Round 3179 vote for POVIE

Mike Shefler

Jul 4, 2021, 12:21:56 PM7/4/21
to Dixonary
Here are 11 fanciful, fabulous and fictional definitions for POVIE. One of them is real.
Vote for your two favorites no later than 10 AM EDT, Tuesday, July 6.

1.  the spart; also called povie herring.

2.  [Scouse] a beggar; a vagrant.

3.  [Scot.] a punch in the face.

4.  [Quebec] a toast “pour vie”. (“For life”)

5.  a short tunic with baggy knickerbockers worn by girls for athletic
activities in the 1880s [introduced by social reformer Netty Povie
(1848-1934) as part of the rational dress movement]

6.  style of filmmaking in which most scenes are shot from the
perspective of the main character, and the audience sees only what
the character sees.

7.  a derogatory term for a 'gay' movie.

8.  [Scot.] snug; comfortable; well-off.

9.  a polymer used as a vehicle for a drug, especially iodine.

10.  a pet name or term of endearment.

11.  [Scottish and English regional (north-eastern)] 1. n. a look; a peep.
2. v. transitive. to see (a person or thing); to look at, observe.
Also intransitive: to look, peep.

Efrem G Mallach

Jul 4, 2021, 12:56:13 PM7/4/21
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
Dang! I knew there was something I was supposed to do earlier this morning ...

I'll vote anyhow, though. #6 is related to the fake I was going to send in, though I was going to say it's the filmmaker, so it gets one of my votes. And #11, because why not.

Efrem

On Jul 4, 2021, at 12:21 PM, 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Here are 11 fanciful, fabulous and fictional definitions for POVIE. One of them is real.
Vote for your two favorites no later than 10 AM EDT, Tuesday, July 6.

6.  style of filmmaking in which most scenes are shot from the perspective of the main character, and the audience sees only what the character sees.

Judy Madnick

Jul 4, 2021, 12:58:48 PM7/4/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
3.  [Scot.] a punch in the face.
and
8.  [Scot.] snug; comfortable; well-off.

for me today.

Happy Fourth of July for those celebrating!

Judy Madnick

Debbie Embler

Jul 4, 2021, 1:02:02 PM7/4/21
to Dixonary
8 and 2 for me.

Happy Independence Day!

Paul Keating

Jul 4, 2021, 1:08:50 PM7/4/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
1 and 6 for me.

--
Paul Keating
Soustons, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France

Johnb - co.uk

Jul 4, 2021, 1:49:31 PM7/4/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
#3 and #8 for me please
JohnnyB

Tim B

Jul 4, 2021, 2:54:46 PM7/4/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
4 and 6, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Fein, Deborah

Jul 4, 2021, 4:31:53 PM7/4/21
to Dixonary
2 and 8 for me as well.

Jul 4, 2021, 4:35:30 PM7/4/21
to Dixonary

I don’t know what [Scouse] etymology is, so I’ll award whoever applied some regional dialect somewhere to a believable def.  And I like rational dresses.  2 and 5 please.

I didn’t read any further in the list than that, probably missing the real one.

Paul Keating

Jul 4, 2021, 4:43:49 PM7/4/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Scouse means the English of Liverpool, so called because the inhabitants are held to eat Iobscouse, a kind of sailors' stew. Both words are of course derogatory.

Tony Abell

Jul 4, 2021, 5:58:13 PM7/4/21
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary

I'll try 3 and 6:

> 3. [Scot.] a punch in the face.

Tim Lodge

Jul 4, 2021, 6:17:27 PM7/4/21
to Dixonary
I'll go for two of the Scots: 8 and 11.

           8.  [Scot.] snug; comfortable; well-off.

          11.  [Scottish and English regional (north-eastern)] 1. n. a look; a peep. 2. v. transitive. to see (a person or thing); to look at, observe.Also intransitive: to look, peep.

-- Tim L

Shani Naylor

Jul 5, 2021, 1:51:21 AM7/5/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
My father was from Liverpool, so I'll vote for #2, along with the popular #6.

2.  [Scouse] a beggar; a vagrant.

6.  style of filmmaking in which most scenes are shot from the

perspective of the main character, and the audience sees only what

the character sees.

amal...@comcast.net

Jul 5, 2021, 7:55:16 AM7/5/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

One can learn a lot from these definitions. Last time I learned about spitting cucumbers, and once this round is over, I plan to look up the rational dress movement (who knew?).

On the assumption that in ‘spart’ is a typo for ‘sprat’, I’ll vote for #1 and #8.

Alan

Jul 6, 2021, 12:00:03 AM7/6/21
to Dixonary
I'll take 8 and 11.  Got to vote for the Northeast England one.  I wore my Yorkshire hat today.  I was summat!

Hero’s fall Cunningham

Jul 6, 2021, 7:12:18 AM7/6/21
to Dixonary
3 and 11 this time. Almost chose 2 though ...

Dave