I'm a beginner and interested in learning Biohacking but don't know how to and where to

Ayush Mahajan

May 2, 2017, 6:53:36 PM5/2/17
to DIYbio
I'm good in Computer Programming, hacking and I'm interested in learning about this field so I was hoping to get some guidance here

Nathan McCorkle

May 3, 2017, 12:18:41 AM5/3/17
to diybio
Hi Ayush,
take a look over these and let us know when you get need help or want more.

-Nathan

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Ayush Mahajan <blue...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm good in Computer Programming, hacking and I'm interested in learning about this field so I was hoping to get some guidance here
>
> --
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
> Learn more at www.diybio.org
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/95ae445d-ab5d-4d46-8231-55419e6298b1%40googlegroups.com.

-Nathan

Nathan McCorkle

May 3, 2017, 12:57:46 AM5/3/17
to diybio
Sorry, forgot the link:
http://diyhpl.us/wiki/diybio/faq/
--
-Nathan

Gerald Trost

May 3, 2017, 5:38:42 PM5/3/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com

hi in diybio.faq the links to the videos give me unavailable videos

what is going on here ?

thanks, Gerald

Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 6:57 AM
From: "Nathan McCorkle" <nmz...@gmail.com>
To: diybio <diy...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [DIYbio] I'm a beginner and interested in learning Biohacking but don't know how to and where to

Nathan McCorkle

May 4, 2017, 3:14:11 AM5/4/17
to diybio
On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 12:08 AM, Gerald Trost <gerald...@mail.com> wrote:

> hi in diybio.faq the links to the videos give me unavailable videos
>
> what is going on here ?
>
> thanks, Gerald

Hi Gerald, can you point me to the exact page and links?

Dennis Oleksyuk

May 4, 2017, 2:07:57 PM5/4/17
to diybio
Ayush,

if (you don't know much about biology and just want to learn)
    // This will get you up to speed with the science that you need to know
    // to do anything useful in biology.
    // Otherwise you will be like a programmer who does not know
    // what CPU and RAM are for.
    do {
        learn();
    }until(the chapter about ecology)
}
else if (know stuff && want to play with living cells)
{
    // Doing biology is the only way to learn about biology.
    // Just like programming, building equipment (aka OpenPCR)
    // or learning how to analyze output (aka bioinformatics) will not
    // put you anywhere close to real programming (aka changing genes).
    do {
        look for accomplices
        read stuff online
        buy stuff online
        try to run experiments
    }until (successfully run simple biological experiment, like bacterial transformation)
}
else
{
  // Probably this is a wrong mailing list.
}

Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Gerald Trost

May 4, 2017, 5:32:32 PM5/4/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Hi Nathan!

on diyhpluswiki/ diybio/ faq/ educational
I found this section:

==========================
 Educational Videos
 Chris Seidel's 2008 "Biohacking - An Overview" talk at The Last HOPE. It's really, really good.
 Video 1 of 6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMhLHCswYdI
 Chris gets into the thick of things in video 4 - 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q11A9JtFbVg
==========================

when I try to open these videos then youtube tells me:

this video is unavailable. sorry for this

is it unavailable in Austria only ?
what is going on ?
can Andreas Stuermer open these videos from Austria?

many thanks for your help.

Gerald

Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 9:13 AM

From: "Nathan McCorkle" <nmz...@gmail.com>
To: diybio <diy...@googlegroups.com>
Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

May 5, 2017, 3:34:31 AM5/5/17
to DIYbio
Nope, doesN't work with me either

There seem to be fixes though

Brian Degger

May 5, 2017, 5:09:26 AM5/5/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Hi.

See if this version works for you.
https://youtu.be/r6CKbhNw2ZA

Cheers,
Brian

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en

Learn more at www.diybio.org

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Nathan McCorkle

May 5, 2017, 5:22:15 AM5/5/17
to diybio
Hi Gerald,

Here's an active video... neither of those two videos worked for me
here in the U.S. so I guess the original uploader removed them.
Hopefully this video includes all the parts, I didn't find any
additional
The Last HOPE (2008): Biohacking - An Overview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udCFuUOOcFQ

I'll get the wiki updated tomorrow, thanks for pointing this out.

Kabing

Jun 26, 2017, 10:23:55 PM6/26/17
to DIYbio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds8ZFzOwGeI

Try replicating the Thought Emporium's project on the Scoby Project that's the place I started but that's because I have some lab expierence in my belt as a Biology major.