UK Midlands DIYbio group

Abdul K Kheirallah

May 31, 2014, 12:57:39 PM5/31/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hello all!

Just recently I became aware of the DIYbio movement and I'm quite fascinated by this kind of 'democratization' of science. It seems like we are not longer living in the area where science is confined to the elite. The emergence of citizen scientists can change the outcome of scientific fruits quite substantially.

In any event I'd like to form a local branch of DIYbio that would cater for the needs of interested parties in the UK midlands area (Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire etc). I'm a doctoral student at the University of Nottingham where I study the biology and genetics of human epithelial cells. I have experience in research techniques and would love to be involved in the movement.

If anyone is interested, please get in touch.

Best wishes
Abdul

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Jun 2, 2014, 10:07:36 AM6/2/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Can't help with UK guys but may supply a few ideas what diy-stuff to do with human epithelial cells :D

Cathal Garvey

Jun 2, 2014, 1:42:28 PM6/2/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Which is where I usually jump in saying "don't work with human cell
lines in a DIYbio setting". Seriously, you can actually propagate and
contract diseases from human cell lines. In extreme cases if you're
working with your own cells, there's even the chance of "catching"
cancer from the cells in the dish, though I don't think it's ever
actually happened.

If you want to do animal cell culture, stick to chinese hamsters, or
better yet use insect cell lines.

--
T: @onetruecathal, @IndieBBDNA
P: +353876363185

Abdul K Kheirallah

Jun 2, 2014, 4:24:28 PM6/2/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com, cathal...@cathalgarvey.me
Hi thanks for the reply,

I'm not considering to do mammalian cell culture in DIYbio setting. Rather starting from simple molecular stuff and perhaps bacterial cells culture. What is your experience in setting the DIYbio lab?

Abdul K Kheirallah

Jun 2, 2014, 4:24:59 PM6/2/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
All right.... any ideas are welcome on board :)

Abdul K Kheirallah

Jun 3, 2014, 4:29:40 PM6/3/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Anybody still interested ?

Jebus Jones

Jun 4, 2014, 2:29:35 PM6/4/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I think it would be better to try to set up a UK wide group rather than just an East Midlands group. I'm in Newcastle in The North east of England and its dead here mate.

Nothing doing at all. If we can get enough members for a UK wide group then that would be a start.

On Tuesday, 3 June 2014 21:29:40 UTC+1, Abdul K Kheirallah wrote:
Anybody still interested ?

Abdul K Kheirallah

Jun 4, 2014, 3:46:32 PM6/4/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jebus,

Yeah it's a good idea. But we would need to meet somehow in order to set-up a lab with basic research equipment. Or else we'll be living in a virtual world only. What you reckon?

Best,
Abdul

Jebus Jones

Jun 4, 2014, 4:36:08 PM6/4/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I reckon we should go to Manchester (and/or London) and ask them how they did it? http://diybio.madlab.org.uk/ Either you can drop them a line or I will? I don't think we can do it without any support. We need advice and insight, particularly in how to get other people (and organisations) interested and involved.

Drop me an email if you (or anyone else) is interested. I have some equipment I could throw in for a lab, but nothing nearly enough yet for anything decent. I need collaboration.

Michael Tellier

Jun 4, 2014, 5:09:46 PM6/4/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I already have exchanged some emails with Abdul but I am also a PhD from Nottingham. I have several E. coli strains and basic plasmids in case we need some.

I also agree that talking with people that are already running a lab is currently the best way since a lot of stuff is needed (space, materials...)

Abdul K Kheirallah

Jun 4, 2014, 6:26:56 PM6/4/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hello again Jebus,

That sounds great to me. I've just attempted a billion dollar experiment to find your email address with no positive result :p . Can you tell me how can I find you?
Best
Abdul

Jebus Jones

Jun 4, 2014, 6:52:21 PM6/4/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi no sweat. It's jebus...@gmail.com.

I have emailed them so hopefully they will be up for arranging a chat, or a meet soon.

Feel free to drop me a line.

George

Jebus Jones

Jun 5, 2014, 1:01:40 PM6/5/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys, if you are still up for doing something can you please email me?

Abdul K Kheirallah

Jun 5, 2014, 3:27:00 PM6/5/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Jebus I've just emailed you but it said the message failed to reach you. Are you sure your email is  jebus...@gmail.com ???

Jebus Jones

Jun 5, 2014, 3:49:56 PM6/5/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Crap this system is clipping my email address. Try jebus.2504 AT gmail.com. Replace AT with @ and remove gaps.

Brian Degger

Jun 5, 2014, 4:19:06 PM6/5/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com

It's not dead in newcastle. Just quiet...

Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/d47881a0-975f-4904-b919-252ec322c18f%40googlegroups.com.

Jebus Jones

Jun 5, 2014, 4:42:07 PM6/5/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Well where is everyone hiding Brian?

Abdul K Kheirallah

Jun 5, 2014, 4:45:20 PM6/5/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
should be all right this time. cheers
Message has been deleted

Jebus Jones

Jun 5, 2014, 5:06:20 PM6/5/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Lol now your dmu.ac.uk email address is coming back as 'disabled'. It won't be easy to communicate if it stays that way. Do you perhaps have a Gmail account instead? Here is the email I sent anyway"

That sounds good Abdul. The main issue I feel will be in having the drive and determination to give the DIYBio movement in the UK some momentum. Right now outside of London, there appears to be almost nothing - and little awareness of the DIYBio movement as a whole. This I feel is unfortunate and needs to change. There may be some merit I feel in seeking some form of corporate sponsorship and/or assistance.

Also you should consider contacting the London group to ask for their help. I would be happy to consider accompanying you on a fact finding mission should this prove desirable. In the meantime it might be wise to stockpile as much lab equipment as you can legitimately lay your hands on. I have a few items that may be of assistance.

George

Brian Degger

Jun 6, 2014, 5:54:44 AM6/6/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com

In  universities galleries etc. Last year at makerfaire in Newcastle we had a diybio corner people from around the world, as well as diy bio dinners at all but the last makerfaire(was away).

At makerspace.org newcastle i do brewing, baking and microscopy basic domestic biotechnology as well as investigating affordable lab technologies. Been a bit busy this year but building a tiny lab there in July.

Cheers,
Brian