Hacking CD/DVD/Blu-ray for Biosensing

Markos

Aug 16, 2018, 9:39:09 AM8/16/18
to DIYbio

Hi,

Interesting paper:

Hacking CD/DVD/Blu-ray for Biosensing

Center for Intelligent Drug Delivery and Sensing Using Microcontainers and Nanomechanics (IDUN), Department of Micro- and Nanotechnology, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby 2800, Denmark

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acssensors.8b00340

PDF

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1021/acssensors.8b00340

Triple-wavelength OPU controller circuit designs:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/suppl/10.1021/acssensors.8b00340/suppl_file/se8b00340_si_001.pdf

MP4 Video

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/suppl/10.1021/acssensors.8b00340/suppl_file/se8b00340_liveslides.mp4

Supporting Information

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/suppl/10.1021/acssensors.8b00340/suppl_file/se8b00340_si_001.pdf

Abizar Lakdawalla

Aug 16, 2018, 9:50:48 AM8/16/18
to diy...@googlegroups.com
good catch. very good information on using dvd heads. Thanks

Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/67cdfe87-155d-cf87-bac3-7dc8b56c100c%40c2o.pro.br.

Nathan McCorkle

Aug 16, 2018, 4:45:04 PM8/16/18
to diybio
I've got a laser controller from this project:
http://www.diyouware.com/DiyoPCB-MKI

the amount of (now) cheap tech embedded in some everyday objects is
truly amazing.

also another software to investigate manual control of optical disc drives is:
http://safecopy.sourceforge.net/
On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 6:39 AM Markos <mar...@c2o.pro.br> wrote:

> --
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
> Learn more at www.diybio.org
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/67cdfe87-155d-cf87-bac3-7dc8b56c100c%40c2o.pro.br.

-Nathan

Edwin Hwu

Aug 28, 2018, 4:17:04 PM8/28/18
to DIYbio
Hi,

    There are also some softwres can read the error correction codes on the disc:
https://cdn-pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acssensors.8b00340

Nathan McCorkle於 2018年8月16日星期四 UTC+2下午10時45分04秒寫道:

Edwin Hwu

Aug 28, 2018, 4:17:14 PM8/28/18
to DIYbio
Welcome! I hope this review article can help more people :)

Markos於 2018年8月16日星期四 UTC+2下午3時39分09秒寫道:

Nathan McCorkle

Aug 28, 2018, 9:08:23 PM8/28/18
to diybio, who...@gmail.com
On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 1:17 PM Edwin Hwu <who...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There are also some softwres can read the error correction codes on the disc:
> https://cdn-pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acssensors.8b00340

Hi Dr. Hwu,
Have you released any code online that we could use?

I have been interested in controlling stock BLU-RAY drives to perform
lithography for microfluidics (aside from the analytic capabilities as
you've demonstrated)... i.e. just insert a disc with photoresist, and
"burn" an image... not unlike LightScribe or maybe this method of
arranging an ISO file to be burned and result in an image in the CD
dye:
https://superuser.com/questions/442040/how-to-paint-the-data-layer-of-a-cd-using-a-cd-drive/559312

The review and electronic schematics are great! Thanks a lot!

Best,
-Nathan

whoand

Aug 29, 2018, 10:22:59 AM8/29/18
to nmz...@gmail.com, diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nathan,

     My application for laser cutting is done manually by turning the linear stage. But I believe you can find some useful resources here:

     Here is a company use Arduino for AFM application, you can find their open source control software:

image.png

Cheers,

Edwin

Nathan McCorkle <nmz...@gmail.com> 於 2018年8月29日 週三 上午3:08寫道:

Edwin Hwu

Sep 12, 2018, 3:13:24 PM9/12/18
to DIYbio
BTW, one video summarizes the OPU hackings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bqujaldaCQ

Edwin Hwu於 2018年8月29日星期三 UTC+2下午4時22分59秒寫道: