Round 3022 vote for OPLÜSE

Mike Shefler

Oct 23, 2019, 10:31:42 AM10/23/19
to Dixonary
Here are 14 lovely definitions for OPLÜSE. Vote for  your two favorites no later than 5 PM, EDT, Thursday, October 24.

1.  having curly hair.

2.  the sorrow one feels and accepts as necessary in one's life.

3.  a superlative-abundance.

4.  to present, bring forward or exhibit anything that has been under
cover or in concealment.

5.  in Nordic mythology, a sea creature in the shape of a beautiful
woman, said to lure sailors to their death by drowning.

6.  a photographic phenomenon that can produce a ghostly image in a
mirror or darkened window.

7.  a form of decoration on the stem of a Viking longboat.

8.  gorse.

9.  a jar.

10.  the original convent of a religious community.

11.  guelder rose shrub, _viburnum opulus_, [fr Latin opulus, a small tree
used for training vines]

12.  a maid of the kaiserin's bedchamber in the Austro-Hungarian empire.

13.  [Swed.] fish roe.

14.  a function which returns its input as its result.

Dave Cunningham

Oct 23, 2019, 11:18:57 AM10/23/19
to Dixonary
2 and 14 for no reason at all.

Dave

Tim B

Oct 23, 2019, 2:50:10 PM10/23/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
12 and 13, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Judy Madnick

Oct 23, 2019, 3:02:44 PM10/23/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
6. A photographic phenomenon that can that produce a ghostly image in a mirror or darkened window.
     and
7.  a form of decoration on the stem of a Viking longboat.

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

Efrem G Mallach

Oct 23, 2019, 4:45:24 PM10/23/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with the old Norse 5 and 7. I don't believe them, but I don't believe any of the others either.

Efrem

On Oct 23, 2019, at 10:31 AM, Mike Shefler <sta...@salsgiver.com> wrote:

Here are 14 lovely definitions for OPLÜSE. Vote for  your two favorites no later than 5 PM, EDT, Thursday, October 24.

5.  in Nordic mythology, a sea creature in the shape of a beautiful woman, said to lure sailors to their death by drowning.

Tim Lodge

Oct 23, 2019, 5:48:19 PM10/23/19
to Dixonary
1 and 8, please.

1.  having curly hair.

8.  gorse.

--  Tim L

Shani Naylor

Oct 23, 2019, 9:08:44 PM10/23/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
3 & 13 for me.

Daniel B Widdis

Oct 23, 2019, 9:22:57 PM10/23/19
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I believe 6 and think 5 is appropriate for the season.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 23, 2019, at 7:31 AM, Mike Shefler <sta...@salsgiver.com> wrote:

Debbie

Oct 24, 2019, 8:07:49 AM10/24/19
to Dixonary
Throws dart.... 2 and 13 please.

Stephen Dixon

Oct 24, 2019, 10:30:58 AM10/24/19
to Dixonary Group
Gimme:

#4 - bring forward

and

#11 - the guelder rose

Stephen Dixon
email: steved...@gmail.com

With the right music, you either forget everything...OR, you remember everything.

nancygoat

Oct 24, 2019, 11:26:45 PM10/24/19
to Dixonary
I'll take 1 and 6