Round 3137 vote for RAENIN

Mike Shefler

Jan 25, 2021, 4:31:05 PM1/25/21
to Dixonary
Here are 13 definitions for RAENIN, one of which came from a respectable dictionary.
Vote for your 2 favorites no later than 10 ASM, EST, Wednesday, January 27.

1.  a patent medicine in composition similar to laudanum, sold in central
and eastern Europe early in the twentieth century.

2.  [Japanese] a public servant who administers community funds; a
treasurer, bursar, or tax collector.

3.  whimpering.

4.  a leaflike or scalelike plant part, usually small, sometimes showy or
brightly colored, and located just below a flower, a flower stalk, or
an inflorescence.

5.  a complex polysaccharide occurring in certain species of mosses.

6.  the chemical element that gives Scotch Whisky its 'peaty' flavor.

7.  an artificial rennin substitute used in cheese making.

8.  [So called from Wm. Raenin, of Edinburgh, who first proposed it.]
(Opt.) An instrument for experiments in polarization, consisting of a
rhomb of Iceland spar, which has been bisected obliquely at a certain
angle, and the two parts again joined with transparent cement, so
that the ordinary image produced by double refraction is thrown out
of the field by total reflection from the internal cemented surface,
and the extraordinary, or polarized, image alone is transmitted.

9.  the third sign of the Japanese zodiac.

10.  sculptures, usually small, made of volcanic stone.

11.  a tree-climbing crab found in the Marshall Ialands.

12.  the principle protein in corn (maize).

13.  a sauce prepared from fermented fish, much used by the ancient
Romans; in 16th and 17th centuries recommended (after classical
writers) as a medicine for horses.

Judy Madnick

Jan 25, 2021, 4:47:47 PM1/25/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I think I'll vote for those that seem least likely to me (in the order of their least likeliness!) since I don't have a good guess:

3.  whimpering.

and

2.  [Japanese] a public servant who administers community funds; a treasurer, bursar, or tax collector.

Judy Madnick

Debbie

Jan 25, 2021, 5:48:12 PM1/25/21
to Dixonary
6 and 7

~Bending under the weight of His mercies~

      ***Fear is not a Virtue***

Fein, Deborah

Jan 25, 2021, 6:17:06 PM1/25/21
to Dixonary
As usual, not the slightest.  I'll go with 9 and 13.

Jan 25, 2021, 6:21:09 PM1/25/21
to Dixonary Group
Deborah,

I see you are a part of the University of Connecticut community. Let me just say that I have been an ardent fan of your women's basketball team since early in the 1994-95 season.

And I am looking forward to big things this season, and for the next 3-5, based on recent recruiting coups.

Go Huskies!

Steve  Dixon

      -- "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool."  ~Anonymous

Hero’s fall Cunningham

Jan 25, 2021, 6:21:47 PM1/25/21
to Dixonary

2 as a maybe, and 8 for effort

Dave

Paul Keating

Jan 26, 2021, 2:05:31 AM1/26/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
2 & 5 for me.

Daniel B Widdis

Jan 26, 2021, 2:30:30 AM1/26/21
to Dixonary

The mental image of a tree-climbing crab gets a vote. Do they climb sideways?

And I’ll have a glass of scotch with that.

4 and 11

Johnb - co.uk

Jan 26, 2021, 3:34:46 AM1/26/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
with no ideas #5 and #8 please

JohnnyB

Tim B

Jan 26, 2021, 4:34:53 AM1/26/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
2 and 5, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Tony Abell

Jan 26, 2021, 10:08:23 AM1/26/21
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary

I'll take 3 and the unpopular 10:

> 3. whimpering.

Ryan McGill

Jan 26, 2021, 1:26:01 PM1/26/21
to Dixonary
Let's go with 5 & 8.

Efrem G Mallach

Jan 26, 2021, 2:35:24 PM1/26/21
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
With a high probability of being wrong, I'll go with the Japanese 2 and 9.

Efrem

========================

On Jan 25, 2021, at 4:31 PM, 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Here are 13 definitions for RAENIN, one of which came from a respectable dictionary.
Vote for your 2 favorites no later than 10 ASM, EST, Wednesday, January 27.

2.  [Japanese] a public servant who administers community funds; a treasurer, bursar, or tax collector.

ALAN MALLACH

Jan 26, 2021, 5:06:42 PM1/26/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'm at a total loss, but I think I'll go with biology and chemistry. I'll try 5 and 6.
Alan

Shani Naylor

Jan 27, 2021, 12:21:48 AM1/27/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Plants for me - 4 & 5.

Stephen Dixon

Jan 27, 2021, 8:00:50 AM1/27/21
to Dixonary Group
For reasons I can't really explain, I am taking 4 & 12.

#4  and  #12