Round 3183 - time to vote for POWIE

Mike Shefler

Jul 19, 2021, 11:09:08 AM7/19/21
to Dixonary
Here are 11 definitions of POWIE, one of which came from a respectable dictionary.
Vote for your 2 favorites no later then 4 PM EDT, Tuesday, July 20.

1.  [Scots] empty.

2.  [Scot.]  a postman.

3.  (Ireland) one who avoids reciprocating on buying a round of drinks; a
cheapskate .

4.  (Po’-vi-e) – a Polish local government official, similar to a county
administrator or manager in the United States.

5.  rat-bite fever.

6.  a young turkey.

7.  [Obs.] to destroy.

8.  a large legendary manlike or apelike creature alleged to inhabit the
Australian outback.

9.  [Aust. colloq.] a foot; a footprint.

10.  [slang] a short revealing statement that appears otherwise to be out
of context.

11.  two or more flat-bottomed drag stones placed in a circular pit paved
with flat stones, and connected to a center post by a long arm for
milling.

Judy Madnick

Jul 19, 2021, 11:13:34 AM7/19/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll waste my votes on these:

2.  [Scot.]  a postman.
    and
4.  (Po’-vi-e) – a Polish local government official, similar to a county
administrator or manager in the United States.

Judy Madnick

Paul Keating

Jul 19, 2021, 11:18:19 AM7/19/21
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
Of the three manlike creatures, 2, 4 and 8, I'll go for the first and last: 2 and 8

Regards

--
Paul Keating
Soustons, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France

Johnb - co.uk

Jul 19, 2021, 1:23:43 PM7/19/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
#1 and #9 please
JohnnyB

Fein, Deborah

Jul 19, 2021, 4:37:15 PM7/19/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Love them all! I'll take 4 and 8, please.

Deborah Fein, Ph.D.
UConn Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor
Department of Psychological Sciences
Department of Pediatrics
University of Connecticut
debora...@uconn.edu

I'll try the land of my grandparents: 8 and 9, please.

           8.  a large legendary manlike or apelike creature alleged to inhabit the Australian outback.

           9.  [Aust. colloq.] a foot; a footprint.

--  Tim L

Debbie Embler

Jul 19, 2021, 6:37:53 PM7/19/21
to Dixonary
5 and 6 please for the excitement

Daniel B Widdis

Jul 19, 2021, 8:55:33 PM7/19/21
to Dixonary

3 deserves a word for it, so why not powie?

And I’m not sure I understand what 11 is describing but I believe it.

Tim B

Jul 20, 2021, 4:49:31 AM7/20/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I really don't believe any of them, but let's try 7 and 8, please.
Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Shani Naylor

Jul 20, 2021, 5:26:53 AM7/20/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
They all seem equally unlikely. I'll vote 1 & 8.

1.  [Scots] empty.

8.  a large legendary manlike or apelike creature alleged to inhabit the

Australian outback.

Tony Abell

Jul 20, 2021, 10:02:51 AM7/20/21
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary

I'll try 1 and 6:

> 1. [Scots] empty.

> 6. a young turkey.

Efrem G Mallach

Jul 20, 2021, 10:39:29 AM7/20/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Once again, I'll try the two weirdest-sounding ones: 4 and 11. (That strategy didn't work the last time I used it, but still.)

Efrem

On Jul 19, 2021, at 11:09 AM, 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Here are 11 definitions of POWIE, one of which came from a respectable dictionary.
Vote for your 2 favorites no later then 4 PM EDT, Tuesday, July 20.

4.  (Po’-vi-e) – a Polish local government official, similar to a county administrator or manager in the United States.

amal...@comcast.net

Jul 20, 2021, 11:34:44 AM7/20/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Once again, I have my doubts. But it could be, although it probably isn’t, Scots or Aussie.

So I’ll vote for 2 or 9.

Alan

Here are 11 definitions of POWIE, one of which came from a respectable dictionary.