"Right to Repair" legislation to enable diy

Jonathan Cline

Aug 25, 2020, 3:11:13 PM8/25/20
to DIYbio
DIY/hackers should be very interested in the following work:

"Right to Repair is an issue with far-reaching impacts in the engineering community, from consumer electronics to high tech farm equipment and so on. In fact, right now in Washington, there is legislation about Right to Repair issues on the floor of Congress."

Right-to-Repair-Legislation.jpg

Dakota Hamill

Aug 25, 2020, 4:13:41 PM8/25/20
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Oh man I just dealt with this with an old Mercedes Benz Sprinter van. "Yeah you need to bring it in and use our scan tool connected to the server to clear the codes or you won't pass inspection".  Ok it'll be $4,000 to get it on the road to fix 2 glow plugs and install a Urea-heater for the winter.  We also suggest $13,600 of additional work.  The repairs are 10x the value of the van at this point. Even worse on lab equipment.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/30c2c1d9-3df2-4cc8-bf68-50a942e90228n%40googlegroups.com.