“For sale,” “Service," "Barter,” or “Free” section/thread?

Yuriy

May 23, 2021, 1:36:29 PM5/23/21
to DIYbio
What do you think if this group had a for sale or free section/thread of lab equipment? I ran across some charitable fundraising recently looking for one or two lab tools. Before I knew it, I had an inbox with 10 inventories that had to find a new place before owners rent runs out. These organizations are willing to ship, of course. Some tools are too heavy to be shipped. Others are niche items.

Universities are always shedding some lab tools. Barter systems could work between labs not wanting the clutter.

I am not suggesting the entire deal be in the open thread on this forum, just that its available and declared when it isn’t once the deal is agreed upon once done.

I doubt landlords or real estate agents would find their way here but it could also extend to facilities wanting to invite Bio Labs. I know of at least one community lab looking for a new place around NYC's Long Island City.

Thoughts?

Frank

May 23, 2021, 1:58:00 PM5/23/21
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Yes please!

Learn more at www.diybio.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/04adabea-afa2-4d2e-b18f-918908a845cfn%40googlegroups.com.

Marko Komlosh

May 23, 2021, 3:28:39 PM5/23/21
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hey Yurij,

I agree with you. Would like to have that option.
If you know how to organize it, would like to help.

Sincerely,
Marko Komlosh

Yuriy

May 24, 2021, 1:42:57 PM5/24/21
to DIYbio
How about start out with
  1. Item name, including model. A simple select and right click should have a lot of info associated with it once it passes through a search.
  2. Point of origin
    • For input electric current requirements
  3. Condition
    • Used/in need of repair/missing parts/as-is/use for parts
  4. Willing to ship or not
    • Dimensions, weight
  5. Video call demonstration.
    • This may be problematic if an item needs a long time to cycle. A time-lapse video should be enough.
  6. Third party verification, if dealing with a hardware dealer.
  7. On-site verification by someone within the DIYBio community local to the supplier willing to give up their time.
    • Maybe problematic for someone doing the legwork or even shipping, if the seller won't, and giving up time. Compensate?
As for creating a section, the moderators would have to give the subgroup a label and a warning of no personal responsibility. The buyer/recipient would have to do their own due diligence.

Having mentioned all of that I see a potential flaw, especially if money is involved. What if the seller is unverified and doesn’t ship out that which is paid for?

John Griessen

May 24, 2021, 2:25:16 PM5/24/21
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On 5/24/21 12:42 PM, Yuriy wrote:
> As for creating a section, the moderators would have to give the subgroup a label and a warning of no personal responsibility. The
> buyer/recipient would have to do their own due diligence.
>
> Having mentioned all of that I see a potential flaw, especially if money is involved. What if the seller is unverified and doesn’t
> ship out that which is paid for?

Electronics engineers like 20-40 year old test equipment from name brands
because it usually still works, and often is repairable
more than the current machines. Plenty of mentions of things for sale are allowed and someone made a separate groups.io group
just for selling, with moderation and the same types of listing details as mentioned above:
Item name,
Point of origin
Condition
Willing to ship or not
Dimensions, weight
photos, videos

But they stop short of time consuming anything being required
not Video call demonstration.
not verifying

Those steps are buyer beware. That said, there is a community cohesion and people who have
given bad treatment to buyers in the past have been run out of the group.

So, there is precedent of such listings working well and being valuable, helpful.

trent smith

May 24, 2021, 10:39:19 PM5/24/21
to DIYbio

I have purchased all of the equipment from university surplus sales by procurement. liquidation.  My project hasn't fully come into fruition, but it has allowed me to proactively amass capital to begin with.  Only two cons, the time researching, bidding for auctions, and delivery/pick-up.  I still have a biosafety hood covered outdoors as I have to get help moving it, and finding a semi-permanent home for it.  It's so heavy. So decisions with the freight shipment process is a learning curve, or securing help at a pick-up. But the pros are worth it, I recent drove 10 hours round trip for an entire truck full of new, old lab supplies. I highly approve of your plan. If nothing else just to ended the life of perfectly fine equipment, and lighten the load of landfills.

Yuriy

May 26, 2021, 3:48:20 PM5/26/21
to DIYbio
John, Do you have a direct link? I tried looking, couldn't find it.

Yuriy

May 26, 2021, 3:48:47 PM5/26/21
to DIYbio
Seems like you are traveling alone on your hauls. Have you tried an engine hoist for your heavy things? So long as you've got level ground, it should fit your needs, in my opinion.

John Griessen

May 28, 2021, 9:21:57 AM5/28/21
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On 5/26/21 2:48 PM, Yuriy wrote:
> John, Do you have a direct link?

Here is an example list that is about selling things related to other lists about HP and Tektronix test gear:

https://groups.io/g/Test-Equipment-For-Sale-Wanted-or-Exchange/message/2451

(It's not about bio equipment though...)

Ben Hunt

Jun 7, 2021, 4:46:01 PM6/7/21
to DIYbio
I have also played at the auctions, and often found more than what I was looking for

Tools I am looking for (and will pay for)

Nanodrop
Sonicator (Qsonix q125 or Misonix probe type)
High pressure type Homogenizer (anything from Avestin but also any french press type homogenizer > 20k psi)
Bead-beater type homogenizer
Freeze-drier
Shell Freezer

Equipment I have of some value that I'm down to sell or trade or if you are local give away

-80 freezers, mostly Harris SLT-21V-85D14
-centrifuges of a variety of sizes and types, the nice ones were the Eppendorf 5804 and 5417R, and the Beckman Coulter 25R
Harris Laboratory Freezer Model SLT-21V-85D14
eppendorf Centrifuges 5804, 5417R

I also have some -20s and some smaller centrifuges

Thanks!  I'm in New Orleans

Nathan McCorkle

Jun 7, 2021, 9:00:52 PM6/7/21
to diybio
I'm looking for a laminar flow hood, west of Portland Oregon.