Julia Language; are you using it?

Jonathan Cline

Nov 6, 2022, 11:28:10 AM11/6/22
to DIYbio
Quick poll. Are you/your lab using or planning to use the Julia language for programming?  Or if you've investigated the language and decided not to use it, why or why not?

--
## Jonathan Cline
## jcl...@ieee.org

Dan Kolis

Nov 6, 2022, 11:47:26 AM11/6/22
to DIYbio

A tabular view of Python versus Julia on many planning axis:
https://www.educba.com/julia-vs-python/

I'm working on a set of code that involves a interpreted portion to make it easy for users to tweak it without any fancy s/w management plan and a compiled side for speed. This is Python + Rust now.

For ref here are a few ways to get a compiler to fire up:
https://julialang.org/downloads/platform/

When I get a whiff of a language ( I think I know perhaps 35 or so Comp languages, easily ) I usually leave a hello world program and some IDE-ish thing on file. So it's by definition, a "maybe".

But large projects invariably span years if there even get into play seriously at all. So, it's a big decision to take a language seriously.

Not for me right now; Maybe for me, someday.

Thanks for asking, I like to have material prepared.

Regards,
Daniel B. Kolis