Free of cost plasmid vector

Tom De Medts

Sep 22, 2019, 11:10:41 PM9/22/19
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Dear DIYbio community members,

Greetings from the Richmond area, Virginia, USA !

Where / from who can I request, free-of-cost, a small-sized plasmid (<5KBp) that I need to practice  / teach the  E. coli bacterial transformation protocol ?

I prefer that the plasmid be selected using Kanamycin, because I got a gift of some Kanamycin powder from a retired professor.

Ampicillin selection is also OK I suppose, since I think I should be able to buy some from Amazon, but I prefer not to have that expense.

Thanks, in advance.
- Tom

Dakota Hamill

Sep 23, 2019, 9:13:55 AM9/23/19
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Learn more at www.diybio.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/CANpz%3DfHbQavX5fcEVZaZDjv53eJuq2Ei4Thcwki%2BLKc%3DAm_sYA%40mail.gmail.com.

Nathan McCorkle

Sep 26, 2019, 4:50:20 PM9/26/19
to diybio
the-odin.com has super-cheap plasmids, antibiotics, and media. They're
open to appeals from poor students/beginners too. If you post your
experiments on social media, they also give you store credit.
> --
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
> Learn more at www.diybio.org
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/CANpz%3DfHbQavX5fcEVZaZDjv53eJuq2Ei4Thcwki%2BLKc%3DAm_sYA%40mail.gmail.com.

--
-Nathan

Arthur Fernandes

Oct 10, 2019, 8:05:09 PM10/10/19
to DIYbio
Tom, i can send you a KanR plasmid. Please mail me at fernandes...@gmail.com.

https://www.goldbio.com sells ampicilin quite cheap.

Arthur

AdrianMolecule

Oct 14, 2019, 1:12:16 PM10/14/19
to DIYbio
Hi Tom,

Odin is quite cheap once you order a larger quantity but they charge you an extra 30$ for delivery which becomes hefty. In here Canada Ottawa where I stated a small DIY lab we did something similar. I could probably send you the transformed bacteria but you'll have to do the plasmid extraction.

Cheers,
Adrian

AdrianMolecule

Oct 14, 2019, 1:12:16 PM10/14/19
to DIYbio
They are pretty slow to reply or give you credit so don't count on that.

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 8:10 PM Tom De Medts <tdm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear DIYbio community members,
>
> Greetings from the Richmond area, Virginia, USA !
>
> Where / from who can I request, free-of-cost, a small-sized plasmid (<5KBp) that I need to practice  / teach the  E. coli bacterial transformation protocol ?
>
> I prefer that the plasmid be selected using Kanamycin, because I got a gift of some Kanamycin powder from a retired professor.
>
> Ampicillin selection is also OK I suppose, since I think I should be able to buy some from Amazon, but I prefer not to have that expense.
>
> Thanks, in advance.
> - Tom
>
> --
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
> Learn more at www.diybio.org
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.

Nathan McCorkle

Oct 15, 2019, 5:30:40 PM10/15/19
to diybio

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019, 10:12 AM AdrianMolecule <buzz...@gmail.com> wrote:
They are pretty slow to reply or give you credit so don't count on that.

My experience has been far from slow. I get my orders in a few days to a week max. Shipping has always been within reason for a given order's weight.

Nathan McCorkle

Oct 15, 2019, 5:33:18 PM10/15/19
to diybio
On Mon, Oct 14, 2019, 10:12 AM AdrianMolecule <buzz...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Tom,

Odin is quite cheap once you order a larger quantity but they charge you an extra 30$ for delivery which becomes hefty.

I ordered about $200 worth of products the first time, paid $25 shipping for a huge box full of stuff. Ordered a gel box later, paid $15 shipping. Ordered plasmids later, shipping was free (probably just a promotion).