Round 3035 replacement word, KAKORRHAPHIOPHOBIA

Ryan McGill

Dec 13, 2019, 12:14:58 PM12/13/19
to Dixonary
Having hit a magic 4 DQs, I am forced to withdraw the delightful winklepicker, which are a sort of pointed-toed shoe, of which a few of you have owned a pair.

Unfortunately, rather a lot of you had fashioned your definitions to the word (also quite delightfully, I might add—anyone wanting to play a non-scoring round from those definitions, I would be open to it), and our replacement word is very different.

That word—should you all choose to accept it—is

KAKORRHAPHIOPHOBIA.

Your job is to send an email with a single fabricated or otherwise falsified definition to ryanm...@gmail.com before the deadline, for which, please see below. Whether your definition is plausible or not is up to you. New players are welcome to send definitions as well, as are old players. For best results, please include the round number and word in your subject line.

If you're already DQ, please let me know ASAP so I can switch words without having to adjust the deadline.

As many of you will likely have to re-craft your definitions, I'm extending the deadline to 02:00, Sunday, 15 December. Please adjust for your time zone as needed. (I use https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/timezone/utc) You should have around 40 hours as of the time of this posting.

Be well, friends!

Ryan

Ryan McGill

Dec 13, 2019, 3:30:44 PM12/13/19
to Dixonary
I've received notice that I deleted the time zone whet putting up a replacement word. the time zone given is for UTC, or universal time.

UTC is based on that Anglocentric standard, GMT, though I think they vary on occasion. Nonetheless, the link provided will supply you with current UTC time. https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/timezone/utc

Cheers,
Rx.

Tim B

Dec 13, 2019, 3:58:07 PM12/13/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Fear of mispronouncing or misspelling long words. [nad]

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Stephen Dixon

Dec 13, 2019, 4:08:59 PM12/13/19
to Dixonary Group
Fear of too many DQs.  (NAD)

Stephen Dixon
email: steved...@gmail.com

With the right music, you either forget everything...OR, you remember everything.

Ryan McGill

Dec 13, 2019, 5:21:31 PM12/13/19
to Dixonary
Both of those definitely apply to me this round.

On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 1:08:59 PM UTC-8, Steve Dixon wrote:
Fear of too many DQs.  (NAD)

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 12:15 PM Ryan McGill <ryanm...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Benj. Evans

Dec 13, 2019, 6:52:57 PM12/13/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
How does a nonscoring round work? I am curious to see other definitions for winklepicker, but I do not know what a nonscoring round entails.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/93dbf29b-7093-40b3-9514-addb5d17d459%40googlegroups.com.

Ryan McGill

Dec 13, 2019, 7:39:31 PM12/13/19
to Dixonary
I haven't seen one before. But I think I may have cheated everyone out of the opportunity by revealing the actual definition. There were some real fun fakes, anyway. But I'm sure the phobia will cover that base nicely as well.

Benj. Evans

Dec 13, 2019, 8:27:02 PM12/13/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Well, I'll post my def for winklepicker. I would like to see more, so if others would do the same that'd be fun.

Here's my def for winklepicker: (also twinklepicker) a person who wishes upon a star; a stargazer

Efrem G Mallach

Dec 13, 2019, 9:54:19 PM12/13/19
to Dixonary
Mine was:

WINKLEPICKER: A person who attends functions at which food is provided, such as weddings, without invitation.

Efrem

==============================

Daniel B Widdis

Dec 13, 2019, 10:28:42 PM12/13/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
We all say what we would have voted for and someone gets bragging rights but it doesn’t count.

I’m in favor.  I liked my def.

Sent from my iPhone

France International/Mike Shefler

Dec 13, 2019, 11:30:34 PM12/13/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Here's mine:

a seller of oysters, mussels and other shellfish (cf. cocklemonger).

--Mike

Daniel B Widdis

Dec 13, 2019, 11:32:47 PM12/13/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I offered a hint at the Winklevoss twins:

a venture capitalist who has successfully invested in multiple unicorns.

Johnb - co.uk

Dec 14, 2019, 5:26:11 AM12/14/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

here was mine

WINKLEPICKER: [Milit slang] a bayonet

JohnnyB

Tim B

Dec 14, 2019, 6:46:47 AM12/14/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
> Well, I'll post my def for winklepicker. I would like to see more, so if others would do the same
> that'd be fun.

Mine was:

Cockney term for a safety-pin, so called because of their use for extracting shellfish flesh from
the shell.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.