Glowing Freshwater Algae?

Cory J. Geesaman

Nov 28, 2022, 1:27:53 AM11/28/22
to DIYbio
Any ideas on how to go about splicing together glowing freshwater algae (preferably without all the toxic side-effects of naturally-biolumenescent-algae?)

Dan Kolis

Dec 13, 2022, 10:56:37 AM12/13/22
to DIYbio
Disappointing you have had no support on ths. I watched that over time with some dismay.

I think though, you need much more specific info then the question you asked, too generalized. Certainly there is more to the potential work then simply if it radiates.

How to make, what you want to make is perhaps a more answerable question !

DNA is pretty generalised the last time I checked.... However every aspect of utilising it by direct human intent, --is racked with details.  Fortunately, the particular humans who know about it, like details.

Regards,
Daniel B. Kolis

my ref: nafl, 13 Dec 2022, pp, CoryG

Timothy Fallon

Dec 14, 2022, 9:01:49 AM12/14/22
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Folks, what’s the worry about toxicity? Pyrocystis bioluminescent dinoflagellates that are widely available to hobbyists, and aren’t toxic.

If you’re trying to make freshwater algae, i.e. Chlamydomonas, that glow continuously the fungal luminescence system might be your best bet.

All the best,
-Tim

Learn more at www.diybio.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/feb94cf9-35e0-4d4e-953a-5580599261f8n%40googlegroups.com.

Dan Kolis

Dec 14, 2022, 12:01:45 PM12/14/22
to DIYbio

I'm interested in the technology ( of course ), for example, the general bioBricks notion is not successful enough to pursue with much intensity. that is, the question of integrating a Gene in anything has a lot of loose ends that are interesting.

Answers to how to do it, have better and worse answers regarding outcomes !

But a minor interest is barriers to doing such things outside of a full blown wet-lab. Folklore and reality ... differ. So the urge, per se matters a little. Personally, I never understood the concept of a 'hobby'; ever. Yet this urge does apparently exist... It seems biotech is in a near grey zone of intentional extinction. So "I cant do it because Im not allowed to buy XXX" interest me too.

Whats the point ( for 'reference only' ) to make glowing algae ? Do you mean in the visible spectra, specifically ? Is this like using Luciferene for a specific purpose ?

etc.

big Etc .. in this response here.

Regs
Daniel B. Kolis

Paige Whitehead

Feb 19, 2023, 11:33:52 AM2/19/23
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Second what Tim said! Also more ideas on what it would be engineered to do, or what problem needs solving helps a lot.

I work on developing bioluminescent enzymes, but altering living bioluminescence to change and potentially improve the longevity of the reaction is quite different. As far as I know, this is being explored by the European startup glowee. There are also various igem projects, most recently life bulb, which have continued to explore the fundamentals of engineering living bioluminescence systems. And light bio is working on living plant bioluminescence.

Always happy to connect with fellow bioluminescence enthusiasts!!

Learn more at www.diybio.org
Paige Whitehead
CEO & Founder
Nyoka Design Labs

I acknowledge with respect the Lekwungen People on whose traditional territory I live and work, and the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ peoples whose historical relationships with the land continue to this day.

Andreas "Mega" Stuermer

Mar 22, 2023, 4:21:26 PM3/22/23
to DIYbio
I once tried adapting the glowing algae to freshwater, but I think I was too fast and everything exploded.  But if you keep decreasing salt concnetration over several weeks, maybe they adapt. Evolutionary pressure?

Dan Kolis

Mar 22, 2023, 9:10:43 PM3/22/23
to DIYbio
Talk about an expectation gap, wow. News says: "Scientists make glow in the dark frogs". The reality you suggest is Luciferenes are messy enough to require a startup company to improve to do routine things ? To make usable for a fairly routine process ?

"Not so simple" is one thing. Doesn't work pretty much, is another...

Regards,
Daniel B. Kolis