RE: [DIYbio] Re: Small side project - baking GFP bread - exhibtion

Sebastian Cocioba

Dec 9, 2013, 9:32:20 PM12/9/13
to diybio
Just remember that some GFPs are sensitive to pH and will denature in acidic conditions. Maybe even the high temp of baking? Either way it would be neat to see if you can get decent expression. Best of luck!

Sebastian S. Cocioba
CEO & Founder
New York Botanics, LLC
Plant Biotech R&D

Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/36044cf9-7b41-4b51-96c8-f1518b91efc6%40googlegroups.com.

Cathal Garvey (Phone)

Dec 10, 2013, 4:06:36 AM12/10/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
IIRC once folded, GFP is somewhat stable up to 60C: could try a weird baking cycle of rise->cook to heat innards for long time at 40 then 50, then grill the outside to form crust?

I'm not convinced you'll get edible results even if it were legal to try it!

Sebastian Cocioba <scoc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just remember that some GFPs are sensitive to pH and will denature in acidic conditions. Maybe even the high temp of baking? Either way it would be neat to see if you can get decent expression. Best of luck!

Sebastian S. Cocioba
CEO & Founder
New York Botanics, LLC
Plant Biotech R&D

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Dec 10, 2013, 12:27:05 PM12/10/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much!!

I could search the literature whether there extended heat-stable versions of GFP have been characterized. For monellin, they found drastical enhancements in terms of heat stability.
On the other hand, this is mKate (red flouorescent), and it may be more or less stable by default.

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Dec 10, 2013, 12:31:05 PM12/10/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
http://peds.oxfordjournals.org/content/22/5/313.full

Extremely heat stable flurescent protein

Cathal Garvey (Phone)

Dec 10, 2013, 2:40:14 PM12/10/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Oh, cool!

Nathan McCorkle

Dec 25, 2013, 2:27:44 PM12/25/13
to diybio
Just found this protein sweetener too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaumatin

Andreas Stuermer

Dec 25, 2013, 2:34:06 PM12/25/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Wow, nice stuff!

If the GFP-bread itself reaches enough attention, it may be a step further. Synthesizing the Thaumatin gene plus a heat stable GFP.

Good tasting fluorescent bread :D

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Dec 29, 2013, 1:10:13 PM12/29/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6750/12/65

Fluorescent proteins that work under aneorobic condition and are only 1/10 the lenght of GFP?

Ideal for fluorescent beer?!?

Mike Horwath

Dec 30, 2013, 10:15:19 AM12/30/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, the fluorescence spectra of the tryptophan tags in this article doesn't look so favorable.  Excitation maximum ~290nm, Emission max ~340nm.  So you are unlikely to see much unless  you have UV-B illumination and your eyes can see ultraviolet....
Fluorescent bread/beer is a cool idea!  I hope this makes progress!

Mike

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Dec 30, 2013, 11:35:37 AM12/30/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Right. But there will be other proteins that may mature under anaerobic conditions :D

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Jan 3, 2014, 1:48:33 PM1/3/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
http://peds.oxfordjournals.org/content/22/5/313.full.pdf

They put their GFP mutant to 99°C and 30°C repeatedly, and it always recovered again.

Overnight incubation at 80°C didn't harm fluorescence.

How des that look? Can you bake bread at "only" 120°C ? And is there a chance this protein may survive it??

Mike Horwath

Jan 5, 2014, 9:36:04 AM1/5/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
That does look promising!

 I've never heard of baking bread at 120C, but I think you could bake hotter.  Even in a 200C oven, the interior of the loaf should stay a lot closer to 100C.  Turning water to vapor is endothermic and will keep the loaf roughly at boiling temperature.  In fact, one way to tell when bread is done is to stick in a thermometer--if the center is at 95C+ it's done.

Another idea could be to try a bagel/pretzel type recipe, where most of the cooking occurs in boiling water.  Then just a brief time in the oven to crisp the crust.

Mike

Cathal Garvey

Jan 6, 2014, 6:28:50 AM1/6/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
(Or a once-over with a blowtorch!)
0x988B9099.asc
signature.asc
Message has been deleted

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Jan 18, 2014, 11:33:10 AM1/18/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
As I'm working with mKate instead of GFP:

Is it smart to eat the GM bread? ^^

I mean, the proteins are dentured by baking and also by acid in the stomach.

Thoug prions are subjected to the same procedure and seem to survive well and do damage.

Now, some fluorescent coral protein won't likely act as prions, right? Would you guess your life on it? :P

Matthew Pocock

Jan 18, 2014, 12:45:46 PM1/18/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm not a prions expert, but to the best of my knowledge, GFP and friends are not in any way similar to prions, and should be entirely broken down by digestion - I would expect it to be entirely safe - I've never even heard of anything being allergic to GFP. However, usual disclaimers apply - I've not tested this or seen clinical trials, and wouldn't want to suggest that eating GFP is guaranteed safe or recommend it for any purpose, yada yad yada.

Matthew

Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Dr Matthew Pocock
Turing ate my hamster LTD

Integrative Bioinformatics Group, School of Computing Science, Newcastle University

skype: matthew.pocock
tel: (0191) 2566550

Cathal Garvey

Jan 18, 2014, 1:56:03 PM1/18/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Without either endorsing it on legal grounds, nor discounting the
possibility that it *could* do harm (but *only* for stupid legal
reasons), I can safely say that your fluorophore's chances of acting
like a prion are as high as its chances of acting like a perpetual
motion machine.

Prions are endogenous in origin; they refold other versions of
*themselves* in the infected animal, and therefore can only plausibly
emerge from an endogenous protein under as-yet-poorly-understood
circumstances or quirks of evolution.

As you have no proteins that resemble mkate, and as mkate is startlingly
unlikely to be able to misfold other proteins into malevolent form, I
don't see there being any realistic chance of prion-like harm.

More relevant is the question of the fluorophore; is this GFP derived?
In which case the conjugated amino acids that form the fluorophore are
unlikely to be any more harmful than GFP, which appears pretty safe on
ingestion at this point. For some exotic weird fluorophore consisting
entirely of an alkaloid toxin, things would be different. :)

The protein part of your fluorescent protein is likewise unlikely to
pose a serious risk; very few proteins survive digestion, and usually
those have evolved to do so, such as the inflammatory peptides in
gliadans (e.g. gluten) and spore coats or cyst coats that protect parasites.
0x988B9099.asc
signature.asc

DIY BIO Groningen

Jan 18, 2014, 2:30:09 PM1/18/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I suggest you to read some related literature about the topic... Here I link you some starting articles.

Is green fluorescent protein toxic to the living cells?

Safety Assessment of Recombinant Green Fluorescent Protein Orally Administered to Weaned Rats

And some background info...

Best,

Alec - DIY BIO Groningen

<0x988B9099.asc>

Simon Quellen Field

Jan 18, 2014, 2:29:59 PM1/18/14
to diybio
If all you want is fluorescent bread, why not add turmeric to the dough?
It's a common cheap spice, it tastes good in the bread, it is quite fluorescent, and it survives baking.

You still need a source of ultraviolet light, and eat in the dark, so I'm not sure what the big attraction would be. Putting luminescent bacteria into your yogurt might be more fun, since then you don't need the ultraviolet light. Something like Photobacterium phosphoreum might do nicely -- it has the added benefit of preferring cold environments like the refrigerator, and is not a pathogen. You could add it to the cream cheese you spread on the bread. :-)

-----
Get a free science project every week! "http://scitoys.com/newsletter.html"

Simon Quellen Field

Jan 18, 2014, 2:39:25 PM1/18/14
to diybio
Has anyone on this list looked into BioLume?

-----
Get a free science project every week! "http://scitoys.com/newsletter.html"

Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Simon Quellen Field

Jan 18, 2014, 2:41:25 PM1/18/14
to diybio
If you like this thread, you might like this too.

-----
Get a free science project every week! "http://scitoys.com/newsletter.html"

Andreas Stuermer

Jan 18, 2014, 3:57:33 PM1/18/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Nice.

The GFP study does not apply here, because AFAIK mKate is derived from some coral (and therefore IP free)

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Simon Quellen Field

Jan 18, 2014, 5:13:31 PM1/18/14
to diybio
For $10, you can make your own glowing lollipops using this.
Also good for making ink, hair mousse and cake frosting.

-----
Get a free science project every week! "http://scitoys.com/newsletter.html"

Cathal Garvey

Jan 19, 2014, 5:56:26 AM1/19/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I would *definitely* warn off eating Vibrio phosphoreum (née
Photobacterium). I have a paper lying around that found phosphoreum
contained anhydrotetrodotoxin, a precursor to the infamous TTX toxin and
about 25% as toxic as TTX in its own right.

Sadly the paper didn't quantify how much A-TTX was in V.phosphoreum
strains tested, but in the absence of such data it ought to be assumed
unsafe if it contains a neurotoxin in unquantified levels.

Interesting that despite this, V.phosphoreum continues to be classified
as Biohazard Lvl. 1: Essentially, it's safe to work and play with as
long as you don't eat it, and maybe even in that case (but I/we don't know).

Would make a nice project if someone wants to quantify the TTX levels in
this species, provided it's not illegal to work with
toxins-found-in-natural-food-products for the purposes of research in
your area.

On 18/01/14 19:29, Simon Quellen Field wrote:
> If all you want is fluorescent bread, why not add turmeric to the dough?
> It's a common cheap spice, it tastes good in the bread, it is quite
> fluorescent, and it survives baking.
>
> You still need a source of ultraviolet light, and eat in the dark, so I'm
> not sure what the big attraction would be. Putting luminescent bacteria
> into your yogurt might be more fun, since then you don't need the
> ultraviolet light. Something like *Photobacterium phosphoreum
> <http://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Photobacterium_phosphoreum>* might
0x988B9099.asc
signature.asc

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Jan 25, 2014, 1:18:34 PM1/25/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Just noticed that my source for the flourescent yeast actually has a very light red, which seems not to be visible to the naked human eye. Does anyone here have access to a fluorescent yeast strain?? Would be very nice!