The Role of Hackers in the Open Innovation Process of the Pharmaceutical Industry

Christian Schulz

Dec 5, 2016, 8:55:04 AM12/5/16
to DIYbio

Dear Biohacking Community,

some of you I already had the pleasure to meet in person, some of you I just know from silently following the posts here, some of you I just know from their great work out there. So now it is time to give something back to the community: My thesis on biohacking with the title

“The role of hackers in the open innovations process of the pharmaceutical industry”

It was part of my business-chemistry studies at the University of Münster in Germany and for this purpose I spent 4 months researching at the Waag Society with great people like Pieter, Roland and Fede. Also I interviewed a few well-known biohackers on their experiences on collaboration with the pharmaceutical industry. Next to the hacker perspective I spoke with some interesting people from the industry who either already work together with hackers or looking forward to it.

The research design was explorative one as the topic at least from the management perspective is to my knowledge underexamined. I used following methods to obtain my data:

  • observation of different community events

  • questionnaire at two different biohacking beginner events

  • 7 interviews

During my research in tried to answer following research questions:

  • What are the profiles and the motivations of the people engaging in local biohacking communities?

  • What are values and assets of interest for the pharmaceutical industry in local biohacking communities?

  • How can the pharmaceutical industry engage and interact with local biohacking communities in order to internalize values and assets?

Later during my research I especially put focus on two existing collaboration between hackerspaces and biotechnology or pharmaceutical company:

  • La Paillasse and Roche France on Epidemium

  • Biologigaragen and Novozymes on Baessy

Who could be interested in this thesis? Well, everyone who wants to learn to cope with this “clash of cultures” and want to initiate collaborations with either their company or their community. But be careful as it supposedly is a “travel you might get addicted to, so that is a lesson learnt.”

In my personal opinion we need to capture the best of both worlds to solve the big problems we are facing. On the side there are the hacker communities which I admire due to their creativity, the non-conformist thinking and the maker-spirit. On the other side the pharmaceutical companies is rich in talented mind with expertise and lots of experiences in their matters. Also they can get sh** done, if they want to. Both sides should be unified in their passion and curiosity on science. Collaboration in formal or informal ways can be ways to create a sphere and network in which this can be happen. Take the antibiotic dilemma for example. We should be brothers in arms and not separately tinkering. For this to happen I think both parties have to loose a bit of their arrogance and start working to together. I hope I delivered some kind of blue print how this can be done or at least give some impulse for further thinking and research.

For questions and comments I am free to either be approached here or via mail.

Cheers

Chris

MT-Role of Hacker in Pharma Open Inno - Schulz.compressed.pdf

Markos

Dec 8, 2016, 9:40:13 AM12/8/16
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

I think it is a news related to the topic:

"Daraprim drug's key ingredient recreated by high school students in Sydney for just $20"

Source:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-30/daraprim-nsw-students-create-drug-martin-shkreli-sold/8078892

Markos
Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/291ad8ec-6a5a-4b2b-92d2-c52162923a7e%40googlegroups.com.

drllau

Mar 31, 2021, 5:04:06 AM3/31/21
to DIYbio
> "Daraprim drug's key ingredient recreated by high school students in Sydney for just $20"

It is well known the manufacturing cost of the bioactive ingredients is trivial (as Indians proved with generics) ... its the supporting data to past regulatory approval is which is expensive. Oh ... and the patent premium to cover the cost of all the failed candidates

Thomas Landrain

Mar 31, 2021, 9:13:07 AM3/31/21
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian,

Thanks a lot for sharing! I’ll read it carefully :-)
I think you are on point when saying that there is value in both worlds and that more bridges need to be drawn.

For people interested in Epidemium (Open data to fight cancer), it continues now on JOGL, with a new season starting in May.

Cheers!
Thomas

Thomas LANDRAIN
Co-Founder & CEO, JOGL.io - Just One Giant Lab
We reinvent how Science and Innovation are done in an open and inclusive world

Ambassador, iGEM Foundation
Co-Founder & former CEO, PILI
Co-Founder & former CEO, La Paillasse

Twitter: @Tholand_ @JustOneGiantLab @_PILIbio
Mobile: +33 678 37 31 36

 --
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=enLearn more at www.diybio.org