Round 3062 HENEDICAL Defs - Vote Now!

Tim Lodge

Apr 1, 2020, 7:58:32 AM4/1/20
to Dixonary
Here, brought to you at enormous expense from beautiful locked-down downtown* Bray, are 12 hand-crafted defs of the word HENEDICAL, only one of which came from my dictionary.  Please vote for your two favourites by public reply to this message before the deadline of:

               21:00 BST on Thursday 2nd April, which is
               20:00 GMT/UTC
               22:00 CEST
                 4:00 PM EDT
                 1.00 PM PDT
                09:00 NZDT on Friday in New Zealand

* I'm not sure that the centre of Bray, comprising two three-star restaurants, two pubs, a ladies' hairdressers, and a gift shop, all within 200 yards, really counts as a downtown!

 *** HENIDICAL ***

 1.  pear-shaped.

 2.  authoritarian; imperious.

 3.  anything that tends to arouse.

 4.  characterized by the indecision of a hen.

 5.  luckless, unlucky, ill-omened, uncanny.

 6.  involving or characterized by vague perceptions or sensations.

 7.  having the properties of two inter-connected oblate spheroids.

 8.  a medicinal preparation composed mainly of herbal or vegetable matter.

 9.  tending to curve outwards, e.g. of some feathers on the wings of raptors.

10.  a civil magistrate or similar government official in some European countries.

11.  a figure in which a complex idea is expressed by two words connected by a copulative conjunction.

12.  of or relating to the Henides: three star clusters near, but not generally considered part of, the constellation Auriga.

Efrem G Mallach

Apr 1, 2020, 8:04:00 AM4/1/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Tim,

The word as originally posted was HENIDICAL. The subject line and first para. of this have HENEDICAL. The fourth letters are different. At least some of the definitions seem to hinge on having "I" there. Which is it?

Efrem

Judy Madnick

Apr 1, 2020, 9:20:44 AM4/1/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Spelling difference makes no difference to me. LOL!

 1.  pear-shaped.

 7.  having the properties of two inter-connected oblate spheroids

Judy Madnick

Albany, NY

Johnb - co.uk

Apr 1, 2020, 9:25:24 AM4/1/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

#6 and #11 for me please

and is Bray the Bray that according to Wiki contains "2 of the 5 Michelin 3-star restaurants in the UK"

JohnnyB

* I'm not sure that the centre of Bray, comprising two three-star restaurants, two pubs, a ladies' hairdressers, and a gift shop, all within 200 yards, really counts as a downtown!

 6.  involving or characterized by vague perceptions or sensations.

11.  a figure in which a complex idea is expressed by two words connected by a copulative conjunction.

France International/Mike Shefler

Apr 1, 2020, 9:51:00 AM4/1/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
3 and 11 seem to go together. Now I'm going to look up copulative
conjunction.

Debbie

Apr 1, 2020, 10:09:27 AM4/1/20
to Dixonary
7 and 9 please. Voting before I resume my state of stupor.

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 9:51 AM France International/Mike Shefler <sta...@salsgiver.com> wrote:
3 and 11 seem to go together. Now I'm going to look up copulative
conjunction.

~Bending under the weight of His mercies~

Through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Through Him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the Law of Moses (Acts 13:38-39)

Dave Cunningham

Apr 1, 2020, 10:38:54 AM4/1/20
to Dixonary
5, and 11 for "copulative"

Dave

Tim B

Apr 1, 2020, 12:38:47 PM4/1/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
1 and 6, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Daniel B Widdis

Apr 1, 2020, 1:29:37 PM4/1/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

6 looks vaguely true and I’ll join the copulative conjunction crowd on 11.

Tim Lodge

Apr 1, 2020, 2:07:58 PM4/1/20
to Dixonary
Efrem

Very sorry - a slip of the keyboard..  It is HENIDICAL.

--  Tim L
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixo...@googlegroups.com.

Tim Lodge

Apr 1, 2020, 2:18:14 PM4/1/20
to Dixonary
Johnny

   >> and is Bray the Bray that according to Wiki contains "2 of the 5 Michelin 3-star restaurants in the UK" <<

Yes.  I've never eaten at Heston Blumenthal's"Fat Duck", but we have occasionally been to the late Michel Roux's "Waterside" on special occasions.  Both are within easy walking distance, in fact I passed them both today on my daily permitted exercise.  One of the pubs has a single Michelin star as well.  Not for nothing is Bray known as the gastronomic capital of Berkshire.  In normal times we get Japanese tourists making pilgrimages!

--  Tim L

Christopher Carson

Apr 1, 2020, 5:53:35 PM4/1/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I’ll join the 6 and 11 crowd.

Chris

nancygoat

Apr 1, 2020, 6:50:35 PM4/1/20
to Dixonary
I'll go somewhat against the flow with 5 and 9.

Nancy

Ryan McGill

Apr 1, 2020, 7:31:49 PM4/1/20
to Dixonary
How about 1 & 7?

 1.  pear-shaped.

Efrem G Mallach

Apr 1, 2020, 10:01:26 PM4/1/20
to 'Efrem G Mallach' via Dixonary
I think I drove past a 7-11 store today. Or maybe it was a different day. Or I was walking. Or a different store, or maybe not a store at all. No matter; them's my votes.

Efrem

On Apr 1, 2020, at 7:58 AM, Tim Lodge <d...@timlodge.co.uk> wrote:

[...]

Shani Naylor

Apr 2, 2020, 2:24:05 AM4/2/20