Round 3025 vote for QVEVRI

Mike Shefler

Nov 3, 2019, 10:49:45 AM11/3/19
to Dixonary
Here are 14 definitions for QVEVRI, one of which came from the dictionary
Vote for your two favorites no later than 5 PM EST, Monday, November 4.

1.  [Old English] quiver.

2.  [Khoekhoe] a hunting spear used by Kalahari bushmen.

3.  the act of disentangling oneself from a difficult situation.

4.  an unexpected solution to a problem.

5.  a European oak, _Qvervus petraea_, yielding a heavy, elastic wood
used for furniture and in the construction of buildings.

6.  a large, aquatic, Australian lizard, allied to the monitors.

7.  the Incan goddess of the harvest.

8.  [Pash.]  the opium poppy.

9.  an Ü-Tsang dialect spoken also in part of Kham, a form of the Tibetic
languages that has many commonalities with Standard Tibetan, the
official language of the Chinese Autonomous Region of Tibet.

10.  large earthenware vessels used for the fermentation, storage and
ageing of traditional Georgian wine

11.  the cloudberry or knoutberry,  a low, single stemmed, single flowered
raspberry. [Alaskan Inupiaq - where it is also called AQPIK]

12.  an ancient irrigation system consisting of a tunnel dug at a very
slight upward gradient into rising ground so that water from deep
within the earth runs out to the surface.

13.  a kind of liturgical melody common in Turkish worship in the late
Middle Ages.

14.  a large lake on the border of the municipalities of Alta, Kautokeino,
and Karasjok in Finnmark county, Norway.

Judy Madnick

Nov 3, 2019, 1:11:34 PM11/3/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
For no good reason whatsoever:

5.  a European oak, _Qvervus petraea, yielding a heavy, elastic wood used for furniture and in the construction of buildings.

12.  an ancient irrigation system consisting of a tunnel dug at a very slight upward gradient into rising ground so that water from deep within the earth runs out to the surface.

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

Debbie

Nov 3, 2019, 3:17:50 PM11/3/19
to Dixonary
4 and 10 please

Tim Lodge

Nov 3, 2019, 4:24:13 PM11/3/19
to Dixonary
Difficult choice!  I'll try 10 and 12.

10.  large earthenware vessels used for the fermentation, storage and ageing of traditional Georgian wine.

12.  an ancient irrigation system consisting of a tunnel dug at a very slight upward gradient into rising ground so that water from deep within the earth runs out to the surface.

--  Tim L

Dave Cunningham

Nov 3, 2019, 4:25:42 PM11/3/19
to Dixonary
9 and 12 solely on length. All of them are fake.

Dave

Efrem G Mallach

Nov 3, 2019, 7:20:50 PM11/3/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Doesn't seem English, which eliminates some, and I don't think Mike would deal a proper noun ... Of those that remain, 7 and 9.

Efrem

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

On Nov 3, 2019, at 10:49 AM, Mike Shefler <sta...@salsgiver.com> wrote:

Here are 14 definitions for QVEVRI, one of which came from the dictionary
Vote for your two favorites no later than 5 PM EST, Monday, November 4.

7.  the Incan goddess of the harvest.

Shani Naylor

Nov 3, 2019, 8:03:37 PM11/3/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
4 & 10 for me, having not a clue...

nancygoat

Nov 3, 2019, 10:40:19 PM11/3/19
to Dixonary
I'll take 5 and double it for 10.

Nancy

Daniel B Widdis

Nov 4, 2019, 1:19:54 AM11/4/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

10 and 12 please

Ryan McGill

Nov 4, 2019, 3:52:37 PM11/4/19
to Dixonary
We have a rather low vote count for now. I'll go with the oddly uncombined 3 and with 8, as it seems to be similar in form to middle-eastern languages.

3.  the act of disentangling oneself from a difficult situation.

Tony Abell

Nov 5, 2019, 5:20:10 PM11/5/19
to Mike Shefler

I'll take 2 and 3 for no particular reasons: