Round 3085 QUINSELL Defs - Vote Now!

Tim Lodge

Jul 2, 2020, 5:17:18 PM7/2/20
to Dixonary
Here we have 13 imaginative defs of the word QUINSELL, only one of which comes from my dictionary.  Please vote for your two favoutites by public reply to this message before the deadline, which is:

          10:00 BST on Saturday 4th July, which is:
          11:00 CET
          09:00 GMT/UTC
           5:00 AM EDT
           2:00 AM PDT
          21:00 NZST in New Zealand

New players are welcome - just don't look up the word until after you've voted.

--  Tim L

 *** QUINSELL ***

 1.  a small light boat.

 2.  blackcurrant berries.

 3.  [Printing] 3 point type.

 4.  [Obs. Rare]  a rein for a horse.

 5.  a berry that grows in a cluster of five.

 6.  [Bot.] a bud on a flower that fails to bloom.

 7.  a province of Ireland [<NF, tr. Ir. _cúige_ ‘fifth part, province’]

 8.  one who aids the enemy; a puppet leader supported by foreign power.

 9.  decorative treatment of leather with colours and acids to produce a lace-like effect.

10.  a drum attached to the wheel in old sailing ships, around which the rudder cables were wound.

11.  (Obs., var. QUINSEL), a measure of dry produce equivalent to five bushels, used primarily for grains.

12.  a low-growing European woodland plant with small leaves in clusters of five, having traditional medical and culinary uses.

13.  a flensing tool consisting of two contoured blades which flare outward from the cutting surface with perpendicular handles at both ends.

14.  the date January 0 in an annual ephemeris. It keeps the date in the year for which the ephemeris was published, thus avoiding any reference to the previous year, even though it is the same day as December 31 of the previous year.

France International/Mike Shefler

Jul 2, 2020, 5:20:14 PM7/2/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with 9 and 14.

Judy Madnick

Jul 2, 2020, 5:32:23 PM7/2/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll take 9 and 13 today.

 9.   decorative treatment of leather with colours and acids to produce a lace-like effect.

13.  a flensing tool consisting of two contoured blades which flare outward from the cutting surface with perpendicular handles at both ends.

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

Johnb - co.uk

Jul 3, 2020, 4:11:16 AM7/3/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

for want of any better ideas #4 and #14 please

JohnnyB

Tim Lodge

Jul 3, 2020, 7:17:47 AM7/3/20
to Dixonary
Tim Bourne has voted by email for 9 and 13.

-- Tim L

Paul Keating

Jul 3, 2020, 11:42:15 AM7/3/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
9 & 13 for me.

amal...@comcast.net

Jul 3, 2020, 11:53:09 AM7/3/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Some of them clearly don’t make sense, but none of them make a lot of sense. Being baffled, I’ll go with 10 and 12.

Alan

Debbie

Jul 3, 2020, 1:01:37 PM7/3/20
to Dixonary
4 and 10 please. I'm thinking we all need to play cards or something else for a couple of months because our definitions are sounding more and more alike. Last round and this round especially.

--
~Bending under the weight of His mercies~

Through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Through Him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the Law of Moses (Acts 13:38-39)

Efrem G Mallach

Jul 3, 2020, 2:39:47 PM7/3/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
12 and 13, to prove I read (almost) all the way to the end.

Efrem

======================

On Jul 2, 2020, at 5:17 PM, Tim Lodge <d...@timlodge.co.uk> wrote:

Here we have 13 imaginative defs of the word QUINSELL, only one of which comes from my dictionary.  Please vote for your two favoutites by public reply to this message before the deadline, which is:

          10:00 BST on Saturday 4th July, which is:
          11:00 CET
          09:00 GMT/UTC
           5:00 AM EDT
           2:00 AM PDT
          21:00 NZST in New Zealand

New players are welcome - just don't look up the word until after you've voted.

--  Tim L

 *** QUINSELL ***

Daniel B Widdis

Jul 3, 2020, 3:49:54 PM7/3/20
to Dixonary

This is probably an obscure word so I’ll go with the obscure defs, 4 and 11.

Shani Naylor

Jul 4, 2020, 4:29:56 AM7/4/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Berries for me: 2 & 5