to DIYbio
Cool sounds like fun how can I help you? Let's work with your ideas and go from there.

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Mar 11, 2017, 11:38:41 AM3/11/17
to DIYbio
There are people who have successfully built gene guns for a few dozens of bucks. Avoids agrobacterium regulation

Sean Donahue

Mar 23, 2017, 3:34:54 PM3/23/17
to DIYbio
My apologies for the lack of a timely response.  I've had my hands full lately, but I should have more free time in the near future for side projects.  If there's a way to avoid the agrobacterium related red tape, I'm open to it.  I'd looked into a DIY gene gun several months ago, but hadn't found much.  Perhaps I'll look again.

Jason Bobe

Mar 23, 2017, 3:38:52 PM3/23/17
to diybio
On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 3:34 PM, Sean Donahue <sean.don...@gmail.com> wrote:
My apologies for the lack of a timely response.

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Mar 23, 2017, 6:45:57 PM3/23/17
to DIYbio