Round 2981 results

Shani Naylor

May 7, 2019, 2:40:56 AM5/7/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

I'm ending the voting early for our word NORMCORE as everyone who sent a def has voted (and a few more besides). Our winner, with 5 natural points, is Mike S. Nancy S and Efrem M gained 4 points, but Nancy is in coveted second place because hers are of the natural variety.

Take it away Mike!

1.       A style of dressing that involves the deliberate choice of unremarkable or unfashionable casual clothes.
Oxford Dictionaries D4
Votes from Tim B, Efrem M, Guerri S & Tim L.

2.       [stat.] The set of all points in a finite distribution that fall within one standard deviation of its mean.
Efrem M, who voted *1 & 9. Score: 4
Votes from Nancy S & Judy M.

3.       A form of popular music in which the lyrics cover mundane subjects and are delivered in a monotonous drone.
Tim L, who voted *1 & 6. Score: 2

4.       The basis from which the geothermal gradient is calculated.
Debbie E, who voted 9 & 10. Score: 1
Vote from Tim B.

5.       Sunken panel or coffer in a ceiling
Judy M, who voted 2 & 7. Score: 2
Votes from Dan W & Mike S.

6.       [N.Z.]  A potato and tuna sandwich.
Dave C, who voted 9 & 10. Score: 2
Votes from Dan W & Tim L.

7.       [Stat] A point on a normal distribution within half a standard deviation of the mean.
Johnny B, who was DQ. Score: 2
Votes from Nancy S & Judy M.

8.       In a workplace operating flexible working hours, the basic hours that all staff are expected to work unless otherwise agreed.
Tim B, who voted *1 & 4. Score: 2

9.       Grey stucco applied to a building.
Mike Shefler, who voted 5 & 10. Score: 5
Votes from Tony A, Debbie E, Efrem M, Dave C & Guerri S.

10.   Primary manufactured plastic used is a raw material; usu. supplied in pellet form.
Nancy S, who voted 2 & 7. Score: 4
Votes from Tony A, Mike S, Debbie E & Dave C.

No def:

Tony A, who voted 9 & 10. Score: 0

Dan W, who voted 5 & 6. Score: 0

Guerri S, who voted *1 & 9. Score: 2

Ryan M, DQ.

Ryan McGill

May 7, 2019, 11:18:50 AM5/7/19
to Dixonary
I think maybe if any of you are happening to want to use normcore in conversation in the future, it would be helpful to know, that despite being "casual", it doesn't include the t-shirt, unless it's of a solid color or a henley style—and occasionally a ringer. But a polo or woven button-up is perfectly acceptable.

And probably no shorts, unless they're a simple woven fabric. The main go-to is nondescript: no patterns or images or logos apart from maybe the label.

A lot of people think the costuming on Seinfeld is a good reference point. So perhaps less "casual" and more "office casual"? For what it's worth; seemed like Oxford missed some of the subtlety of the trend by summing it up as  "casual".

Johnb - co.uk

May 7, 2019, 12:25:00 PM5/7/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

This was part of my declaring DQ to Shani

Normcore (in this country) is a phrase that means normal-looking Unisex clothing but has been hyped up by Vogue and other such people to become a fashion line eg..quote from Vogue "Born in jest several years ago from the conflation of 'normal' and 'hardcore', the word 'normcore' refers to the obsession of appearing normal in order to express ones specialness"

in a subsequent email to Shani I said

I was intrigued about making nothing unusual into something to rave about - it stuck me then (and still does) as the sign of a culture that has lost its way  -with nothing to say and yet having to say it anyway

JohnnyB

Ryan McGill