Round 3115: LICORN [Definitions]

Paul Keating

Oct 27, 2020, 7:37:36 PM10/27/20
to Dixonary

I can’t now imagine why I set a definition deadline of midnight, but there it is.

Here are 14 definitions of licorn, some of which came from a dictionary, and one even from a dictionary article about the word licorn.  Please vote for two of them, in reply to this posting, by the deadline, which is 18h00 CET on Thursday 29 October, just under 40 hours from now. Other times for other places here.

  1. a callow youth.

  2. a hexagonal paving tile or stone.

  3. an obsolete unit of length equal to one-third of an inch.

  4. (also: bicorn) a fore-and-aft naval version of a tricorn hat.

  5. Russian howitzer, adopted first in 1744 [French licorne ‘unicorn’].

  6. a small portable altar, carried by Roman legions on their campaigns; mentioned in Caesar, Bellum Gallicum, book 6.

  7. a licorn is a term in the business world to indicate a privately held startup company valued at over $50 billion (see unicorn)

  8. a mythical creature with the head and body of a lion, trunk and tusks of an elephant, the comb of a rooster, and the wings of a bird.

  9. a style of painting characterized by heavy layering of pigment and precise removal of areas, creating a dimensional image.

  10. Bot. a genus of grasses bearing spikes of flowers resembling the cornucopia in form.

  11. the metallic device used to measure your feet at the shoe store.

  12. of or relating to divination using the entrails of a goat.

  13. a short-neck stringed instrument similar to a lute.

  14. around the corner.

Efrem G Mallach

Oct 27, 2020, 7:46:22 PM10/27/20
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
Paul -

Not a vote (yet), but the text of your email says the deadline is "18h00 CET" (or 6 pm to those of us who tell time in the American way), but the linked page says it's 4 pm (or 16h00 to those of us who tell time in the European way). Can you tell us which it is?

Thanks,

Efrem

Paul Keating

Oct 27, 2020, 7:53:28 PM10/27/20
to Dixonary
(I already knew midnight was a mistake.) In such cases one must take the least restrictive option, so 18h00 CET stands and here is the revised link.

Judy Madnick

Oct 27, 2020, 7:56:03 PM10/27/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
With our move occurring on Thursday, I'm going to vote quickly so that I don't have to worry about it!

2 and 10, please.

Judy

Oct 27, 2020, 11:45:21 PM10/27/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go for 5 and 13.

Daniel B Widdis

Oct 28, 2020, 4:15:56 AM10/28/20
to Dixonary

I thought of doing something like 7 but that one’s more believable than what I would have said.  And kudos to 8’s author who gets my vote for the rooster’s comb, although a turkey wattle would be more seasonal.

Tim B

Oct 28, 2020, 5:10:29 AM10/28/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
5 and 10, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Johnb - co.uk

Oct 28, 2020, 5:49:57 AM10/28/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

 #5 and #14 please

(and as the list changes number when you delete items then you'll have to go back and look)

JohnnyB

Tim Lodge

Oct 28, 2020, 7:40:56 AM10/28/20
to Dixonary
Are you sure you included the real one?  I'll try 1 and 3.

1. a callow youth.

3. an obsolete unit of length equal to one-third of an inch.

--  Tim L

amal...@comcast.net

Oct 28, 2020, 7:55:40 AM10/28/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I share Tim’s skepticism. Still, I’ll try 5 and 10.

Alan

Dave Cunningham

Oct 28, 2020, 11:17:07 AM10/28/20
to Dixonary
3 and 6 and back to "remote schooling" grandson.   The classes are not well done at all. Sigh.

Dave

Efrem G Mallach

Oct 28, 2020, 12:10:46 PM10/28/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll try 8 and 9, for the simple reason that I eliminated all the others first. I probably would have eliminated them too, had I gone through the defs in a different order, but I didn't.

Efrem

========================

Ryan McGill

Oct 28, 2020, 12:43:49 PM10/28/20
to Dixonary
Let's go with 4 and 14.

Shani Naylor

Oct 28, 2020, 3:33:42 PM10/28/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll try the popular 5 & the less popular 3

3. an obsolete unit of length equal to one-third of an inch.
5. Russian howitzer, adopted first in 1744 [French licorne ‘unicorn’].

nancygoat

Oct 29, 2020, 3:01:30 AM10/29/20
to Dixonary
I'll take 1 and "double" it for 13.