Re: [Biohackers] Open source centrifuge!

Matthew Harbowy

Sep 26, 2013, 2:14:48 PM9/26/13
to sudo room biohackers mailing list, countercu...@googlegroups.com, diy...@googlegroups.com
In most cases, a 2000g, 6000 rpm minifuge is all you need for mini preps and pelleting DNA. Galaxy VWR minifuge for this is $422, brand new, from VWR. This kit is $260. You can pick up minifuges at used resellers for <$50. A basic Dremel tool is about $50. A replacement rotor for the galaxy microfuge (hint, hint) is $70.

To Patrik's point: how much is your eyesight worth? Be careful out there. When making plastic covers, use highly resistant materials, like polycarbonate laminates (e.g. MAKROLON). Metal rotors are probably a better idea than plastic ones. IMO, the brand new minifuge is not so expensive and has clearly traceable product liability. DIY in this case might be a great learning tool, if by "losing an eye" you learn what not to do.

This has been your "Important safety tip there, Egan" of the day.

Matt

On Thursday, September 26, 2013, Patrik D'haeseleer wrote:
I would also want to see what happens to that thin acrylic cover when a fully laden tube ejects from the rotor at full speed. High speed centrifuges are explosion-prone devices, and need to be tested as such. Flying shards of acrylic are no fun...

The typical recommendation for using the dremelfuge are to hold it inside a metal cooking pot - at least that will give you some serious protection.

Patrik

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Craig Rouskey <craigr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Jenny! Typically for DNA work centrifuge speeds need to be approx. 13000rpm/18000xg

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 1:15 AM, Jenny Ryan <tunab...@gmail.com> wrote:

Via @BiologiGaragen: New open source centrifuge
http://t.co/otDqV44UER http://t.co/54l7f5DNOt
Shared via TweetCaster

Craig Rouskey

Sep 26, 2013, 3:37:08 PM9/26/13
to sudo room biohackers mailing list, countercu...@googlegroups.com, diy...@googlegroups.com, sudo room biohackers mailing list
True, you can precipitate DNA with a slower speed, you would just have to spin for much longer making high throughput preps less efficient. For a project like GETit we'd want to have a more efficient fuge.

Nathan McCorkle

Sep 27, 2013, 2:23:32 PM9/27/13
to diybio, sudo room biohackers mailing list, countercu...@googlegroups.com
Harbor Freight (mostly chinese-imported tool store across USA) sells
dremel-like tools for $9 with accessories, not to mention the always
available %20 off coupons on retailmenot.com

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Matthew Harbowy <hberg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "DIYbio" group.
> email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.