Rnd 3134 CUTTANEE - votes please

Johnb - co.uk

Jan 14, 2021, 5:02:57 AM1/14/21
to Dixonarians
Drear all

here are 13 defs for CUTTANEE please use whatever method you like to chose 2 of them: one comes from a dictionary the others are the results of your inimitable thought processes

Please Vote over the next 36 hours: so the deadline is 10 pm (2200) GMT Jan 15 and as appropriate elsewhere in the world
--
JohnnyB

1              rounded by glacial action into a shape likened to a sheep's back

2              [Nautical] a block having a hole in one side to receive the bight of a rope

3              Apparently a former Hindu funerary rite

4              a crude double-headed polearm with a blunted spearhead at one end and a gisarme or war-scythe at the other

5              a fordable river crossing [Pawnee]

6              a fine heavy and stout silk and cotton satin of East India, used for quilts and upholstery.

7              a single-masted settee used by Arab traders in the 15th and 16th centuries

8              a lady. Also used as a title of courtesy. [Persian]

9              (West Indies, 19th cent.) A fast dance characterized by jumping and slashing movements, associated with the sugar cane harvest

10              a short clay pipe

11              a homespun cotton fabric woven in the Indian subcontinent

12              (Zool.) (a) The sauger. (b) The lizard fish

13              a method for transferring designs onto fabrics using a fine powder, made from ground charcoal, chalk dust or powdered crayfish shell, which is dusted over a stencil to transfer a design to an underlying surface

Paul Keating

Jan 14, 2021, 5:24:11 AM1/14/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
3 & 11 for me.

Tim B

Jan 14, 2021, 6:53:16 AM1/14/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I love the idea of sailing around on a settee, but no, it will have to be 3 and 10, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Judy Madnick

Jan 14, 2021, 8:57:35 AM1/14/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
6 and 11 (in an effort to spread out the votes!).

Judy Madnick

Jan 14, 2021, 10:57:10 AM1/14/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go for 3 and 12.\\--Mike

ALAN MALLACH

Jan 14, 2021, 11:14:09 AM1/14/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Johnny - I too love the image of Arab merchants sailing the Indian on a couch. One wouldn't think it would be very seaworthy.
That said, I like the Indian fabrics, so I'll go with 6, and for variety 13.
Alan

Fein, Deborah

Jan 14, 2021, 12:24:33 PM1/14/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
No clue. I'll go with 5 and 11.  Deb

Deborah Fein, Ph.D.
UConn Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor
Department of Psychological Sciences
Department of Pediatrics
University of Connecticut
debora...@uconn.edu

> 3 Apparently a former Hindu funerary rite

nancygoat

Jan 14, 2021, 4:10:21 PM1/14/21
to Dixonary
I'll take 8 and the popular 11.  Might as well pile on.

Nancy

Tim Lodge

Jan 14, 2021, 5:59:49 PM1/14/21
to Dixonary
I'll try 3 and 12.

          3              Apparently a former Hindu funerary rite

        12              (Zool.) (a) The sauger. (b) The lizard fish

--  Tim L

Ryan McGill

Jan 14, 2021, 7:46:45 PM1/14/21
to Dixonary
2 & the popular but as yet unpicked 7

Shani Naylor

Jan 14, 2021, 8:05:34 PM1/14/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Fabric for me: 6 & 11

Hero’s fall Cunningham

Jan 14, 2021, 8:52:23 PM1/14/21
to Dixonary

6 and 9 as creative

Dave

Efrem G Mallach

Jan 14, 2021, 9:21:45 PM1/14/21
to 'France International/Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
6 and 10 for me.

Efrem

========================

On Jan 14, 2021, at 5:02 AM, Johnb - co.uk <jo...@john-barrs.co.uk> wrote:

Drear all

here are 13 defs for CUTTANEE please use whatever method you like to chose 2 of them: one comes from a dictionary the others are the results of your inimitable thought processes

Please Vote over the next 36 hours: so the deadline is 10 pm (2200) GMT Jan 15 and as appropriate elsewhere in the world
--
JohnnyB

6              a fine heavy and stout silk and cotton satin of East India, used for quilts and upholstery.

Daniel B Widdis

Jan 15, 2021, 3:16:46 AM1/15/21
to Dixonary

Definitely voting for 13 for the choice of spelling of ‘crayfish’.  Staying on the fabric theme leads to 6 or 11, and I may as well pile on to the latter one with vox pop.

So 11 and 13 please.

Johnb - co.uk

Jan 15, 2021, 3:55:37 AM1/15/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Point of Info

how do you-all over the pond spell 'crayfish'?

I feel I can ask because all who submitted have now voted so I am about to close the game for this round

JohnnyB

Paul Keating

Jan 15, 2021, 4:04:24 AM1/15/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
The commoner form is crawfish, though as with all common names for seafood, what it applies to is also dependent on region.

Daniel B Widdis

Jan 15, 2021, 4:12:43 AM1/15/21
to Dixonary

My wife is from New Orleans, where the crawfish is the official state crustacean, and the creature is deeply embedded in Cajun history.  I think they are the authority on the matter and I thus use the more Southern U.S. “craw-“ spelling.

“Cray-“ is for northerners who don’t eat enough of it to have any standing whatsoever in defending their incorrect spelling, despite the fact that Wikipedia prefers it.

I did try to get personalized MUDBUG license plates when I had a VW Beetle, but someone else beat me to it.

From: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Paul Keating <dixo...@boargules.com>

Date: Friday, January 15, 2021 at 1:04 AM
To: Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com>

Ryan McGill

Jan 15, 2021, 1:59:43 PM1/15/21
to Dixonary
Johnny,

I don't think of it as a spelling thing. Primarily because they're pronounced differently. If they're spelled differently and pronounced differently, I'm confident in positing that they're two different words, despite referring to the same creature. I'm trying to think of another example, but I've got a massive headache and can't think of much at the moment.

Around here, I've mostly heard common folk call them "crawdads", ad sometimes "crawdaddies". "Crawfish" is less common here, but not unusual. I've only heard "crayfish" a very few times, and it wasn't local, so I don't rightly know where that's used. You can find them all over the rivers here, but cuisine-wise, you mostly find them in Asian restaurants, where they're listed as "crawfish". The soul food restaurants don't keep them around much, but the sushi joint up the street from my house has a really tasty roll where they're quite prominent, and at least one of the Asian buffets has them boiled regularly. They're occasionally available in grocery stores around here, too.

For reference, I'm in a part of the US's Pacific Northwest where our regionalisms seem heavily influenced by the midwest, as that's where most of the settlers here came from in the early 1900s. Parts of my family were here as early as the late 1800s, but much of them made their way West in my great-grandparents' generation. My dad's family came here in the '60s from Illinois by way of the Mojave via Route 66. And there have been many transplants from California since. (My grandpa McGill intended to settle in Oregon since working in the high desert here in the CCCs back in the '30s, but he and grandma kept having kids, and since they were from a family of poor farmhands, the migration ended up taking a good 2 ½ decades.) Everyone on both sides of my family calls them crawdads conversationally. Unless they're calling them crawdaddies.

I hope that wasn't too much of an info dump. Enjoy!

Ryan

Debbie

Jan 15, 2021, 2:03:57 PM1/15/21
to Dixonary
They are crawdads in the South also.

Shani Naylor

Jan 15, 2021, 2:39:39 PM1/15/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
We call them crayfish in New Zealand, but I've just looked on Wikipedia and it says crayfish (and crawdads etc) are freshwater crustaceans so maybe what we have here are in fact lobsters.