Question

Judy Madnick

Nov 17, 2019, 11:31:18 AM11/17/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
So far no one has addressed my question:

Do I tell a submitter that I've combined his or her definition with another? If the definitions aren't exactly the same but too similar to separate them, how do I decide how to combine them? This is a new issue for me!

Judy

France International/Mike Shefler

Nov 17, 2019, 11:33:14 AM11/17/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I do not tell them this has happened until after voting is closed. I don't see any need to do so before that.

--Mike

Judy Madnick

Nov 17, 2019, 11:44:18 AM11/17/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. Now to figure out how to handle the wording. <sigh> Always a new issue!

Judy

Nov 17, 2019, 11:55:06 AM11/17/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Combining defs is always optional.

Efrem Mallach

Nov 17, 2019, 12:00:12 PM11/17/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Unless the two are identical word for word. The rules leave no wiggle room in that unlikely case.

FWIW, I’ve never told people, but I tend to be conservative in combining so they’ve always (AFAIK) been able to figure it out.

Efrem

Sent from my iPhone

Daniel B Widdis

Nov 17, 2019, 12:57:21 PM11/17/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I usually say so to stave off the “where’s my def?” question when it changes, but I try to do so in a general way “combined with another def” without giving away whether it’s another player or the real one.

Judy Madnick

Nov 17, 2019, 1:07:37 PM11/17/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Dan,

So you actually say that two definitions were combined with/without indicating which definition is that combination?  (That's two questions. LOL!)

Judy

From: on behalf of Judy Madnick
Date: Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 8:31 AM
Subject: [Dixonary] Question

So far no one has addressed my question:

Do I tell a submitter that I've combined his or her definition with another? If the definitions aren't exactly the same but too similar to separate them, how do I decide how to combine them? This is a new issue for me!

Judy

Daniel B Widdis

Nov 17, 2019, 1:23:59 PM11/17/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

If I’ve non-trivially changed someone’s def (usually by adding words to it in combination, or simplifying a lot) I’ll just say, “I’ve combined your def with another similar one.”  Quick and to the point.  They’d figure that much out when the defs were posted anyway, so it’s not like I’m telling them anything.

Judy Madnick

Nov 17, 2019, 1:26:07 PM11/17/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like I don't have to say anything at all if I prefer not to. :-)

Judy

From: on behalf of Judy Madnick
Date: Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 10:07 AM

Dan,

So you actually say that two definitions were combined with/without indicating which definition is that combination?  (That's two questions. LOL!)

Judy

Nov 17, 2019, 1:37:03 PM11/17/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Hugo. I don't want to say anymore, but when the round is over, I can explain further.

Judy