Biomedical Engineering or Computer Science Engineering

Ayush Mahajan

May 20, 2017, 4:02:38 PM5/20/17
to DIYbio
I've to choose a course now but I'm way too confused between BME and CSE? I'm excellent in coding but I'm interested to learn about this field. My only question is how difficult is it going to be for newbie to start studying about BME and is it a good idea?

Ujjwal Thaakar

May 21, 2017, 4:00:03 PM5/21/17
to DIYbio
Hi Ayush,
I'm a computer science engineer working on low-cost PCR machines in India. Are you choosing your stream for a B.Tech? Give me some more context to be able to advise you.

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

May 21, 2017, 5:02:23 PM5/21/17
to DIYbio
If you already know how to code, a course on CSE seems to be a waste. You can always learn that skills later, once you have the basic knowledge.

Obviously, it depend's on your context but I'd prefer a broader education.

John Griessen

May 21, 2017, 6:13:05 PM5/21/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On 05/20/2017 02:13 PM, Ayush Mahajan wrote:
> I'm way too confused between BME and CSE? I'm excellent in coding but I'm interested to learn about this field.

If you like biomedical, I'm with Mega -- go for broad education -- coding is really just a tool, not an end in itself. I really
enjoyed taking some biomedical engrg courses at UT. A college friend who is now a "lung man" was jealous when I told him of a lab
course I didwhere the TA implanted sensors in a live dog to do a test. If you're interested, go for what you don't know enough of
but have fire for.

I'm just now taking apart, doing a "tear down", of a diagnostic test device used on blood. Biomed devices have a nifty
combination of marketing flair in their housings, and practical stuff inside like flat flex cables, and plastic light guides
and buttons and displays etc.

If you see yourself designing machines and already are good at code, do a biomed degree with an electrical engineering degree
in parallel so you can design circuits that get experiments done for research, or tests done for bio lab or med clinic lab work.

That weird silicon valley blood test company Theranos didn't quite get their automated diagnostics miniature and auto enough
to take over the market, so there's still time for you!

Ayush Mahajan

May 23, 2017, 6:13:15 PM5/23/17
to DIYbio
Yes, I already know how to code, reverse engineer and rest of the stuff which a computer engineer can do, the thing is I want to take BioTechnology for my undergrad but I'm scared because I've never been good with the theory part.I'm interested in coding genome, hacking the wetware and everything Biohacker could do but every time I think about Biotech a voice whispers me in my head saying "Would you be able to do it ?"

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

May 25, 2017, 5:03:01 AM5/25/17
to DIYbio
Tell the voice in your head to shut up, a lot of people that are less intelligent than you have done it already ;)

It may seem scary at the beginning, but there's a system behind it. And once you see the matrix behind the things, everything makes sense and you know what you need to look up when you get there.
There will be lab exercises, it's not just theory?

Me personally, I have had occasions where I wouldn't understand something in detail in a lecture, specifically in no-biotech subjects. But then you either do it in the lab - or just google around connected areas and applications and downstream processes and everything makes sense and the theory is stuck in your head. I never liked learning a row of words in the correct order, I would need to see what the purpose of  "Process X" is and how I can use it, to incentivize my brain to store the info

John Griessen

May 25, 2017, 5:28:41 AM5/25/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On 05/25/2017 04:03 AM, Mega [Andreas Stuermer] wrote:
> Tell the voice in your head to shut up, a lot of people that are less intelligent than you have done it already ;)

Repeating an offlist email:
On 05/24/2017 12:43 PM, Ayush Mahajan wrote:
> thanks, I'm thinking to get Biotech as minor and CSE as majors would
> this help me overcome my fear?

Only you know your fears very well. Others have their own fears.

Sometimes fear can be F.E.A.R. ==> False Evidence Appearing Real.

Finding people doing what you are interested in and asking them how they do it
will dispel any groundless fears, or show you that they do some things
that you are not good at yet, or are avoiding, or maybe even involve fears you have.

Biomedical Engineering channels one into working for companies that get
their designs qualified for medical use, which can be laborious and costly,
especially in the US.

Studying biotech, while also getting a degree in CS
will help you find work outside the medical field. But both are fairly broad,
not guaranteeing any particular kind of work...

Always be thinking of what work is going to be like, and will you like that,
and ask people that are getting experience again and again what that is like.

also think a lot about what the world needs that you can deliver, or you and some
others can deliver...

If you don't enjoy following others orders like me, that means
learning how to run businesses, and how to get some dirt/land/buildings owned or long term leased
to operate on, so you can do your own thing manufacturing-wise.

Nathan McCorkle

May 25, 2017, 10:59:20 AM5/25/17
to diybio
On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 2:37 PM, Ayush Mahajan <blue...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I already know how to code, reverse engineer and rest of the stuff
> which a computer engineer can do, the thing is I want to take BioTechnology
> for my undergrad but I'm scared because I've never been good with the theory
> part.I'm interested in coding genome, hacking the wetware and everything
> Biohacker could do but every time I think about Biotech a voice whispers me
> in my head saying "Would you be able to do it ?"

Sounds like I had a similar experience with being good at coding when
I chose a school, but wanting more. The cooler stuff. I've not heard
of computer related protests as much as I have about biotech. Light a
candle and shed some light on the darkness.

Biotech /school/ is mostly just fancy cooking, and learning the theory
is too much to remember for the average student. The 'computer'
processes of life are lots controlled chemical reactions. You don't
need to be so smart as a chemistry major, or a chemical engineer...
biotech has less math requirements than they do. Biotech also has less
math requirements than Computer Science.

Humans engineered electronic computers taught in Computer Science. It
has been around (in text/print/books) for a long time.
Biotech is about reverse-engineering innumerable systems we didn't
engineer. It is like CS for the stuff we didn't engineer.

We are reverse engineering ourselves and all the other species. We are
reverse engineering chemistry, and thus physics.

I know a little about Indian school systems, and if that's where
you're heading towards, you won't have much room to explore
side-studies in your school. The academic programs are very structured
and have strict/tight timelines.

I'd recommend studying biotech, simply because the hands-on and theory
is a lot wider ranging in topic than CS will give you. Also, you can
learn CS at pretty much any hackerspace, free online courses, reading
self-teach books, etc... It is more like 'common knowledge' than
biotech and chemistry/physics. For CS you need electricity and some
relatively common and cheap electronics gizmos. Biotech/lab-science
involves a lot of heavy (mass-wise) stuff, has lots of steps that take
a long time and require a special cook and special kitchen. You can
compile code anywhere your laptop has charge... not as easy to say the
same about a really complex Biotech project.

You can do it. There were many underperforming Biotech students who
received better grades than I did. It's all in how you play the game.
You won't be an underperformer. I know because you're already
self-motivated enough to come post on this online forum. Most students
lack self-motivation. Keep your motivation. It is what keeps you going
in the face of being penniless and without a job. It is a strong
driver of innovation.

All the best,
-Nathan

Ayush Mahajan

May 28, 2017, 2:36:07 PM5/28/17
to DIYbio
Which country which would be affordable to study Bioengineering ?

Ayush Mahajan

May 28, 2017, 2:36:22 PM5/28/17
to DIYbio
Which country which would be affordable to study Bioengineering ?

Ayush Mahajan

May 28, 2017, 2:36:45 PM5/28/17
to DIYbio
Which country would be affordable to study Bioengineering ?

John Griessen

May 28, 2017, 6:42:27 PM5/28/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On 05/28/2017 01:36 PM, Ayush Mahajan wrote:
> Which country would be affordable to study Bioengineering ?
The USA is not very easy to afford anymore. Don't know about others very much.

There seem to be researchers doing things in Singapore. India is bound to be good.
Taiwan might be good. What is school costing in Australia these days?

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

May 30, 2017, 9:06:25 AM5/30/17
to DIYbio
I think lots of international students go to Germany and Austria, who have hardly any study fees at all. But then, if you want a job or change the world, you'll have to go back to the US, the only country where your genetically enhanced plants/bacteria will ever be allowed outside labs. And still it takes a lot of time there to get approval

Ayush Mahajan

Jun 11, 2017, 1:11:40 AM6/11/17
to diy...@googlegroups.com
What would you suggest Nottingham Trent university or University of Bolton ?

On 30 May 2017 at 18:36, Mega [Andreas Stuermer]