embed colloid in temperature controlled system --> release phage into human gut (adds heat and pH); releases gene therapy.

Aaron Berger

Jul 3, 2023, 3:09:53 PM7/3/23
to DIYbio
Hello.
I am pondering a novel mechanism for drug delivery involving phage therapy embedded in a cooled colloid (like an iced latte) that would "activate" upon entering the stomach and lower digestive tract.
I believe that an "over-the-counter" drug of this sort would create a climate of healing in post-covid society. (Looking at American markets for now). It is obvious there are a lot of gaps to fill in here, but pursuing this climate is the goal. I wonder if this gene therapy in a cup of coffee is viable, based on anyone's first impressions or if I have to go back to the white board.

All the best,

Aaron

Dan Kolis

Jul 8, 2023, 10:54:15 AM7/8/23
to DIYbio

Hmmm, well that esophagus, stomach stuffola ; ( AKA alimentary canal ) , does a lot of stuff, there's some acid in there, lots of enzymes .. it goes in both directions if things go badly...

BUT ! I think it also normalises temperature, in like tens of seconds after a 'trip south' gulp.

A "lots of gaps', yes including thermodynamics.

A tough project: "To swallow"; yet GOOD LUCK and don't drink too much N2 !

Regs,
Dan

Aaron Berger

Jul 17, 2023, 1:46:14 PM7/17/23
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan, thank you for the response.

Since I posted about colloids I have been driving down on something I am more comfortable with, namely engineered gram + bacterial circuits to express the antibodies. If I picked the right species in terms of cell envelope properties, this might engender a "time release" which would allow the engineered bacteria to escape the infernal alimentary canal and enter the bloodstream, at which point they might release the antibodies and establish a titer.

(As you can see I am jumping over hoops to avoid injection, and that is the point - I am trying to provide an alternative medical experience for those who are worried about conspiracies or antivaxx or whatever.) There are some oral vaccine projects in play e.g. for polio and even some in development for covid, but then these are pharmaceutical interventions and at the end of the day I am trying to promote a medical atmosphere that has very little to do with medicine in its trappings (antiviral coffee) but still produces an ameliorative health outcome.

All the best,

Aaron

Learn more at www.diybio.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/e3fc5be7-e810-4cf7-ba4c-152c4f71aacan%40googlegroups.com.

Marko Komlosh

Jul 17, 2023, 1:46:24 PM7/17/23
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Dear Aaron and Dan,

I agree with Dan that in our gut are a lot of different acids and enzymes. Also, phages naturally penetrate tissue barriers and some studies stated that phages find their way into the brain.
https://bioengineeringcommunity.nature.com/posts/54086-drug-delivery-to-the-brain-self-assembled-phage-mimetic-for-rapid-targeting-of-the-brain

I would think again if you need any colloids, and what if someone doesn't drink coffee?

Sincerely,
Marko Komlosh

Dan Kolis

Jul 17, 2023, 7:14:02 PM7/17/23
to DIYbio

The little blob of chilled fat Moderna and BX-some_germans-For-Pzizer made for Sars-2 is instructive.

First does: always works no too many side effects

Second a little less good all around

Fifth dose; Don't ask ! Marketing has this COVERED big boy ?

Mother nature has a deep, deep bag of tricks to counter your tricks. And she is ok will sort of mini flops on the first blush, but try it over and over and she reaches deeper.

Of course, lots of Rx is effective with this problem, anyway. But really most badness to be controlled needs multi passes really..

Not a reason to not try. You need just incredible modelling. There is no way t approach your goals with trial and error as a first cannon.

That's what I think. So many doomer project like this ! "Fix Sickle cell with Fetal cells, HA. How much: "fake it 'till you make it" can the universe absorb ?

Fix M.D. ? Lots more then one dose. Sure, the magic lube works the first time. and almost as good the second time. Fifth time ? Well well...

Good luck try not to poison yourself too badly...

Regs
Dan