Biorad micropulser electroporator question

tom a.

Oct 29, 2016, 9:59:49 AM10/29/16
to DIYbio
Does anyone have any experience with a Biorad MicroPulser Electroporator? I made sure that the metal prongs were touching the metal sides of the cuvette, but it still errored out. I've never used one before, and want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Thanks in advance,
Tom
IMG_3198.GIF

Nathan McCorkle

Oct 29, 2016, 11:34:58 PM10/29/16
to diybio
You were using an electroporation cuvette, right? (I can't tell)

Here is a protocol that worked well for me, with E.coli overnight
subcultures and 18MOhm water... your medium may have been too salty
(conductive):
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/diybio/JcKyNIQGLIM/u4qIOllQRnAJ

Also, FYI:
Here are tables of voltage settings for various organisms...
http://m.imgur.com/a/swOXq

Also from this BioRad doc, pg 28
http://www.bio-rad.com/webroot/web/pdf/lsr/literature/4006174B.pdf
(screenshot here too) http://imgur.com/TmwPOho
Most Interestingly: E.Coli 12-18kV/cm, test at 5msec pulse, adjust
from that starting point for efficiency tuning
S.cerevisieae ~7.5kV/cm, start at 5msec pulse
> "DIYbio" group.
> email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/f8b1c3a0-06e6-4be2-aa89-415b77f9bc74%40googlegroups.com.

-Nathan

tom a.

Oct 30, 2016, 8:22:46 AM10/30/16
to DIYbio
Thanks for the tips. I am using an electroporation cuvette. I tried it without a cuvette, and got the same result. I did notice that the slider thing was upside down, but even after correcting that, it had the same result of Error.

I actually tried using DI water, but had the  same error. I think I might take it apart and see if the prongs on the sides are loose.

Thanks again for your help.

--Tom