Non-toxic DNA extraction from plants for DNA sequencing?

Lisa Thalheim

Jun 29, 2018, 3:39:45 AM6/29/18
to DIYbio
Hi all,

we're doing a Hands-On DNA sequencing workshop this summer, and I've
been looking around for a good DNA extraction protocol, which is going
meh. So I thought I'd ask here for input. Parameters:

* Should work well on plants. We're a bit flexible here - our current
candidates are Malus x domestica or Fragarius vesca, but we could switch
to another agriculturally important plant for which we can find old
cultivars. This includes tomatoes, cucumbers, other fruit trees...
* Must be relatively non-toxic. No chloroform, nothing that needs a fume
hood.
* Extracted material must be suitable for DNA sequencing (ONT MinION
sequencing to be precise)

We're open to using a kit if need be.

Cheers,
Lisa