if one want to set up a small molecular bio lab plus small pre-scale plant.....

tashou

Feb 4, 2021, 1:02:37 AM2/4/21
to DIYbio
try to buy second hand equip or diy the equip a I can as possible, and try to pass the approving in the gov, how much USD and how long would it be?

Nathan McCorkle

Feb 7, 2021, 7:43:28 PM2/7/21
to diybio
Buying new equipment means a lot of money, but less time getting it working.
Used equipment is less money, but more time searching for it, and maybe time repairing it.
DIY equipment is usually very cheap, but costs significantly in development or manufacturing time.

It really depends on what your goals and timelines are.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/3995660a-05fb-437a-beb8-6196e56c8bd8n%40googlegroups.com.

Tom De Medts

Feb 9, 2021, 11:31:29 AM2/9/21
to DIYbio
A colleague of mine might be able to help depending on what type of lab you want to set up / lab equipment you are looking for....

I know all the details of how he set up a home lab to do plant transformation, including
building his laminar flow
building shelves
buying vortex, micropipets, micro-centrifuge, fixed angle centrifuge for 15ml conicals, BIO-RAD electroporator, BIO-RAD spectrophotometer, etc etc list goes on

Nathan is right in his comparative assessment.

It would be BEST to choose the route you take to set up a lab depending on limitations of your time, know-how and budget.

It would also help to know what part of the world you are in, not all ideas work in all contexts and geographies.

DM me with specific questions if you wish, happy to answer your questions on the open forum as well.
Better to draw wide criticism at planning stage, and use it, than regret not using corwod-sourced ideas and warnings :)

Good luck!

M Marcus

Feb 9, 2021, 1:53:46 PM2/9/21
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Please check up with those DIY guys  and other related people(not-profits).  Some do sell them, so you can also help them.
- Gaudilabs (pcr, spectrophotometer) - Highly  recommend
- public labs
- ninja pcr ( pcr, rt-pcr) - Highly recommend
- minipcr
- hacker.io and arduino forums.
- ThoughtEmporium
- ebay
Above are places to scout for and do  estimation of prices.
If one resides in the US , I think one has access to more second-hand equipment than any other country.
Setting up your first lab will teach you a lot. Patience is number one among all and perseverance the must.
Having a  counsel  with  some experience to guide you will always save  you time and money.

Best,
Marcus

--
Best
M Marcus

唐大綬

Feb 10, 2021, 8:28:36 PM2/10/21
to diy...@googlegroups.com
thanks a lot of your suggestions,and so warming and useful  e-mail you sent to me! Thanks a lot! (But, the budget is the most important thing.....emmmmm......)

Tom De Medts <tdm...@gmail.com> 於 2021年2月10日 週三 上午12:31寫道:
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/CANpz%3DfHp%3Du-BwC1LCF%2BgcT5Uzn8to4H22r1O3v_tPr%3Dwihikcg%40mail.gmail.com.

Yuriy

Feb 18, 2021, 9:25:23 PM2/18/21
to DIYbio
That's a very interesting thread especially for someone looking to branch out on their own under lockdown.
I was looking for hand held tools on sites alibaba.com.

Does anyone have any experience purchasing single channel micropipettors from there?

Dakota Hamill

Feb 18, 2021, 9:28:14 PM2/18/21
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Any biotech company or college near you or lab reseller will have
hundreds of pipettes that are perfectly good sitting in a box in a
drawer covered in dust ready for donations. eBay is also cheap source
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/700a847a-6a23-4d20-b076-8a6d5f95016cn%40googlegroups.com.

唐大綬

Feb 18, 2021, 11:45:40 PM2/18/21
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Really? Wow, just a little bit curious, why they redundant these quite expensive equipment?

Dakota Hamill <dko...@gmail.com> 於 2021年2月19日 週五 上午10:28寫道:

Nathan McCorkle

Feb 19, 2021, 3:13:21 PM2/19/21
to diybio
Because they teach many students, have many research associates.

Dakota Hamill

Feb 19, 2021, 3:46:21 PM2/19/21
to diy...@googlegroups.com
It's really easy to spend money on new lab equipment when it's not
your own money. I went to a public college and rented space from a
private college and their budgets were mandated to be spent each year,
or the money was taken back, and their budget was cut as they
obviously "didn't need it". So, they could never save over a
multi-year period for a large purchase like an LCMS or nice piece of
equipment, so they'd just buy lots of small things like vortexers,
water baths, pipettes, gel boxes, etc, to use up their budgetary
spending for the year, and it just piles up in boxes. The way the
budget was handled 100% pushed wasteful unnecessary spending, but
that's academia, at least at a public school.
> --
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
> Learn more at www.diybio.org
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/CA%2B82U9LpxKLMK%3DmVV72p%2BWtLao%2B1H%3DUEpX2SR37MR8x-j4YYCA%40mail.gmail.com.

唐大綬

Feb 21, 2021, 6:59:38 PM2/21/21
to diy...@googlegroups.com
emmm....thanks......for your reminding and suggestion!

Dakota Hamill <dko...@gmail.com> 於 2021年2月20日 週六 上午4:46寫道:

tashou

Feb 22, 2021, 2:20:47 AM2/22/21
to DIYbio
Hi, I am a molecular pathological master in Taiwan. And I think maybe I can start a small business from the production of some lab-consumption products fist to earn some founds than I can start some larger program..... What is your opinion?
BR

Tom De Medts 在 2021年2月10日 星期三上午12:31:29 [UTC+8] 的信中寫道:

John Griessen

Feb 22, 2021, 5:41:01 AM2/22/21
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On 2/22/21 1:20 AM, tashou wrote:
> I think maybe I can start a small business from the production of some lab-consumption products fist to earn some founds than I
> can start some larger program..... What is your opinion?

I've seen that lower costs for something well known is not easy to sell,
but any kind of time savings for higher prices is something people buying
lab equipment or supplies will listen to. This could be for the same reasons
Dakota mentioned about public university budgets that have to be spent or they
risk being reduced in the next year.