DIYbio Philippines

Raymund

Nov 11, 2010, 9:45:20 AM11/11/10
to DIYbio
Hi. I'm Raymund, an amateur/DIY microbiologist/microscopist from the
Philippines.

My main interests are studying protozoans and other microscopic
eukaryotes.

Gemma Marcelo

Jan 27, 2014, 12:47:32 PM1/27/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Raymond! I am also interested in DIYbio/bio hacking and I would very much love it if more people in our country would be a part of this Science movement. I am an amateur in this field right now (I graduated with a business course last 2011) but I am currently pursuing my childhood love of science. Right now, I am studying Biology on my own, and would like to take my Biology/Chemistry knowledge up a notch by actually doing experiments/lab work relevant to those fields. Just last year., I stumbled upon a TEDx video featuring Ellen Jorgensen talking about Biohacking. I was fascinated with the idea that there is a movement which involves amateur scientists/normal citizens interested in contributing to science . I became very interested and attempted to look on the Internet if there's already a Philippine movement for this. I was disappointed that there is none. During my Googling, I was able to find your post on Google Plus raising this issue.... so I am wondering.... Maybe you're interested to partner with me in creating a DIYbio Philippines group? We could work more effectively together so we could bring more people and awareness of science in this country. How does this idea sound to you? If you're okay with this idea, do you want to have a meetup with me so we can talk about the details of how we would do it? :)

BTW, I currently live in Quezon City, although I am amenable to go anywhere within the country to schedule a meetup. (I'm just really excited over this idea!)  Hope you consider my proposal. Thanks!

Cheers,

-Gemma Marcelo

Eric Harness

Apr 22, 2020, 6:27:52 PM4/22/20
to DIYbio

Raymond, Hey, I am Eric Harness formerly the President of BioCurious in Santa Clara California.  I was going through the posts on DIY Bio and I saw your post on starting a DIY Bio group in the Philippines.  Did that ever go through?  The reason I am asking is we received some funding teaching some Biosafety, Intellectual property, Public Health, and COVID-19 training and I am trying to rally as many folks who need it as possible.  If there is a lab group we are going to do the training and take questions remotely.   We are going to do 4 sessions.  If you are interested in this please let me know I will forward a survey so we can build the presentation. We are targeting May 6 for the first one. Thanks

Eric

Adrian Cueto

Apr 22, 2020, 6:29:39 PM4/22/20
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I’m interested!

Learn more at www.diybio.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/4677c85f-230d-49df-9543-130fc98efacc%40googlegroups.com.

Eric Harness

Apr 23, 2020, 12:43:18 AM4/23/20
to DIYbio
Oh Fantastic!!  I will send out the survey in a few days.  I am happy you responded! Eric

On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 6:29:39 PM UTC-4, Adrian Cueto wrote:
I’m interested!

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en

Learn more at www.diybio.org

Eric Harness

May 2, 2020, 1:08:26 PM5/2/20
to DIYbio
Adrian

Here is the announcement thanks for your interest

In partnership with Merrick & Company we will be hosting a three-part webinar series starting on May 6, 2020. This free webinar series is open to individuals from the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia and will cover biosafety and biosecurity topics during the COVID-19 pandemic for those working in the DIYBio, makerspace, community lab and iGEM Teams spaces.

Individuals who apply to participate int the Biosafety & Biosecurity during COVID-19 Webinar Series for East Asia Pacific must participate in all 3 webinars on the following dates:

  • Webinar #1 Topic: Basics of biosafety for DIYBio, Hygiene, Bloodborne pathogen – May 6, 2020
  • Webinar #2 Topic: Responding to COVID-19, Public Health - May 20, 2020
  • Webinar #3 Topic: Basics of biosecurity for DIYBio   – June 3, 2020

To apply to be a participant, applicants must complete the form either via google forms or the attached document, and then submit this form along with a copy of your curriculum vitae (CV) to brittany.linkous@merrick.com. Selection for the training event is a competitive selection process and contingent on approval. Merrick & Company reserves the right to withdrawal offers to individuals who are unresponsive or do not meet the project requirements. The deadline for submitting this application is due by 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST) on Sunday May 3, 2020.

Please email Britt Linkous (brittany...@merrick.com )  with any questions related to the application process with the subject line: 19_EAP001_COVID19 WEBINAR.

Link to apply.