Spider Beer Overview: Making Yeast Produce Black Widow Silk

Cabalen sciences

Oct 11, 2018, 7:32:13 PM10/11/18
to DIYbio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx8TcGrCOSI

The Thought Emporium just made a video on how to make silk from Yeast.

Daniel C.

Oct 12, 2018, 10:05:24 AM10/12/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I'd heard there was a mechanical component for getting spider silk to form correctly, so just having the proteins in solution wasn't enough.  Is that wrong?

-Dan

Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/a457b182-12b4-4173-ae0a-29862b8ed454%40googlegroups.com.

Nathan McCorkle

Oct 12, 2018, 12:49:40 PM10/12/18
to diybio

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018, 7:05 AM Daniel C. <dcroo...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd heard there was a mechanical component for getting spider silk to form correctly, so just having the proteins in solution wasn't enough.  Is that wrong?

-Dan

Yeah, you need a spinner, and I think the supply to the spinner requires different properties than simple cell lysate/exudate (I'm guessing that has to do with purity and concentration).

Daniel C.

Oct 12, 2018, 5:48:00 PM10/12/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 12:49 PM Nathan McCorkle <nmz...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yeah, you need a spinner, and I think the supply to the spinner requires different properties than simple cell lysate/exudate (I'm guessing that has to do with purity and concentration).

So is this guy on a fool's errand?  Even if he can make yeast that makes the protein, he won't have actual strands of silk?  Or is there a way to extrude it without growing a full spider?

-Dan

Cathal Garvey

Oct 12, 2018, 6:23:52 PM10/12/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Per the success of the "spider-goat" project, you can extrude spider silk from concentrated solution. IIRC, the quality of the resulting silk is far lower than that produced by spinnerets. Last time I looked the best and most practical route was engineered silkworms.

djwr...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2018, 7:41:45 AM10/13/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Daniel C.

Oct 17, 2018, 1:36:19 PM10/17/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 7:41 AM <djwr...@gmail.com> wrote:

That's pretty cool!  It looks like they're still in development though, since they don't offer any actual products for sale.  Hopefully we won't have to wait too long.

-Dan