Measles "immune amnesia" curing autoimmune disorders

Nathan McCorkle

Feb 5, 2020, 5:04:29 PM2/5/20
to diybio
It's an idea I've thought of each time this "immune amnesia" topic comes up, but I don't see any "legitimate" discussion on it.
Digging a bit into immune amnesia, it seems the existence of that idea is even argued. Though I can't tell if those claims are legitimate either, since I mostly found search hits on blogs and websites with "doctor" in the URL (which at first reaction seem 50:50 untrustable).

Jason Bobe

Feb 5, 2020, 5:20:36 PM2/5/20
to diybio
On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 5:04 PM Nathan McCorkle <nmz...@gmail.com> wrote:
It's an idea I've thought of each time this "immune amnesia" topic comes up, but I don't see any "legitimate" discussion on it.
Digging a bit into immune amnesia, it seems the existence of that idea is even argued. Though I can't tell if those claims are legitimate either, since I mostly found search hits on blogs and websites with "doctor" in the URL (which at first reaction seem 50:50 untrustable).

This is a very cool paper, using PhIPseq to characterize antibody repertoire of people pre- and post-measles infxn, as well as people pre- and post-MMR vaccine:

and brief summary:

Dakota Hamill

Feb 5, 2020, 5:28:28 PM2/5/20
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Anecdotal evidence which I'm not even sure is related but after I got mono-nuceleosis (Epstein-Barr Virus) and was bedridden for a month at 14-15 my parents said something changed about me forever.  Always lethargic and depressed, gained 80-100 pounds, and ended up getting GI problems and some kind of auto-immune inflammatory problem with a lot of blood in stool and many other issues.  https://www.mdmag.com/medical-news/can-epsteinbarr-virus-cause-autoimmune-illnesses

Fun times.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/CAKEeK-qkTfDLS-xhc3zn2uKyJ7Unp5TGcKqsZ0463ZiOHopC_w%40mail.gmail.com.

Dakota Hamill

Feb 5, 2020, 5:31:59 PM2/5/20
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Not to hijack your thread Nathan, but since Veritas is dead or dying, is there anywhere to get your whole genome sequence for $1,000-$2,000 yet?

Nathan McCorkle

Feb 6, 2020, 3:19:30 PM2/6/20
to diybio
On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 2:30 PM Dakota Hamill <dko...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not to hijack your thread Nathan, but since Veritas is dead or dying, is there anywhere to get your whole genome sequence for $1,000-$2,000 yet?

Oh? Their website still lists sequencing as a product:
https://www.veritasgenetics.com/myGenome

Dakota Hamill

Feb 6, 2020, 4:52:15 PM2/6/20
to diy...@googlegroups.com
https://www.genomeweb.com/sequencing/veritas-genetics-halts-us-operations-lays-more-30#.XjyKM9ZKg60

I only know because they're in my area and heard 6 months ago people had ordered there kits and still not gotten results over a year later. I don't know what they're doing, maybe selling to someone that can actually process the samples in a timely manner.  It's tortuous having only 23andme data in promethease because it'd be cool to see the whole thing.

Learn more at www.diybio.org

drewbug

Feb 16, 2020, 4:32:23 PM2/16/20
to DIYbio

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en

Learn more at www.diybio.org

Dakota Hamill

Feb 16, 2020, 4:46:57 PM2/16/20
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.  Anyone used them?

I don't like the idea of uploading my medical records and diagnosis prior to getting the data all that much.  Let alone at all.   Will read more.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/cfcecd0f-db09-44ed-a6ab-816c26bf78b0%40googlegroups.com.

Nathan McCorkle

Feb 20, 2020, 1:47:27 AM2/20/20
to diybio
Starting a new thread on this.

Just heard of this, supposedly, $300 genome for 30X coverage:

Learn more at www.diybio.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/cfcecd0f-db09-44ed-a6ab-816c26bf78b0%40googlegroups.com.

Dakota Hamill

Mar 20, 2020, 4:32:34 PM3/20/20
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Anyone tried it?  Someone just recommended it to me.  Another Church company.  I don't understand how is this different than Veritas 2.0?

Alex Brown

Mar 20, 2020, 5:19:00 PM3/20/20
to DIYbio
I I have not tried this but you can find local test centers for the NIH "All of Us study" which will pay you $30 to get your whole genome sequenced and a variety of other biometrics are also recorded. They are still recruiting. Its an enormous clinical trial. I think they are trying to get 10 million US residents to sign up. Have not received my data yet, btw.

Learn more at www.diybio.org