Round 3268 HARMAN Defs - Vote Now!

Tim Lodge

Jul 21, 2022, 6:35:40 AM7/21/22
to Dixonary

Here we have 10 defs of the word HARMAN, only one of which comes from my dictionary.  There are some great inventions here - I hope I've managed to get the text decorations as you wished them.  Please vote for your two favourites by public reply to this message before the deadline, which is:

        09:00 UTC/GMT on Saturday 23rd July
        10:00 BST in London
        11:00 CET in France and the Netherlands
         5:00 AM EDT in New York
         2:00 AM PDT in California
        21:00 NZST in New Zealand

New players are welcome - just don't look up the word until after you've voted.

--  Tim L

*** HARMAN ***

1.  an obnoxious or despicable male.

 2.  Ox or horse drawn two-wheeled vehicle.

 3.  A style of swaddling blanket for newborns.

 4.  (Gr. Antiq.) A heavy-armed infantry soldier.

 5.  A smuggler (esp of sheep, from England to France).

 6.  a type of wooden saddle used by Spaniards in the 14th and 15th centuries.

 7.   1. plural harmans, the stocks. 2. Short for harman-beck n.: A constable.

 8.  [rural Scot.  obs.] a secondary officer of the law who can take evidence in cases of straying animals etc. Usually used negatively as in the phrase dinna tell the harman  [from hardman]

 9.  Thought to be a threshing floor, known only from the medieval verse "Twenty turns ye harman round / Cavil, cavil all ye horses" found with an illustration of same in a copy of "The Owl and the Nightingale" (c. 1200, author unk.)

10.  ermine [OF (h)ermine infl. by eME harma < OE hearma ‘dormouse, ferret, stoat, weasel’; remoter etymology disputed, but both poss. ult. from PIE *kʹormōn represented by OHG harmo and Lithuanian szermu̇]

Judy Madnick

Jul 21, 2022, 7:32:53 AM7/21/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

4.  (Gr. Antiq.) A heavy-armed infantry soldier.

5.  A smuggler (esp of sheep, from England to France).

for me today.

Judy Madnick

France International/Mike Shefler

Jul 21, 2022, 9:24:22 AM7/21/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll fall for 2 and 7.

Chowie

Jul 21, 2022, 9:35:51 AM7/21/22
to Dixonary
I'm with Judy on this one. 4 and 5 please.

Berger, Deborah

Jul 21, 2022, 10:09:29 AM7/21/22
to Dixonary
8 and 9.   If I had 3 votes, I'd go for 10, all just for creativity - beautiful!

Deborah Fein, Ph.D.
UConn Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor
Department of Psychological Sciences
Department of Pediatrics
University of Connecticut
debora...@uconn.edu

Jul 21, 2022, 1:58:50 PM7/21/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I vote for 7 and 9.

Efrem Mallach

Shani Naylor

Jul 22, 2022, 1:34:05 AM7/22/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll vote 7 & 8 as being very vaguely similar.

John Barrs

Jul 22, 2022, 5:02:07 AM7/22/22
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
#6 and #7 please

Daniel B Widdis

Jul 22, 2022, 12:20:32 PM7/22/22
to Dixonary

A 5 might find themselves in the 7.

Tim Lodge

Jul 23, 2022, 9:15:21 AM7/23/22
to Dixonary
Sorry for the delay - real life has intervened. I should be able to post the results in about an hour's time.

-- Tim L