Round 3142: [Call for Votes] PUANT

Paul Keating

Feb 12, 2021, 6:57:20 AM2/12/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I don’t know if it was the word that appealed to players’ imaginations, or a better choice of deadline, but here are no less than 15 definitions of puant for your appraisal.

  1.        The soft rubbery layer of horn that forms the deciduous hoof capsule of fetuses and foals.
  2.        A small wild goose that breeds in Arctic regions and has a black neck and head.
  3.        Obs. Br. slang.
 powerful, mighty. [prob. Fr. puissant]
  4.        Of, or having, a very dark blue color, almost black.
  5.        A bankrupt; hence gen.
 one in debt; a beggar.
  6.        Dismissive, contemptuous.
  7.        Juicy, succulent.
  8.        Squatting.
  9.        Rotten; fetid.
 10.        Stern; unyielding; dour.
 11.        Tending to urinate frequently.
 12.        Sitting astride a saw-horse (children’s game). [Fr.]
 13.        Obs.
 Weak and powerless; the opposite of puissant.
 14.        An inorganic chemical in acrylic spray paint which prevents clogging.
 15.        Obs.
 Having an offensive smell, stinking; (figurative) loathsome, contemptible.

Please vote for two of them, by the deadline, which is 13h00 CET on Valentine’s Day, Sunday 14 February, or just over 48 hours from time of posting; other times for other places
here.

--
Paul Keating
Soustons, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France

Judy Madnick

Feb 12, 2021, 8:18:08 AM2/12/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
  3.        Obs. Br. slang. powerful, mighty. [prob. Fr. puissant]
    and
 13.        Obs. Weak and powerless; the opposite of puissant.

Judy Madnick
Slingerlands, NY

Tim Lodge

Feb 12, 2021, 8:26:23 AM2/12/21
to Dixonary
I'm going for 5 and 12:

         5.        A bankrupt; hence gen. one in debt; a beggar.

       12.        Sitting astride a saw-horse (children’s game). [Fr.]

--  Tim L

ALAN MALLACH

Feb 12, 2021, 9:07:29 AM2/12/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Paul - I'll go with 7 and 9.
Best,
Alan

Johnb - co.uk

Feb 12, 2021, 9:34:13 AM2/12/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go first and last - #1 and #15
JohnnyB

France International/Mike Shefler

Feb 12, 2021, 9:54:49 AM2/12/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
9 and 15 as being similar.

--Mike

Daniel B Widdis

Feb 12, 2021, 11:21:25 AM2/12/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Mike. 9 would be 15 and I would say P.U. !

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 12, 2021, at 6:54 AM, 'France International/Mike Shefler' via Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> 9 and 15 as being similar.
>
> --Mike

Tim B

Feb 12, 2021, 1:17:56 PM2/12/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
7 and 10, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Debbie

Feb 12, 2021, 1:34:49 PM2/12/21
to Dixonary
6 or 4 please

Hero’s fall Cunningham

Feb 12, 2021, 1:40:26 PM2/12/21
to Dixonary
3 and 15 this time out.

Dave

Efrem G Mallach

Feb 12, 2021, 1:47:10 PM2/12/21
to 'France International/Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
Since the real definition - the sister or sister-in-law of a teddy bear's parent - isn't in the list, I'll join the 9-15 crowd,

Efrem

========================

On Feb 12, 2021, at 6:57 AM, Paul Keating <dixo...@boargules.com> wrote:

I don’t know if it was the word that appealed to players’ imaginations, or a better choice of deadline, but here are no less than 15 definitions of puant for your appraisal.

  9.        Rotten; fetid.

Paul Keating

Feb 12, 2021, 2:13:38 PM2/12/21
to Efrem G Mallach
<chortle>

2021-02-12 19:47

France International/Mike Shefler

Feb 12, 2021, 2:21:06 PM2/12/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Not true. The puant is a close relative of the dung beetle.

--Mike

Stephen Dixon

Feb 12, 2021, 2:22:38 PM2/12/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Not that’s funny!

--

Steve  Dixon

      -- "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool."  ~Anonymous

Shani Naylor

Feb 12, 2021, 9:40:23 PM2/12/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
4 & 15 for me.

Tony Abell

Feb 13, 2021, 8:59:13 AM2/13/21
to Paul Keating

I'll take 1 and 15:

> 1. The soft rubbery layer of horn that forms the deciduous hoof capsule of fetuses and foals.

Fein, Deborah

Feb 13, 2021, 11:47:31 AM2/13/21
to Dixonary
9 and 15 please

Deborah Fein, Ph.D.
UConn Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor
Department of Psychological Sciences
Department of Pediatrics
University of Connecticut
debora...@uconn.edu