Looking for some tobacco BY-2 seeds or callus cells for BioPrinter project

Patrik D'haeseleer

Aug 28, 2014, 2:19:52 AM8/28/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Any plant biologists on the list?

We've been working with carrot cells for the BioPrinter project at BioCurious, but their slow generation time makes them a pain to work with.

Someone recommended using tobacco "Bright Yellow" cultivar BY-2 instead, because they are considered easier to maintain, regenerate and grow faster than carrot (and easier to de-regulate).

Anyone have access to some seeds they could share with us?

Thanks!

Patrik

Sebastian Cocioba

Aug 28, 2014, 2:21:18 AM8/28/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com

I have petite Havana seeds and could have induce callus if u want.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/06657a4f-b666-41c3-8a33-a252b47aaee1%40googlegroups.com.

Cory Tobin

Aug 28, 2014, 5:55:11 PM8/28/14
to diybio
I have some tobacco seeds that I'm 90% sure are BY-2. I received them
from a colleague in an envelope labeled "BY-2" and the plants have the
correct morphology. But I've never taken the time to track their
lineage so I'm not 100% confident these seeds are actually decedents
of the original BY-2 cultivar used by Kato et al.

If you'd like them, send me your address and I'll send you some seeds.

-cory

Patrik D'haeseleer

Aug 29, 2014, 3:14:21 AM8/29/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Cory - that would be excellent! We can always check if they have the generation time we'd expect from BY-2.

You can mail them to me at BioCurious:

845 Stewart Drive, Suite C Sunnyvale, CA 94085

Patrik

Cory Tobin

Aug 31, 2014, 2:20:45 AM8/31/14
to diybio
I put the seeds in the mail today. Not sure what the pickup schedule
is this weekend since it's a federal holiday. Anyways, it should show
up sometime this week.

-cory

Patrik D'haeseleer

Aug 31, 2014, 2:23:54 AM8/31/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful - thank you so much!

Patrik

Cory Tobin

Sep 2, 2014, 7:51:27 PM9/2/14
to diybio
> Wonderful - thank you so much!

No problem. If you folks ever need any other plant stuff, let me
know. Agrobacteria, plasmids, seeds, protocols, etc. I work in a
plant lab so I have access to all sorts of plant stuff. Mostly
Arabidopsis related but occasionally other species too.

As for culturing the BY2 cells, I don't have much experience with in
vitro plant tissue culture so I won't be of much help in that regard.
Sebastian can probably offer way more practical advice in that field.

-cory

Cory Tobin

Sep 16, 2014, 7:06:21 PM9/16/14
to diybio
Did you guys receive the seeds?

-cory
--
Cory Tobin
Graduate Student

Patrik D'haeseleer

Sep 17, 2014, 4:13:24 AM9/17/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Yes we got them last week - thank you so much!

Damn, these tobacco seeds are tiny. Shashank here has experience working with tobacco, so he'll be growing some seedlings for us, and then we'll take it from there with the tissue culturing.

We'll let you know what we find out. If these really grow as fast as advertised in tissue culture, they might even wind up too fast for our usual once-a-week meeting schedule for the BioPrinter group...

Patrik

Cory Tobin

Sep 17, 2014, 5:02:18 AM9/17/14
to diybio
Oh good. Yeah, those seeds are tiny. Just wait until you see some
Arabidopsis seeds which are even smaller - a few hundred micrometers
in diameter. Amazing that an entire embryo composed of hundreds of
cells can fit in there, stay like that for a decade with no nutrients
and then pop out when the conditions are right.

They should germinate in one to two weeks assuming you are keeping
them at 23-27C and in the light. Once they sprout, put them under
strong grow lights for 8-12 hours a day and you should have some happy
tobacco plants.

-cory